My 503 dont start after cleaning airfilter

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
andrew416
Pre flight checks done

My 503 dont start after cleaning airfilter

Postby andrew416 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Guys, Any help will be appreciated. Cant get my 503 to start. I thought I did everything right by cleaning the air filter with dishwashing soap water and spraying K&N filter oil on but apparently we should not spray the oil on the 503 air filter. I took the air filter off and cleaned it again with soap water put it back on but still no luck. Do you think there is another problem or what should I do. I need to get in the air tomorrow afternoon, please help! The carb bowls are full and they are not flooding so it cant be the fuel pump. It has brand new plugs and fuel filter and all the fuel pipes are fine.
Nacho
Survived second engine out

Re: My 503 dont start after cleaning airfilter

Postby Nacho » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:33 pm

You need 3 things to start any internal combustion engine. Fuel, air and a spark. If you have fuel in your carbs (I see you checked that) and you have spark on your plugs, something must happen. Do you have spark?

Before you get in the air, I suggest you solve the problem and do a few ground run 1st to make sure all is good. I think start at your electrical system, sounds like you checked the fuel part of it. Get a AP to assist if you get stuck.

Good luck and let us know what the problem was when you figured it out.
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:50 pm

Hi Andrew.

Assuming there is fuel and spark as Nacho has suggested I suspect your dirty air cleaner was acting a bit like a choke before you cleaned it .
The carb bowl gaskets need to be absolutely airtight otherwise the choke will not work.

Regards
Freddie

ps. K and N recommend you spray their oil directly onto the filter. Or you can leave it dry as the 503 will oil itself.
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
andrew416
Pre flight checks done

Postby andrew416 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Nacho and Freddie! It is very strange because all was fine till I took the air filter off. I did take my instrument pod off as well to do some fibre glass repair on it so maybe a loose wire somewhere can be the problem. When I turn the ignition on it has the same affect as when you turn the ignition with the mags off. "Hy draai maar wil nie vat nie''.You asked if I have Spark. How do I check for that. Does anybody know a AP near Ellisras.
klein
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby klein » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:17 am

Hi Andrew, Sent you PM
I have slipped the surely bonds of earth, and danced the sky’s on laughter-silvered wings ------- Keith Ferris
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Postby Air Hog » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:15 am

Check your earth wire. If disconnected, mags will not be on.
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
andrew416
Pre flight checks done

Postby andrew416 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:12 am

I just got back from the hanger, first I checked that I had spark and went through everything else and all looked good, I started it like I always do with full choke on and again it didn't start. I put the choke off and hand pull it and whalah! it started. I switched it off and then turn the key and it started easy. I then let the engine cool off and tried again but yet again it doesn't start. Same thing,when I take the choke off and hand pull it she starts. Why is it that with the choke on it doesn't start. The engine always started very easy with the choke on? I only use the choke when the engine is cold.

I did not check the earth wire! Thanks Air Hog! will check that too. Miskien is die battery besig om die gees te gee?
Nacho

Postby Nacho » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:09 pm

Klink vir my na vuil carbs, veral as sy net wil hardloop as jy choke trek. Jy al carb cleaner gespuit, mag nodig wees om jou carbs heeltemal uitmekaar te haal en ordenelik skoon te maak. Jy sal sien as jy die main jets uithaal hulle het sulke klein gaatjies in. Maak hulle skoon met compressed air en n stukkie sterk staal, soos n kabel se strand.
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)
andrew416
Pre flight checks done

Postby andrew416 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:31 am

Dit was toe net die battery wat besig is om te groet. Het ander battery gekoppel en daar start sy toe maklik met choke aan. Lyk my die engine het net te stadig gedraai asgv die battery om n spark te maak.Dankie vir die hulp.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:34 am

Hi Andrew.

Glad you came right.

The 503 has an independent system that creates the spark. Totally independent from the battery. Under the right conditions you can start a 503 just by pulling the prop slowly through half a revolutionary by hand. The magneto is very efficient. That is why you make sure that your mag switches are off before you do your preflight

My point being that there seems to be some other underlying problem. But then again two strokes are like women. Just when you think you understand them they prove you very wrong. puff
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:35 pm

falconp1 wrote:Hi Andrew.

Glad you came right.

The 503 has an independent system that creates the spark. Totally independent from the battery. Under the right conditions you can start a 503 just by pulling the prop slowly through half a revolutionary by hand. The magneto is very efficient. That is why you make sure that your mag switches are off before you do your preflight

My point being that there seems to be some other underlying problem. But then again two strokes are like women. Just when you think you understand them they prove you very wrong. puff
How can you say that about woman Freddie? I never ever think I understand them.
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:17 pm

That's why you are so happy Vernon. I have a lot to learn. :lol:
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
lucygp
Heard about flying

Postby lucygp » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:56 am

Totally independent from the battery.

Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Yip
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
nickjaxe
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby nickjaxe » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Before you re-oiled the filter did you let it dry overnight after washing it.

To rule out an air filter prob...have you tried to start it with out the a/f jst as a test in a non dusty environment of course.
What a nice feeling it is being part of such a nice group of people, {Microlighters}