BRS?

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
p3tr
Signed up at flight school

BRS?

Postby p3tr » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Hello.

something's been bugging me regarding those BRS things...
- Most of the shit one picks up happens really close to the ground
- probably only 1/3 of that is engine trouble. the rest is crosswinds / landings and flying into cables + things under power.
i used to skydive myself + know how much attention parachutes need to open correctly, so i wonder if it is feasible for a BRS to be used in a tumble without tangling with the airframe or being wound up in a little bondel wasgoed by all the quick rotations...

so what emergency are they actually for? has anyone actually used one + how effective are they at what? i imagine they can help with an engine-out over a forest, but probably one would not want to use it over water (to avoid getting stuck under a huge canopy with lots of cables + little strings)

how heavy are they? ($$)
ZU-DFM
Triker
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: BRS?

Postby Triker » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 am

Hi P3tr

Good question, i would also like to know that. And does the cable get tangled or struck by the ML's prop when deployed? From what i have seen the chute deploy outward (ie 90 degrees from the trike) so wind should blow it backwards and upwards where the cable be struck by the prop.

cheers
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sukkelaar » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Kyk Noord
p3tr
Signed up at flight school

Postby p3tr » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm

point taken...
ZU-DFM
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Like a cyclist helmet, probably more a piece of mind thing.

I don't regret installing mine although won't repack on the expiry date.

Do whats best for you and don't be put off by the 'fly it in the crash' chorus who avoid flying over jungle country.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Bundy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Heya P3tr,

In the case of a tumble...99% chance you gonna die anyway...Pull that handle mate! :wink: I would... (-)

Do these BRS's come with proper training guys? P3tr has some really valid questions....I'd also like to know. ^

Or is there just a tag that says "pull when sh!t scared!!!" :wink: (**)
willemgreyling
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby willemgreyling » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:10 pm

My old trike had a BRS system installed. I think if I had a engine out I would definitely not have used it. I know my plane had a second engine (gravity) and pulling that bar just a little I was on perfect glide slope vhpy vhpy . So all I had to do was find a landing spot. Trikes land slowly so you don't need much space. I was always scared that I pull the BRS when I was on a perfect glide and the thing half deploy. Then I am in crap (**) (**)

But if you have a whip stall like the guy in the video, you are not flying anymore, so use the BRS.

I think a BRS can give you a false sense of security. But like the video, can be a life saver. Not a easy call I say :?:
Panorama
Savannah S
Dobbs
Survived second engine out
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I have read pilot's report on two different BRS usages, both were as a result of VFR into IMC, both had a happy outcome, no injuries, although some damage to the planes.

Agree with previous posts re a false sence of security - a point not discussed in the reports was whether the pilots continued in the knowledge that if things went pear shaped, they could rely on their chutes?

There is also a utube clip of a LSA flying into the tow wire of a glider being pulled up, tow plane and glider fine, but some damage to the LSA and the pilot pulled the chute and another happy ending - so I suppose you take your chances in the hope that you will not experience similar circumstancs.
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I found the Avcom Cyrrus (sp) accident thread interesting. The boffins simply state that if you have lost control or cannot control the aircraft then pull the lever.

The issues of 'should have'and 'could have' dont compare to loss of life, medically stuffed, lose your ability to provide and someone must wipe your arse for months at a time.

As in take-off and landing where probably 99% of accidents occur, a chute is'nt gonna help much so there's no guarentee of not getting hurt though.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sukkelaar » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 am

No one has ever died by pulling the chute, but a few others have

Regards
Kyk Noord