Sporadic CL NG on Icom A22E

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Sporadic CL NG on Icom A22E

Postby mulderpm » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:41 pm

I recently experienced the problem where my trusty 20 year old IC-A22E started sporadically displaying CL NG and goes dead. The only way to get it cleared is to turn it off and back on again. After some internet searching and phoning around (Multisource and Michael Beukman) I found the following;

Basically, what happens is that the radio goes into erroneous CLONE mode, with the result that the cloning process fails. CL = Clone, and NG = Not Good.

Cloning is a process where the user programmed frequencies and names of one radio can be transferred to another radio of the same model i.e. IC-A22E to IC-A22E. This is done by interconnecting the stereo external speaker sockets of the two radios together. Another way is to download the frequencies and names via special software on a PC using an interface connected to the ex-speaker of the radio and the PC. The normal connection from the ex-speaker to the aircraft intercom system is via a mono plug. The mono plug interconnects the clone lead and one speaker lead. If this bridge is broken, due to dirt or a loose connection, the radio is ready to go into clone mode. Cloning obviously fails and this locks the radio in the CL NG error state.

The problem is thus caused by a bad connection on the ex-speaker jack of the radio and can be cured by cleaning the jack and plug with “Servisol”. If this fails, the radio will have to be opened and the ex-speaker jack checked for dry joints and for wear and tear. If all else fails, and you have no intention to ever clone two radios, the clone lead and ex-speaker leads can be soldered together inside the radio.

Opening the radio and cleaning the ex-speaker jack solved my problem, for now.

Hope this helps someone. (^^)
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Sporadic CL NG on Icom A22E

Postby mulderpm » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:23 pm

Still intermittently did this. New PTT, let's see?
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Sporadic CL NG on Icom A22E

Postby mulderpm » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Solved by cleaning and new PTT.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best