Flying Flea - Help with prop sought

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Le Pou
First solo

Flying Flea - Help with prop sought

Postby Le Pou » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Construction of my Flying Flea is now complete and I ran the engine today for the first time. See photo. The engine is a Rotax 503 UL DCDI fitted with a 3,06 :1 belt drive reduction. Naively I thought I would be able to use a P Prop (70x45) designed for use with a 3.47 :1 reduction drive but the highest RPM I could get was only 4200! I believe that the correct P Prop size for my reduction drive is 70x38.
The belt reduction drive is the same as that used on the older Quicksilver and on the Minimax, I believe. The six prop bolts lie on a circle of 75mm which is smaller than the usual Rotax gearbox drive. Has anybody perhaps got a 70x38 right hand prop that I could borrow for a trial, or buy?
Thanks,
Roy
Attachments
IMG_0375 a.jpg
nicow
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Flying Flea - Help with prop sought

Postby nicow » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:16 am

Le Pou wrote:Construction of my Flying Flea is now complete and I ran the engine today for the first time. See photo. The engine is a Rotax 503 UL DCDI fitted with a 3,06 :1 belt drive reduction. Naively I thought I would be able to use a P Prop (70x45) designed for use with a 3.47 :1 reduction drive but the highest RPM I could get was only 4200! I believe that the correct P Prop size for my reduction drive is 70x38.
The belt reduction drive is the same as that used on the older Quicksilver and on the Minimax, I believe. The six prop bolts lie on a circle of 75mm which is smaller than the usual Rotax gearbox drive. Has anybody perhaps got a 70x38 right hand prop that I could borrow for a trial, or buy?
Thanks,
Roy
Wow-that looks very nice!!! (^^)
Nico
Limpopo Flight School
vliegskool@hotmail.com
ZU-AWA
ZU-DMM
ZU-AJO
ZU-AWF
ZU-BAI
ZS-WOR
ZU-TCT
ZU-DOD
ZU-CIE
ZU-BIW
Martinvt
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby Martinvt » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:47 am

That looks like fun.... (^^) (^^)

What is the cost of building it round about?
Martin van Tonder
Limpopo Flight School

Aerotrike Safari
ZU-CIE
Le Pou
First solo

Postby Le Pou » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi
Thanks for the nice comments!
Costs? It has been 10 years in the making (and I thought I would do it in 2 years!),I tell my wife it costs less than it does to play golf but she says I don't play golf - but then women don't understand logic.
I started off listing the costs but soon dropped the idea - I am no accountant and also I found it too depressing so I just did as they tell you in the AA "One day at a time". So frankly I don't know. Perhaps R60 grand?

Roy
Le Pou
First solo

Postby Le Pou » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Hi
I saw Pieter de Necker today. He is going to do some surgery on my prop which should solve the problem. We are very very fortunate to have a guru like Pieter in our community. vhpy
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Jean Crous » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:31 pm

That is the truth, I tell you :!: :!:
Jean.
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous