Corvair engine

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Trytofly
Pre flight checks done

Corvair engine

Postby Trytofly » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:46 pm

Does anyone know, or know anything about Corvair engines for ultralights? I'm looking at buying an ultralight powered by a 100hp Corvair engine. Are there agents for them in SA?
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Corvair engine

Postby justin.schoeman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:11 pm

I don't think there are any local agents. Although by definition, you cannot have an ultralight, or microlight powered by a Corvair, as it would never make the weight limits for either of these categories. They are only used in LSA and experimental aircraft.
Trytofly
Pre flight checks done

Postby Trytofly » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:18 pm

The plane in question is a Zenair Zodiak. It is one of the recommended powerplants for this plane on the website.
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:29 pm

Trytofly wrote:The plane in question is a Zenair Zodiak. It is one of the recommended powerplants for this plane on the website.
That is LSA category, so it should be fine.

I seem to remember 'Willie' on Avcom looking into becoming a Corvair agent. Aside from that, I don't know of any others in SA.
Trytofly
Pre flight checks done

Postby Trytofly » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:35 pm

Thanks. Will look him up on Avcom. Would appreciate any other info from anyone else about these engines.
Z-MRP
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Z-MRP » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:06 am

For the money you going to spend here I would take 10 deep breaths and keep looking, Corvair engine might be a great engine to use if you in the USA, motor is a complicated conversion,in Africa I think you heading for trouble.
Zenith product is a great option but you would be far better looking for the Zenith/Rotax combination. I suggest you join the Zenith Aircraft Builders and Flyers site and advertise there you looking for a Zodiak/Rotax combo, you can also get hold of Phil at Bundu Aviation. He is the southern african agent for Zenith in Pretoria.
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:51 am

Z-MRP wrote:For the money you going to spend here I would take 10 deep breaths and keep looking, Corvair engine might be a great engine to use if you in the USA, motor is a complicated conversion,in Africa I think you heading for trouble.
Zenith product is a great option but you would be far better looking for the Zenith/Rotax combination. I suggest you join the Zenith Aircraft Builders and Flyers site and advertise there you looking for a Zodiak/Rotax combo, you can also get hold of Phil at Bundu Aviation. He is the southern african agent for Zenith in Pretoria.
Yup. Unless you have your own machine shop, the conversion will cost quite a bit. You should be able to pick up a used O-200 with 1000 odd hours left for cheaper than a converted Corvair from the US. Similar weight, similar power, and you won't be perpetually worried that the crank will break...
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:30 am

Hi,

Google for "Mark Langford KR2" There you'll find everything you need to know on these engines for aircraft use.

Here you go:

http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/

Regards,

Henni
Keep grassroot aviation alive!
falconp1
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby falconp1 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm

Nice link Hennie. (^^)
ZS-WVD CONDOR
ZU-CIW Challenger 11
freddievanrooyen@yahoo.com
Henni
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Henni » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi Freddie,

I used to be very interested in this. However, note all the crank failures. I have over 850 hours behind (no, more like underneath) two stroke engines.

Thus I've made up my mind to stay away from converted auto engines. I'll rather put my trust in the two-strokes for now.

Henni
Keep grassroot aviation alive!