Mikuni fuel pump

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
TerenceE
Signed up at flight school

Mikuni fuel pump

Postby TerenceE » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi guys

I have a Mikuni fuel pump fitted for a 503 with twin carbs. I see the pump is mounted with rubber mountings and all, but it is sitting vertically. From what I gather, it is supposed to sit horisontally with the oil bleed hole facing downward. I also notice quite a bit of bleeding taking place, enough to create a thin layer of fuel/oil on the pipe and down towards the DCDI system. I cleaned the engine thoroughly and this bleeding (that I suspect is too much) is visible after about 1-2 hours of flying. Any advice on how much bleeding is normal and how crucial the horisontal mounting of the pump is? Could it be the wrong orientation of the pump that causes the "excessive" bleeding? (**)

Cheers
ZU-ARS
klein
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Re: Mikuni fuel pump

Postby klein » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:19 am

Wa is die slim manne ?? Ek wil ook weet !!

My fuel pump is the same (vertical mount), As far as I know, this came out the factory, like that ??
(^^)
I have slipped the surely bonds of earth, and danced the sky’s on laughter-silvered wings ------- Keith Ferris
Le Pou
First solo

Postby Le Pou » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:10 pm

Hi,
Go to Search and type in "Rotax 2 stroke pulse pump". There is a string on this question.
TerenceE
Signed up at flight school

Postby TerenceE » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:13 am

I decided to remount the pump.

Made a template bracket from 0.45mm corrugated roof sheeting off-cut (easy to bend into correct shape) and then copied that one with 2.5mm galvanized flat bar used for shelving. Also cleaned and serviced the pump, replacing all gaskets and diaphragms with a new kit. Let's see what happens now.
Attachments
Old position.JPG
Old position.JPG (27.15 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
New position.JPG
New position.JPG (32.13 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
ZU-ARS