Bank and turn indicator

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Sporo
Thinking of flying

Bank and turn indicator

Postby Sporo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:12 am

I was looking for a better quality slip indicator when I came across an ad for the MGL Infinity AV 1 attitude and turn/bank indicator at - http://www.oregonlightsport.com/store/3 ... itude.html
It seems to provide an amazing range of capabilities in fact everything a VFR pilot would need to maintain a safe attitude and angle of bank in the event that you loose your horizon and to calibrate your turns.
Seems the next best thing to an expensive artificial horizon.
Am I missing something here?
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Bank and turn indicator

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:14 am

1) that is just the display - you need the AHRS as well, so the total price is much higher.

2) you are just kidding yourself, if you think an AH will save your but if you end up in IMC.
Sporo
Thinking of flying

Postby Sporo » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:33 pm

It happened once and it was not good. Having a horizon would have lessened the feeling of panic and certainly would not have made the situation worse. But on a day to day basis being able to measure your bank in a turn or to time it seems really useful. The POH gives stall speeds at different bank angles but without a bank indicator that seems pretty useless. The need to turn, even steeply arises in VFR all the time.
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Read up on '178 seconds to live'. 178 seconds is the average time a PPL pilot can expect to live in IMC in a fully IFR equipped aircraft. Having an AH will not necessarily help.

And you should be able to eyeball your bank angle well enough to estimate your stall speed.

An AH is definitely a nice gadget to have, but more often than not, all they provide is a false sense of security.
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:40 pm

I agree whole heartedly with Justin on this one.
Stick to the VMC flight rules, and you will be fine.

What aircraft do you plan to attach to the said instrument?
Byron Kirkland
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:56 am

Just a thought here. But a weightshift should always have the indicator at the bottom. If it is not you are in a very serious situation!!
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP