M4 Starter Motor

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
RSS
Signed up at flight school

M4 Starter Motor

Postby RSS » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:10 am

HI

I have a challenger 2 long wing with a Rotax 503. My starter motor is presenting a problem. It appears that it is a M4 design, but I guess that it is a copy of the one supplied by UK based company, due to it looking a bit different. The motor fitted is a 12VDC rated at 0,8kw. To me it appears that the 0,8kw motor does not have sufficient torque to turn the motor. I have searched the web to try and identify if the 0,8kw motor in fact is strong enough to turn the 503. I have identified that the starter is off a motorcycle. Mine appears to be one that fitted a Honda CBX 1000. I have replaced the battery, cleaned all the terminals to eliminate the bad connection problem. I must mention that the battery is a 12VDC 17AH deep cycle. I have reservations on the deep cycle battery as I have been led to believe that it is not designed for cranking. I would appreciate any comments, also if anyone whom may know what the kw rating was on the original M4 as supplied by the UK. Likewise if any one knows what the kw rating on a genuine Rotax starter is.
Thank You.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: M4 Starter Motor

Postby falconp1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Can you post a pic of the starter. Deap cycle is totally unsuitable. Not designed for cranking.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:47 pm

The starter that comes as standard with the Chalenger 11 is called a GDL starter. It is no longer available but there is a replacement that you can import though Infinity Aircraft. Speak to Hennie. He is familiar with the starter. His contact details are 072 383 0453.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
RSS
Signed up at flight school

Postby RSS » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:16 am

Thanks Falconp1,
I have finally come right with the starter. The ,8kw is sufficient to swing the motor, I replaced the starter solenoid and also replaced the battery with a 20AH, lead acid.
All working ok. Seems the battery was the problem all the time.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Glad to hear that RSS. Please post a pic of the starter. Interested to see what make it is for future reference.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11