Installing a standby Electric Fuel Pump

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:03 am

Im about to do this on my plane now but I still cant make up my mind as to go series or paralell :? each argument has it own merits and I suppose it will now be a personal thing, but a good man once told me not to redesign the weel :!: so what to do :?: I decided that since I has saved Morph`s bacon a time or two to fit it in series, now can I fit it vertical? or must it be horisontal? :?:

Cheers guys
San
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:13 am

I have never tested it installed vertically but I don't think it will be a problem, especially if you have the in on the top. Logic tells me as long as there is liquid all the way though it will pump up down any way.

The best thing if you are unsure is test it. :idea:
Greg Perkins
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:23 pm

If I remember correctly the documentation with the pump has some guidelines how to mount it. I'm also sure vertical will work. Ideally you want it lower than the tank to always autoprime, although the documentation says it is an auto priming pump. Mine is mounted at a height equivalent to the top of the tank horizontaly in series, and work fine.

Regards
Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Splitter
First solo

Postby Splitter » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:20 pm

I just finished building a Cheetah from kit and installed this Facet Electric fuel pump in series at a much higher level than the fuel tank. With no fuel in the system, only in the tank, I switched on the pump and it sucked the fuel through to the carbs. :D Three turns of the prop and this brand new 912S fired like a dream. (^^) You can install this pump in any position Horizontal or Vertical and it wil still work. The Manufacturers recommend a in series installation for this.
Born to Fly
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:20 pm

Ill install vertacally and in series below the tank :!: I think that way Ive got it coverd :!:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:02 pm

The Facet pump is primarily a "push" pump.
It will "suck" ok, but not if it has to strain too much, such as having a dirty fuel filter in front of the inlet, coupled with an installation above the fuel tank.
The safest way is to install it below the fuel tank.
Don't worry about installing it below the fuel tank, it will pump up to 2 metres height quite easily.
It can be installed horisontally or vertically...makes no difference :D

Duck Rogers
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Reza
Looking at the sky

Facet Electric Fuel Pump

Postby Reza » Tue May 15, 2007 5:53 pm

Just bought a FACET pump thought you guys may want the fitting destructions 8)
First Specs:
on the box number is 40105 alternate number is 40242.
on the pump number is EFP-3 other side 50104 and 051805.
12volts and 1.5-4PSI.

Installation(negative ground system only) :wink:
1.Select mounting location.A clean section of the frame away from an area susceptible to damage, exhaust systems, and must be within (12) vertical inches from the fuel tank (bottom).
2.Position the pump in an upward direction at 45degrees away from the tank. Mark and drill 2 x 7/32 inch holes into the frame aligned to the mounting bracket.(probably better to use the 60mm stainless steel u-bolt for airys)
3.Fix the pump to the frame using 1/4 inch selftapping hex head screws, or nylocks and washers for 60mm u-bolt.Capture the black(neg) wire to the 2nd screw,CAUTION: if using the u-bolt make sure its making contact, probably wont due to paint rather find a better place for the neg wire where you are sure its making contact.
4.Install the fuel filter 74micron (diesel filter for mix fuel) on the INLET reconnect fuel line and clean up spilled fuel.
5.Connect the Red (positive) power lead to the ignition switch voltage supply terminal (include a inline fuse 10AMP?).(a seperate on/off switch can be placed in line)
6.Reconnect the battery terminals.
7.Turn ignition switch to ON and start engine.
Observe the pump is operating by hearing a vibrating sound from it, check fuel lines for leaks.

8)
I hope it helps you all out :lol:
I have one question is it best to wire it up this way or is to the battery or alternate power line(lights) better? (Id rather avoid messing with the ignition wires although i heard that if you cut all ignition wires the engine keeps running :?: :roll:
Howzit from the warm heart of Africa
Keep smiling & styling!
CLU-less
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby CLU-less » Sat May 19, 2007 11:23 pm

Hi DH,
The truth is out Morph's pic is of my dream machine and the filter has now been replaced with a Merc Diesel filter and as per Morph's diagram the filter has been placed before the electric pump. :oops: :oops: :oops:

After a flight to Camps Bay we were climbing to 4500ft to see the top of Table Mountain and the Peninsula when my engine suddenly dropped in rev's :shock: :shock: :shock: and I quickly headed back towards Green Point Common where there are plenty of fields to land on. I had no more problems and made it back to Morning Star.

With the help of my pal Donald we checked the float bowls and found the level to be low and then discovered that the Electric pump when turned on wasnt pumping fuel to the carb. This could only mean that either the filter was blocked or the pump was faulty. After removing the pump it was tested by my other pal Stephan (Great people at Morning Star) only to find it was pumping OK. Next the filter was removed to find that the fuel enters the inner chamber of the filter and exits through to the outside of the element hence no sign of dirt in the filter. "Out Damn Filter' and in with Merc Filter+ move pump as per Mr Morpheus's Diag.

The filter had a paper type filter element and although it was checked visually for dirt it always looked clean but was very dirty on the inside. The filter is indeed Italian and I considered fitting a mesh filter but have been unable to find one if indeed they are available.

Hope this helps.
Note to oneself: Take note of the various discussions on Microlighters. :idea: :idea: :idea:
cjkrit
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Re: Installing a standby Electric Fuel Pump

Postby cjkrit » Sat Jun 07, 2008 11:02 am

See my posting under "BACKUP FUEL PUMPS"

I am looking for answers before staring my installation. Help please?
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Facet Electric Fuel Pump

Postby John Young » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:46 am

Reza wrote:I have one question is it best to wire it up this way or is to the battery or alternate power line(lights) better?
Hi,

I suggest a 100% independent circuit - direct from the battery with its own fuse and switch. :wink:

Here is another link - unfortunately the punctuation got a bit messed up when Microlighters changed over to this software. :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=3840&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Regards
John
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
REDROMAN
Whats the right frequency?

Postby REDROMAN » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:00 pm

I got a Facet fuel pump from midas.On inspection i saw it had a non return valve which made me think it is not the right one.If you place the pump inline with the fueltank the pump should not have a return valve???Want to use the pump at certain times and not all the time.Fuel must be able to flow through the elctric pump.
Aliwal North
Aquilla ZU-BZC
Carel
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Carel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 pm

One direction flow is all right - See earlier post.

Just install in right direction
REDROMAN

Postby REDROMAN » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:38 pm

Will the mechanical pump be strong enough to suck the fuel through the electrical pump if it is off.
Aliwal North
Aquilla ZU-BZC
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:49 pm

It should, there are hundreds of installations that work perfectly.

Wargames had a problem with his at full throttle but I think it was the restrictor inside his fuel flow sender was too small.

Install it, switch the pump on to prime the carbs. Check your float bowl levels. Then start without the electric pump and once warm crank the motor to max rpm. If you do have a fuel flow you should be reading about 22 liters per hour. If the revs start dropping off kill the motor and check the float bowls. If they are empty or lower than before you have a starvation problem.
Greg Perkins
REDROMAN

Postby REDROMAN » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:56 pm

Is there any way that the mechanical pump will work to hard - damaging the diaframe trying to suck the fuel through the electrical pump.Sorry for all the questions - but this is very important for me.
Aliwal North
Aquilla ZU-BZC