How does the radio system work in microlights??

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Bundy
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Re: How does the radio system work in microlights??

Postby Bundy » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:12 am

How does it work?....I dunno....but when I plug that jack in..... I hear voices! :shock: (**) (**)

...freaks me out a little sometimes. (**) :lol:

Seriously though Phislet, it's nice to see a youngster like yourself actively engaging on a forum like this in order to learn. I wish I had the same opportunity when I was at school still to be able to post questions like this on the internet...it didnt exist back then...at least not in SA! :wink:

A system like the one you describe (telephone jack) can only be from one person I know....Zulu 1. It's called an Air Magic System and I'm sure this topic will get his attention and he will answer you in a far more technical way than idiots like me could. :lol: I have one fitted to DBP and many others use it too.

The radio's we generally use in the Microlight world are hand held VHF radio's. Some operate on an internal battery and others have a power supply fitted to provide power to the radio during use. Fixed wings like a Cessna etc etc have VHF radio's that are mounted into the instrument panel (IE not portable) and some of them can even monitor various frequencies at the same time. Trikes generally are only monitoring and broadcasting on 1 frequency at a time which the pilot selects when he starts up to go fly.

Because of the wind/engine noise when flying, carrying a passenger requires an intercom system between the the pilot and the passenger to allow communication. That is essentially what the Air Magic system is. You can chat to each other and both will be able to hear incomming radio messages from the ground/Air...however, only the pilot is able to broadcast radio messages and does so with the use of a PTT (Push To Talk) button (ussually on the control bar).

Anyway...those are the basics on the radio.

A little bit on frequencies... Every piece of airspace has got a designated VHF radio frequency that all pilots flying within that area are supposed to broadcast their intentions on. On any given flight you may fly through different areas of airspace and may change frequency accordingly many times. (On one recent flight I had to make 7 different frequency changes). They are ussually (but not always) marked on the aviation maps that we use to navigate. There are Airfield frequencies, Approach, ground, fuel, weather, emergency, Air Traffic Control, Chat (kakpraat), General flying, Special rules, and "bush" frequencies...all of which the PIC must take into account when doing his flight planning for any given day.
You must think of these "airspaces" as an empty box. (i wont call it a "doos" because that depends on the pilot! :lol: ) This empty box has horizontal limits (width and breadth) as well as vertical limits (eg Ground to say 10000ft).
For example I may be flying through a general flying area like FAD128....it extends from the ground to 10 000ft. A Boeing 747 passes directly over me....but he is on a different frequency as he is at 30 000 ft while I am at 7000 ft...hope that makes sense? :)

I'll let the more Technical boffins give you some more detailed info.... (^^)

Keep that dream alive lad..."one day is one day" 8)

Where do you stay? Perhaps there is a pilot close by who will be willing to take you up every now and then and keep the aviation interest high. :)
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:47 am

Nicely explained Alan.

Phislet, it may sound complicated, but as with all things in life, once it is explained by your instructor, it's really quite easy.
Byron Kirkland
klein
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby klein » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:08 am

[quote="bobthebuilder"]Nicely explained Alan.

(^^) (^^) (^^)
I have slipped the surely bonds of earth, and danced the sky’s on laughter-silvered wings ------- Keith Ferris
John.com
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer
Location: Broederstroom (Magaliesberg) - home airstrip Aeroden

Postby John.com » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:10 am

Thanks for the refresher Alan!

A picture of a typical trike radio & intercom might assist Phislet in grasping the setup . . . . courtesy of the Beautiful Seductive Temptress! :wink:
Trike Radio & Intercom.jpg
John Comley
ZU-BST (the Beautiful Seductive Temptress)
Magaliesberg, South Africa
Read my flying blog here . . . http://johncomley.blogspot.com/

"Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills"
Asterix
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Asterix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:01 pm

..And sometimes you have to talk to an ATC (Air Traffic Controller). Before you do - make sure you know that: "East is East, and West is West." :wink:
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:08 pm

Alan has answered quite fine. The VXA series radios can scan multiple frequencies and have a priority watch, they probably have more features than a panel mount radio. The main issue with trikes comms are (were) with the antennas, however we seem to have got that nailed now...

Spend a week of your holidays with Laston and he will teach you the fundamentals.

Zulu 1 (or maybe ZuluT..?)
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:17 am

I also now see how if you're on a lower altitude then you don't hear what all the commercial pilots are saying.. Also, could you switch to their frequencies just for fun?? Thanks for the help guys
Altitude has little to do with transmissions that are received. It relates more to the airspace you are in, and the frequency in use for that airspace.
You can tune in and listen to conversations between commercial jet liners and ATC (Air Traffic Control) with a hand held radio. I'm not sure of the licensing issues though.
Last edited by bobthebuilder on Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Byron Kirkland
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:45 am

Well explained Bundy. (^^)
Bundy wrote:On any given flight you may fly through different areas of airspace and may change frequency accordingly many times. (On one recent flight I had to make 7 different frequency changes).
Now I know why I never hear you on the radio. ## You are hoppin like a rabit. :?

I have all the frequencies and runways in my GPS and the most used ones on my leg.

Apparently it is not a legal requirement to have a radio on a Microlight??...I think it is one of the most fundamental safety features and would not dare fly without one, especially not in Special Rules Area's. ## Remember ANC, Aviate, Navigate & Communicate!
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:00 am

phislett wrote:I see now! When I went on the flight I noticed we could speak and now again other people would interrupt and he would start to communicate with them as we'll..
As Bundy mentioned we fly in different airspaces, each requiring a different method of radio communication. This is why radio is a major subject and it is an exam you have to write and pass. There is no reason why you could not attend a radio course now, and even write the exam. Once you have your licence, you have it for life. Once you have done that there is also no reason why you can't get hold of your own handheld radio and listen to the broadcasts on the various frequencies. This is especially lekker when there is an airshow, when you can tune to the ATC, the aerobatic planes etc and listen in. With this privilege there is also responsibility, don't mess around and broadcast something where and when you shouldn't. Being in Durban, you could also tune to the various frequencies at Durnban international and listen in to the arriving and departing traffic, but unless you have done a course, you won't understand what they are saying.

With Microlights,we generally stay away from formal airports, as as such very rarely talk to the Air Traffic Controller. We usually fly is what is known an uncontrolled airspace, i.e. there is no tower to talk to. As such we then have to talk to each other, we call it TIBA. So when you are taking off you need to tell everybody that you are taxiing, and lining up and talking off etc, so that other planes at that airfield and in the sky know. Once in the air you need to tell everybody in the area who you are, where you are and where you are going. Often you will hear another plane come back immediately and respond. This is usually because from your radio message he has realized you are close to him, and so he broadcasts to tell you where he is. Even though the sky is big, you still do get cases of people flying into each other, especially near airports.
Greg Perkins
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:05 am

Apparently it is not a legal requirement to have a radio on a Microlight??
I respectfully disagree Kind sir.

Take a look at:
http://www.caa.co.za/lexisnexis/lnb.asp ... ya/bneya#h
Byron Kirkland
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:53 am

bobthebuilder wrote:

Take a look at:
Thanks Byron. I was hoping I was wrong. If this was the case, then why do we have to have the Radio Operators Certificate and have radio procedures as part of our licencing requirements. There are some pilots who believe what I stated. Hope they are corrected as soon as possible.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
justin.schoeman
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby justin.schoeman » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 am

bobthebuilder wrote:

Take a look at:
Hi Bobthebuilder.

Did you read the link you posted. Radios are only required if you fly in airspace where 2 way comms is a requirement. So for 95% of SA's low level airspace, a radio is not a legal requirement.

That said, a radio is still an essential safety device, and you really should not really fly without one, even if it is not legally required.

Justin
topflight
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby topflight » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 am

bobthebuilder wrote:
I also now see how if you're on a lower altitude then you don't hear what all the commercial pilots are saying.. Also, could you switch to their frequencies just for fun?? Thanks for the help guys
Altitude has little to do with transmissions that are received. It relates more to the airspace you are in, and the frequency in use for that airspace.
You can tune in and listen to conversations between commercial jet liners and ATC (Air Traffic Control) with a hand held radio. I'm not sure of the licensing issues though.
Altitude has A LOT to do with transmissions received. The radio in an aircraft work on a line of sight principle; if you are higher up and more clear of obstacles you will be able to transmit further or receive transmissions better (also remember that radios can only transmit\receive as far as their technical capabilities allow them to). For instance, I stay in PTA and I am able to hear the commercial aircrafts inbound for ORT talking to ATC but I cannot hear the ATC talking back to them. The aircraft are much higher up; they are in line of sight with my radio but the ATC at ORT not.

Like Bob said there are a lot of different freq for different airspaces; if you are at the right place and on the right freq you will be able to hear these guys speak.
zucac
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby zucac » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Hi Phislet
Now you know how a radio works its time for flight and see it all come together.
I fly my trike out of Groutville on the North Coast you are welcome to come for a free flight.
my name is Brett
08two 8918016
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bobthebuilder » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Altitude has A LOT to do with transmissions received. The radio in an aircraft work on a line of sight principle
Thanks for the clarification Topflight. I interpreted Phislet in a different context.
Byron Kirkland