Fly Microlight in the North West Province??

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
mag
Heard about flying

Fly Microlight in the North West Province??

Postby mag » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:34 am

Good day,

Im new to this forum and don't own a Microlight yet... I use to do nature conservation work in the Kruger Park and made use of a Aquila Microlight (trike) for game counting and observation. I remember the pilot always said that we can't fly in the wind so we had to fly very early in the morning. We had a few flights were the wind did pick up and was pretty unpleasant!

Now my question is, i now farm in the north west province and would like to get my own microlight but the wind is always pumping here!! i remember the pilot also said that a bantam is better for windy places but i prefer a trike! Will it be possible to actually fly in this area (Potchefstroom) or should i write it on my "pens"

Thanks
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Fly Microlight in the North West Province??

Postby kloot piloot » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 am

Hi mag,
Welcome to Microlighters !
Northwest (Potch) is rather windy but this should definitely not deter you to fly a trike there. There are lots of windows during the year and during the day when you can fly a trike. Early mornings and late afternoons will be perfect and as your experience grows you can fly later and longer.

I flew a trike from Klerksdorp to Brits, took off 11h30 in a very strong northwester in the middle of summer and it was do-able. Another time we did Brits-Leeudoringstad-Brits, again strong winds there and beautifull calm conditions back, so no problems. Hope this helps.

P.S. Buying a trike now is also a good time, seeing at what rediculously low prices trikes are being sold for.

Cheers
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
mag
Heard about flying

Re: Fly Microlight in the North West Province??

Postby mag » Thu May 15, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks Roel,

Yes i believe its do-able. You don't know of a school in our area to do my licence?