Italian MW Fly Engines in aircraft???

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
janpot
Thinking of flying

Re: Italian MW Fly Engines in aircraft???

Postby janpot » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi guys,- This engine could have taken over much of the NTCA market if the engine testing was done PROPERLY prior to pushing it into the aviation market, and by not using the new customers as "Engine testers" for MW Fly. Customer service from Italy is ZERO less 50% (It should not be difficult to understand this description) The manufacturer bluntly refuse to reply on correspondence, not answering or advise customers on questions asked etc etc. Once the engine is sold, you are left for the wolfes and good luck for you if you do not pick up any problems.
It takes weeks to get assistance locally and therefore I am working/corresponding with the guys in Canada for assistance.
A 4 year period has lapsed to date and not a single Sling/aircraft flying locally due to the issues mentioned above.
I am a owner of such engine and can talk with concrete facts. There are however several new verbal engine modification recommendations from MW Fly on the Gearbox and Crankshaft thrust bushes to be done, but not published as an Bulletin, I presume for the mere fact that MW do not wish to expose themselfes although the real engine failure facts are on the wall.

The Helicopter with the MW engine fitted as mentioned above, also had problems and certain modifications/changes had to be done to the engine as well. Certain people only talk about the good things and NEVER talk about the failures of the MW engines.
Quite frankly, I lost total confidence in this MW engine type with it's high frequency of failures and poor customer service from the Manufacturer, MW Fly. I am also sick and tired for the customers to be blamed for such engine failures. The Manufacturer bluntly refuse to take any reponsibility and accountability on their Technical design and Mechanical engine failures.

With the latest "Very Near Miss accident" , caused by severe mechanical engine failure, we nearly lost an aviation colleague at Rustenburg where one of these engines was fitted to a Sling aircraft. The aircraft was badly damaged during this failure. NO comments, assistance or any questions were asked from the Manufacturer and all the damages and costs was bourne by the owner. (This tells you a great and true story re the Manufacturer) This however was the 4th emergency landing he had since the engine was installed.
This could have been a great engine, and I must admit it's GREAT power output, but so unreliable and unpredictable for aviation purposes.
ZenCH750
Heard about flying

Postby ZenCH750 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:50 am

I have been working on the UL power engines now since 2011 and have been to Belgium on training as well as presented forums at Oshkosh on the Ul Engines. I LOVE them. Simple, direct drive, air cooled, and ECU is bullet proof. Had a UL Power 350i engine sold into Zambia installed in 2 weeks by the owner builder and flying. His first ever kit and engine ! Cudo's to Zenith CH750 and UL Power...
There are now 14 UL Power engines in South Africa ranging from the 97hp 260i engine to the 520 series 180 hp engine.
Installed and flying with no problems currently
Bantum
Applo Fox
Grob TMG
Zenith CH750 x
zenith CH650
Bushbaby

being done
BD4
Gyro

Highest time engine at 450hrs plus. First engine reached TBO on Calender ALREADY AS WELL. TBO extended 10 years now and then on Condition for Pvt Use aircraft. TBO costs start at minimum Euro 2500 to Max Euro 8600 for a zero timed engine! These are the 4 cylinders. 6 Cylinder engines to be announced shortly.

All the engines running were serviced by normal AP's reading the manuals, parts and consumables were sourced locally as well, as per UL spec.

Have heard the Prop rumour on the MW engines and its not correct. The props are not causing failures! Rotax iS also having gearbox failures with various props installed. Same as MW. No Prop issue.

Electrical issues.
Check out the installation manual and see how complex it is to do the electrics on the UL engine installations... http://www.ulpower.com/sites/default/fi ... manual.pdf

Its a straight forward engine, that's proving itself all over world. More than 1000 flying now. OEM are looking at installing them as well and most kitplane manufacturers are now doing UL power FWF installations. And the max prop size is also proving to be nonsense. So its doing well in both STOL application and fast aircraft applications... Prop manufacturers are doing dedicated UL props as well now ( Whirlwind, sensenich, Catto, GT, DUC, Airmaster etc)

Check out the UL Power engines gents...
www.ulpower.com
www.ulpower.co.za
www.ulpower.net
janpot
Thinking of flying

Postby janpot » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:19 pm

Hi gents,
I must admit, Flying squirrel subsequently knows a lot re the MW engine, but only the good side of it. The expressions and grammar seems to be very familier to me, or you are sitting on my back stoep.

Another MAJOR backfash occurred on the MW Fly range of engines. Gearboxes and cranks must ALL be changed as per their latest notam issued, and I think this confirms all my previous comments on these engines. These substandard designs was pointed out to them but MW never accepted responsibility/accountabilty that the engine had serious problems and therfore blamed Whirlwind propellers and the owners.

Now the real COLOURS of poor design are seeping through of the MW engine, but MW Management will never admit their design flaws. Amasingly, MW has NO records of serial numbers of the engines that were sold to customers of engines that should be recalled for the Major items to be replaced/repaired. ( This tells you a beautiful Rooikappie story, doesn't it??)

The best of all is that the replacement parts are not available yet for re-fitment but the agent/MW Fly takes no responsibility for the time lost for waiting to get the items replaced, with NO time limit coupled for when it will be done etc etc. Now I am asking myself; - For 4 years, going for 5 years now, none of these engines sold in S.A. was able to get airbourne without major failures or defects, and now this again?????????? This tendancy will never stop and therefore, stay away from MW engines. You can Pm me or Hudson any time for detailed TRUE information on this product.