Rotax 912 Installation requirements and costs

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Rotax 912 Installation requirements and costs

Postby justin.schoeman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:23 pm

I am busy evaluating alternative engine options, and I was wondering if anybody can give me some tips and advice on 912 installations.

Aside from the bare engine, what are the other requirements, and what do thy cost. Either directly from Aviation Engines, or reputable after market parts, if available.

What I can think of, off the top of my head:
1) oil tank
2) oil cooler, or oil-water heat exchanger
3) water radiators
4) water tank
5) plumbing
6) air box
7) carrier frame
8) exhaust

Anything else?

Thanks!
Justin
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Rotax 912 Installation requirements and costs

Postby JvTonder » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:40 pm

justin.schoeman wrote:I am busy evaluating alternative engine options, and I was wondering if anybody can give me some tips and advice on 912 installations.

Aside from the bare engine, what are the other requirements, and what do thy cost. Either directly from Aviation Engines, or reputable after market parts, if available.

1) oil tank - Yes
2) oil cooler, or oil-water heat exchanger - Oil cooler/radiator
3) water radiators - Water radiator, one should be enough
4) water tank - Small overflow bottle, like school cold drink bottle
5) plumbing
6) air box - Never had one just filters on both carbs but can if necessary
7) carrier frame
8) exhaust

Anything else?

Thanks!
Justin
That should be all, ask Mark to look at AXT's installation or any other plane at Rhino with 912 in.
Flying feeds the soul!
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Thanks. Do you know if there are local aftermarket suppliers, or just Rotax in SA? Looking at the Rotax prices on the web, it seems basic 912 life support equipment could add up to ~R50k?
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:09 pm

justin.schoeman wrote:Thanks. Do you know if there are local aftermarket suppliers, or just Rotax in SA? Looking at the Rotax prices on the web, it seems basic 912 life support equipment could add up to ~R50k?
Jip, and that is exactly why I will NEVER EVER buy a Rattax motor new for a project. It is cheaper to buy a plane with the motor installed and then sell the fuselage etc, maybe try that?

Unfortunately the only other place I ever looked was in the states, think airwolf or something to that effect if memory serves, talk to Alex at Rhino from the trikes he brings in spares.
Flying feeds the soul!
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi Justin sorry just relised I made a mistake on water bottle, you will need a "spider" bottle, radiator and the overflow cold drink bottle. Not sure if the spider bottle comes with standard.
Flying feeds the soul!
weedy
I hate bird strikes
I hate bird strikes

Postby weedy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:23 pm

A suitable voltage regulator, starter solinoid and a nice fat cap 22,000 uf
No idea on price.
Claude
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:28 pm

For those interested, we manufacture 912/914 engine rings at approx 50% of what Rotax charges.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:57 am

justin.schoeman wrote:I am busy evaluating alternative engine options, and I was wondering if anybody can give me some tips and advice on 912 installations.

1) oil tank - Yes proper rotax one only
2) oil cooler, or oil-water heat exchanger - small one, 3-5 fins. I used 5 and it overcools - Oil Thermostat otherwise you wait forever to warm up before take off
3) water radiators - Small radiator, tiny, check the manuals they are about 140mm X 500mm X70. I used Silverton to make it for me at 10% of the Rotax cost. Needs replacing every 300-500 hours though :shock: Tried Aluminium but it retains too much heat and resulted in overheating issues. Perhaps best to use the proper one
4) water tank - overflow bottle simple school type
5) plumbing lots and lots, water uses 25mm inner diameter tubing and the oil uses about 22mm outer diameter Hiflo for the oil tubing,
6) air box - no just two conical airfilters
7) carrier frame - yes
8) exhaust - don't waste your time on an aftermarket exhaust, they don't last. Use the proper Rotax one. Make sure you install the mounts for the EGT probes into each branch. Uses a very fine thread, found it at Bolt and nut in Paarden island. Welded it onto the exhaust myself and drilled a hole through the stainless.

Anything else?

Thanks!
Justin
Greg Perkins
Baitbird
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Baitbird » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:51 pm

JvTonder wrote:

1) oil tank - Yes
2) oil cooler, or oil-water heat exchanger - Oil cooler/radiator
3) water radiators - Water radiator, one should be enough
4) water tank - Small overflow bottle, like school cold drink bottle
5) plumbing
6) air box - Never had one just filters on both carbs but can if necessary
7) carrier frame
8) exhaust

Anything else?

Thanks!
Justin
That should be all, ask Mark to look at AXT's installation or any other plane at Rhino with 912 in.
I have never seen a ratex with an oil-water exchanger - probable a weight issue, as you now also have to cart that water around as well. Although I might be wrong.

Depending on your installation type it might be more feasable to put in 2 smaller oil coolers and 2 smaller water radiators. Just makes instalation under a cowl easier (sometimes)
I got my radiators from the local silverton and the oil cooler from local vehicle spare shop. Nothing special about them. Rotax does not manufacture such items and thus "their" items are a quality issue.

Airbox only justified cost wise ( well at least to me) when adding a turbo as well. -I've done that, but that opens up a whole new kettle of fish ito, cooling etc. ( discusion for another day - but suffice to say better than the standard 914)

Good luck with the project.
Keep us updated once you've finalised your decisions( either way). Just keep in mind if you shop around you can get many of the "add-ons" in a good used state from various hangar sales etc . I visit the avcom site regularly and they do pop up occationaly.
Some key things like the carrier frame would be better to buy new if possible or else be made forr your plane by the relevant certified people. ( loosing an engine in flight might affect your weight & balance dramaticaly) :shock: vhpy

BB
Fake people worry about their image.... Real people just don't give a damn!!!
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the responses. It seems the major Rotax-only bits are the water 'spider' and oil tank.

I have seen an oil-water heat exchanger on a gyro. Makes for a neat installation. The exchanger bolts directly to the engine, with some short hoses for plumbing, and then it is just one radiator to sort out. The exchanger also has a thermostat, so both water and oil temps come up quickly from cold.

Makes sense, as this is the way just about every car engine works (except that the oil-water heat exchanger is usually buried in the crankcase somewhere.