Airmagic headset problem (Sorted - Sort of)

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Airmagic headset problem (Sorted - Sort of)

Postby kloot piloot » Mon May 25, 2015 8:11 am

My Airmagic/chatterbox setup is 3½ years old and been working without any problems.

I recently replaced the 4 x AAA batteries for the first time but since then the new batteries are dead within 1 - 2 weeks. What can it be?

As a test, I put new batteries in yesterday. Yesterday they tested average 1.64 volt. This morning they were allready down to 1.57 V. So even with the headset unplugged, something drains the batteries.

:?: :?: :?:
Last edited by kloot piloot on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
witwillem
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Airmagic headset problem

Postby witwillem » Mon May 25, 2015 7:43 pm

Dis nou net waar die honne oppi ketting k&k myne doennie selfde , die manne by Rhino Park hettie selfde probleem - een vannie goete maak dat een batterie se positief en negetief omruil en dan word die hele spul pap , die paulzulu veny is ookie meer beskikbaar hy het ene gefieks met n nuwe modder bord of so iets en erken dis n probleem , hulle gooi al daai goeter uit , en koop amerika se goeters nou die plaks werkie ook ni hoop dit help (**) witwillem , terug oppi kreepy se pyp
Jon Hewitt
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Jon Hewitt » Tue May 26, 2015 6:21 am

i had the same problem with mine , batteries lasted only one week , got hold of paul , he replaced the pc board , problem solved , working like a charm
KlapperKnop
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby KlapperKnop » Tue May 26, 2015 8:22 am

kloot piloot wrote:My Airmagic/chatterbox setup is 3½ years old and been working without any problems.

I recently replaced the 4 x AAA batteries for the first time but since then the new batteries are dead within 1 - 2 weeks. What can it be?

As a test, I put new batteries in yesterday. Yesterday they tested average 1.64 volt. This morning they were allready down to 1.57 V. So even with the headset unplugged, something drains the batteries.

:?: :?: :?:
Roel, what you could do is to have an on/off switch (miniature one) on the side where the batteries are. Put it inline with the battery circuit and switch off when not in use. Although you unplug the headset, it appears that headset circuitry still consumes DC power.
ZU-DJE
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Tue May 26, 2015 5:39 pm

KlapperKnop, also thought about that. Good idea.

I am first going to try a tip received from someone else, spray the plugs with Q20 to see if dust and dirt might not be responsible for static discharge.
Roel Jansen
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Airmagic headset problem (Sorted - sort of)

Postby kloot piloot » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:04 am

Q20 didn't do it.

Resorted to installing a small click-clack switch on top of the ear cup. So one more switch to think about before and after flight.

The techie who installed the switch thinks it might be a capacitor that is "leaking". Whatever, I have comms again.

Wouldn't want to arrive tomorrow at the Kroon Brekkie without comms, would we ... not with 80 aerries expected 8)
Roel Jansen