582 Blue Top/ 582 Silver Top.

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Blue Max
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Elands River Bush and Quad Camp. Loskop Valey S25 01 55.70 E029 08 02.35

582 Blue Top/ 582 Silver Top.

Postby Blue Max » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:39 pm

Sorry for my ignorance. :mrgreen:
Can anybody briefly explain to me what difference will there be in a Rotex 582 Blue Top with 480 HRS on the machine in comparison with a Sliver top, 582 with the same HRS.
Thanks very much.
Ek praat jou thaal...
Visit www.opencockpit.co.za to read about my Namibiee adventure...
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Re: 582 Blue Top/ 582 Silver Top.

Postby Air Hog » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:06 am

Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:33 pm

Blue Max wrote:Sorry for my ignorance. :mrgreen:
Can anybody briefly explain to me what difference will there be in a Rotex 582 Blue Top with 480 HRS on the machine in comparison with a Sliver top, 582 with the same HRS.
Thanks very much.
Paul...
Grey crankshaft = 17mm thick conrods and 24mm crankpin
Blue crankshaft = 18mm thick conrods and 26mm crankpin
by the way...Grey or Blue cranks makes no bloody difference. I see an equal number of crank failures.

Cooling system modified on the Bluetop to prevent cold seizures. Fly the Greytop right and you wont have a cold seizure either
Rubber seal on Greytop waterpump shaft changed to a Ceramic seal on the Bluetop. A definite improvement

That's only the changes between the two. I presume that's what you meant with your question otherwise its impossible to tell the difference because its 2 different motors flown differently in different conditions for 480 hrs. You will have to open them both up inspect and measure everything ( I don't think that's what you meant but that's what you asked vhpy )
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:04 am

Howdy puff

Flying my trike which is a Silver Top and having flown Oom Polla's Raptor over the Easter weekend which has a Blue Top...the only big difference I noticed is that when you put the silver top in a dive, it drops the water temp very quickly, so you have to keep her at an idle to maintain water temp...with the blue top, you do not see a drastic water temp change when thrown into a dive ##

Also with the warming up in the mornings, the Silver top does take a little longer, but nothing to write home about ^

On the performance side, I did not feel a difference in power -xX

So I would watch the water temp when doing a steep spiral dive or when you trying to lose altitude quickly...otherwise..alles is lekker :mrgreen:

s023
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"
coline
First solo

Postby coline » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 am

" So I would watch the water temp when doing a steep spiral dive or when you trying to lose altitude quickly...otherwise..alles is lekker :mrgreen "

In a spiral dive you should watch the ground, not the water temp. :)
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:34 am

Madman wrote:...the only big difference I noticed is that when you put the silver top in a dive, it drops the water temp very quickly, so you have to keep her at an idle to maintain water temp...with the blue top, you do not see a drastic water temp change when thrown into a dive ##
So I would watch the water temp when doing a steep spiral dive or when you trying to lose altitude quickly...otherwise..alles is lekker :mrgreen:

s023
And that's exactly why they changed the cooling system on the Bluetop.
Performance wise there is no difference. Its the same specs on both
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Madman
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Madman » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 am

coline wrote:" So I would watch the water temp when doing a steep spiral dive or when you trying to lose altitude quickly...otherwise..alles is lekker :mrgreen "

In a spiral dive you should watch the ground, not the water temp. :)
Yeah :lol: ##
ZU-BVV "The Black and Yellow Beast"
"There's a party in the sky"