What should I start to do?

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

What should I start to do?

Postby Henni » Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:07 am

Hi all,

My KR2 project was a stock standard stretched as yet none registered KR2S to which I've done the following:

1. Replaced the heavy VW engine with a much lighter Rotax 532 engine.
2. Moved the seats forward to compensate for the lighter engine.
3. All of the rest are merely cosmetic changes.

I received no serial no. or plans when I purchased the project originally before I started to mod it. My mods did not effect the structural components of the original design at all.

My question is this: I've just registered my Mizer microlight and now I want to start getting the required paperwork in order for this aircraft to be registered too. What do I need to do? Should & could I still register it as a KR2? Do I need to purchase a set of the original plans in order to get a serial number? Should an AP inspect it at this stage before I continue and if so could you point me to one in the Pretoria area?

I've attached the only paper work I received with the original aircraft.

Please, any & all advice would be highly appreciated. I want to get this project finished asap.

Regards,

Henni
Attachments
WP_20131024_001.jpg
WP_20131024_002.jpg
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
Jean Crous
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: What should I start to do?

Postby Jean Crous » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:11 am

Henni, I can almost for certain say : You will have to have a set of original plans of a KR2 S in order to get a build no, if you want to go the easy route and register it as a KR2 S. As far as my knowledge goes, you can use any engine you like. Have a proper mass-and-balance done by an AP with a scale that has a callibration certificate .
Rotax 2strokes are accepted aviation engines in RSA. There was a Carl Babst Ravin flying with a Rotax 582 for instance. Should you not purchase a set of plans then you cannot call/register it as a KR, it will then have to be a "once off" of your own making, and that will entail you doing the wing loading test , and you will have to get a structural analysis of the rest of the structure, and the quality of the materials will have to be accounted for.
Therefore the short and easy route will be ......buy a set of plans.
regards
Jean
The new front seat solo Cubby MK2 powered by Rotax 912 S 100hp
Cubby Aircraft Factory
Suppliers of Nitrate, Butyrate, adhesive, Fabric
Email: cubbyaircraftfactory@gmail.com
Jean Crous
SACAA Approved Person 402
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:29 am

Hi Jean,

Thank you for the advice my friend. If you reckon I can still register it as a KR2, then I'll start working on this with immediate effect.

All the best,

Henni
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:55 am

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for all the phone calls & advice received as a result. It seems like I'm finally connected with the right people who can help me to see my project all the way through.

I'm so glad I made this plea for help! You are a swell bunch of folks indeed & I'm proud to be a member of the grass root flying community once again!

Kind regards,

Henni
HENNING JOHAN
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby HENNING JOHAN » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:50 pm

All the kr owners I know and will help you Henni.Willie van der Walt,Carlton and Craigh.Make contact with this guys,they are long in this fly machines!Great stuff and hope you are soon in the air with your Kr.
FLY SAFE!!FLYBOY OBD.Aerotrike Scout 503 ZU-CAI.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:23 pm

There is still a catch. Part 24 says that if you deviate in any way from the manufacturers plans or in the case of a kit, you modify something, you will firstly need the manufacturers permission and then have to go through the certification process yourself or get the mod approval. Read the rules guys, they are quite clear.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:18 am

"What should I start to do?"

Listen to good advice. ## ## ## ## ## In die vorm wat ingevul word vir "Aplication for Proving Flight", word daar gevra of die vliegtuig volgens die planne gebou is. Enige modifikasies gaan jou lewe moeilik maak....... EN jou AP s`n ook. Ons as AP`s wil graag help, maar hou nie daarvan om op die vorms te lieg nie, want dit kan ONS lewens interessant maak!! :shock: :shock:
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:19 am

Hi almal,

Dis reg so. Ek sal dit dan as my eie ontwerp registreer en dan alles doen wat nodig is om dit lugvaardig te kry. Ek self vertel glad nie leuens nie en sal ook NOOIT van 'n ander verwag om leuens namens my te vertel nie. Miskien hou hierdie roete nog vir my boonop voordele in vir die toekoms...

Dis hoekom ek hierdie thread begin het. So kom ons begin weer voor. Met die bg. in gedagte, wat staan my nou te doen? So ek het nie meer 'n serial of bou nommer nodig nie. Wie moet ek nou kontak en wat moet ek invul? Ek wil hierdie proses aan die gang kry - hoe begin ek?

Ek het al die kalkulasies vir die "elevator" beheer vermoe en "pitch stability". Ek kan self die hoof vlerk belading doen en demonstreer. Wat anders moet ek doen of bereken? Het enig iemand vir my 'n voorbeeld van wat ek moet indien sodat ek kan begin om my eie voor te berei? Indien nie, waar kan ek na so 'n voorbeeld kyk?

Van julle was reeds daar. Ek moet nou soontoe gaan en ek benodig julle raad en ondervinding asb. indien julle wil help bygese. Nee, ek verwag nie enige kalkulasies verniet nie, maar miskien kan 'n behoorlike voorbeeld my ten minste aan die gang kry.

Sover ek verstaan is dit die hele idee van die "experimental" kategorie, want sonie nie sou die meeste goed wat baie op hierdie forum vlieg nooit die lig gesien het het nie.

Dankie by voorbaat vir al die raad en advies,

Henni
German
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby German » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:22 am

Soos by Yskor, 2 ton papier nodig om een ton staal te vervaardig!!
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 am

Mag wees,

Maar laat ek dan maar nou begin om die papier werk proses aan die gang te kry. Hul se 'n begin is half gewin.

Groete,

Henni
HENNING JOHAN
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby HENNING JOHAN » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:10 pm

Hallo Henni!Begin ook by die EAA se hoofkantoor.Hulle sal jou baie help.
FLY SAFE!!FLYBOY OBD.Aerotrike Scout 503 ZU-CAI.
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:30 am

Hi Henning,

Dankie, ek sal. Verbasend hoe vining mens vertel word wat nie gedoen kan en mag word nie, en dan die stilswye daarna wanneer jy vir raad vra oor hoe dit dan nou eintlik gedoen moet word...

Ek waardeer jou terugvoer,

Henni
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Hi Hennie, ons is nie almal heeldag op die rekenaar nie en ons tyd kos geld. Ons manne wat weet wat om te doen gee ons tyd terug soos ons kan...wees maar geduldig.
Wat jy nodig gaan he is as volg
- 'n meganiese of lugvaart ingenieur.
- Jy moet aansoek doen vir die build number. Daarvoor moet jy Part 24 en AIC 60.15 gaan lees.
- Jy moet 'n lugvaard standaard kies waaraan die vliegtuig gaan voldoen, iets soos ASTM F2245-10 of CS-VLA of CS-23 of FAR 23.
- Jy gaan elke een van die paragrawe moet aanspreek.
- Waneer jy klaar die vliegtuig gebou het gaan jy die primere struktuur (nie net die vlerke soos meeste mense dink nie) moet load test tot limit load, nie ultimate load nie. Voor jy die toetse kan doen moet jy vir CAA die tekinge vir die primere struktuur verskaf en ook 'n toetsplan voorle vir goedkeuring.
- Wanneer die toetse klaar is moet jy 'n verslag by CAA indien met 'n opsomming van die toetse en bevindinge. Dit word dan goedgekeur en afgeteken.
- Nou kan jy die AP weer inroep en die papierwerk doen om vir die Proving Flights aansoek te doen.-
- First of type. Jy gaan 'n vliegtoets program moet indien vir goedkeuring
- First of type. Class 1 test pilot of met spesiale toestemming 'n Class 2 ( Ons het 'n testflight centre wat ons nou gaan begin waar ons die vliegtoetse kan doen en die berekeninge)
- Wanneer die 40 ure afgehandel is en almal is gelukkig en jy leef nog dan doen jy aansoek vir die ATF

As jy later jou first of type wil verkoop aan jou maats dan moet jy 'n production certification doen. BAIE BAIE BAIE BAIE geld en geduld. Ek trek al op 6 figures met die Safari en die einde is nou eers in sig.

Sterkte.
Last edited by KFA on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:02 am

Hi KFA,

Dankie dat jy geantwoord het en baie dankie vir die detail.

Groete,

Henni