wd

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Bacardi
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

wd

Postby Bacardi » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:34 pm

Last edited by Bacardi on Thu May 17, 2007 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:56 pm

Lukewarm water and Sunlight Liquid. Swish around a few times and rinse with clean water.
I have never oiled any of my filters and I can't see the reason why either :shock:
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:39 pm

Duck Rogers wrote:I have never oiled any of my filters and I can't see the reason why either :shock:
If you don't oil the filter you loose a LARGE amount of its filtering ability, the result ? More dust into the engine resulting in shorter engine life. The oil captures all the finest dust particles.

These filters are designed to be oiled so oil them !

Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Dre'man
Flying low - mind the power lines
Flying low - mind the power lines

Postby Dre'man » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:44 pm

K & N advised me on Bikes filters not to clean with petrol. Apparently damages the fibres effecting airflow.

Advised to only use their expensive cleaning agent. .or if I can't find that Sunlight soap and water is just as good. Found myself not looking too hard for cleaner. But must oil after clean filter has dried.
Flying below power lines on DS650X
And above in nothing
"Too much power is just enough"
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:33 pm

Rudix wrote:If you don't oil the filter you loose a LARGE amount of its filtering ability, the result ? More dust into the engine resulting in shorter engine life.
My previous 582 with more than 800 hours under the belt doesn't think so
The oil captures all the finest dust particles
And blocks the filter quicker. Looks like a catch 22 to me.

Tomatoes, tomeitous......potatoes, potatous :shock:
To each his own.........
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:43 pm

Duck Rogers wrote:
Rudix wrote:If you don't oil the filter you loose a LARGE amount of its filtering ability, the result ? More dust into the engine resulting in shorter engine life.
My previous 582 with more than 800 hours under the belt doesn't think so
The oil captures all the finest dust particles
And blocks the filter quicker. Looks like a catch 22 to me.

Tomatoes, tomeitous......potatoes, potatous :shock:
To each his own.........
So would you rather have the dust in the engine than on the filter ?

However long your 582 lasts, remember it would have lasted longer with oil on the filter :D If it blocks it shows that it is doing its job.

In the bike racing world this discussion went on for a while, till someone showed how much dust gets through an un oiled filter, that was the end of the story now they all oil (The ones who know what they are doing anyway !)

Washing it with petrol expands the fibres, causing less air to get to the engine.....
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Tjoek
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Filters

Postby Tjoek » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Where is a good place to get hold of filter oil? Available from the average autospares shop?
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:19 pm

Rudix wrote: If it blocks it shows that it is doing its job.
Yep, and then I have to do mine.......ie. execute a forced landing :shock:
Lest we go round in circles, I'm happy with what works for me. Thanks for the info regarding the bikes.
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Oil Filter Oil

Postby ZULU1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:50 am

I have been using teepol for years, we used the same procedure in my previous industrial position in various installations.

Rotax uses K&N oil spray but for the past few years I have been using "King Dragon" filter oil which is sold nationwide by Jamex the Dutch sourced street racers suppliers. They also make a very nice range of air filters in competition to K&N and worth a look if you require a replacement. The King dragon is yellow and is very easy to view its coverage after spraying. I would imagine its performance is similar to K&N but is much more freely available in Deben as we have many Street racers which means more suppliers...

Always use oil..

Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:01 am

I see Autosport sell all brands of oils and cleaning kits, Jamex, King dragon, BMC and K&N. so shouldnt be a problem just the price..

http://www.autostyle.co.za/prodview.php ... dstr=&str=

Be interesting to see what prices you come up with and maybe post them here...

eish Zulu1
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:29 am

Duck Rogers wrote:Yep, and then I have to do mine.......ie. execute a forced landing :shock:
:shock: Well if that happens you did NOT do your (preflight) job at all :D

But like you say, it works for you......

I have been buying the K&N oil from bike shops.

Regards,
Rudi
Reza
Looking at the sky

Postby Reza » Mon May 14, 2007 12:18 pm

After much research I have been advised that rinsing in 2-stroke mixed fuel is the way to go, drop filter in a small can to let the dust/ hair etc fall off then rinse in another can and replace. 8)
The 2-stroke residue is oil enough :lol:
K&N spray oil, its hard to ensure right dosage so most of the time you are putting on too much :!: resulting in more time on the ground:(
This info was from the birdman with the most hours in Africa. 8)
Backed up by the professor!
If it has worked for his engines for the last 20yrs it will work for mine :wink:
Tried and tested :!:
Howzit from the warm heart of Africa
Keep smiling & styling!
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Mon May 14, 2007 5:18 pm

In with Reza on this one... use two stoke mixture. Cleaned filters twice in 40 hours operation and the filters are definitely picking up the dust :D
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
cobra
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: Filters

Postby cobra » Mon May 14, 2007 5:23 pm

demon wrote:Both work Bac - as long as the filter is clean.
I prefer warm water and sunlight, and always spray K&N oil on them afterwards
Agreed, cleaning it with petrol is a big no no for reasons given.
Tjoek wrote:Where is a good place to get hold of filter oil? Available from the average autospares shop?
Collected K&N spray oil from Aviation Engines (R79), must admit, I did not make to much effort in finding it at local autospares shops, try the bike shops
Aerotrike Cobra
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Filters

Postby Rudix » Mon May 14, 2007 6:09 pm

cobra wrote:
demon wrote:Both work Bac - as long as the filter is clean.
I prefer warm water and sunlight, and always spray K&N oil on them afterwards
Agreed, cleaning it with petrol is a big no no for reasons given.
Tjoek wrote:Where is a good place to get hold of filter oil? Available from the average autospares shop?
Collected K&N spray oil from Aviation Engines (R79), must admit, I did not make to much effort in finding it at local autospares shops, try the bike shops
As it has been said before, the petrol causes the fibers to swell in the filter material, causing less airflow, a richer mixture and less power. This is according to Rotax, Jabiru and K&N (And many top bike racers/tuners)

On my Rotax 618 the difference between a clean filter, in the past cleaned with petrol, and a new clean filter was a bit more than 200 rpm at top end ! I have now washed the new filter once with water and "sunlight liquid" and the top rpm stayed where it was with the new filter, even washing the old filter in soap and water did not restore the rpm.

I recently bought a large spray can of K&N filter oil from my local Midas store, this is the can that is about double the normal size, for R 59.99, will last me a LONG time. Due to the red colour of the oil it is very easy to get the filter evenly covered with it as you can see where more is needed, it only takes a minute to spray a filter.

Fly safe,
Rudi