Prop diameter, pitch, blade numbe and gearing vs performance

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
CommanderKeen
Signed up at flight school

Prop diameter, pitch, blade numbe and gearing vs performance

Postby CommanderKeen » Tue May 14, 2013 12:02 pm

Sorry for the newbie question.

I would like to know how different gearing, prop diameter, number of prop blades, and prop pitch affect performance. The microlight I am considering will have a Rotax 582. Standard gear ratio 2,58:1, optional 3:1 and 3,47:1. I am looking at the warp drive propellors with either 2, 3, 4 or 5 blades and in diameters 68", 70" or 72". As far as I can tell the prop pitch is ground adjustable, then fixed for the duration of the flight.

Can anyone assist with how all these variables will affect performance? I have heard that a higher gear ratio (4:1) with a 5 blade prop gives good take off performance, short ground roll, high climb rate, etc, but a substantially reduced top speed.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Prop diameter, pitch, blade numbe and gearing vs perform

Postby KFA » Tue May 14, 2013 6:58 pm

This is a very technical question that can not be meaningfully answered whithout all the relevant info.

What type of aircraft are we talking about?
What will it mainly be used for? Mission?
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
CommanderKeen

Postby CommanderKeen » Tue May 14, 2013 7:08 pm

It is a Quicksilver Sport 2S. It will be used primarily for fun flying. I don't know yet if I need a better climb rate or better economy, or better speed, etc.

I want to know what combinations of the mentioned options will affect which performance parameters, and how. I am trying to understand how they go together to influence different performance parameters.

My question is general as I want as much info as possible not just what will give me best climb or best speed, etc.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Tue May 14, 2013 7:40 pm

As I said, it's a very technical discussion which I am willing to share over coffee... Ek kan nie so baie tik nie puff . My advise is to stick to what the manufacturer recommends. On this plane with it's high drag coeficient it would make little difference. Your topspeed is 70mph and your criuse 50-55mph so your speed range is small. The max prop size yo can use is a 72" if I am correct(Boom) so I would just stick to a standard 3,47 gearbox with a 2 or 3 blade fixed or ground adjustable prop 68 - 72 inch. I would go for a Warp 3 blade 72". You can cut it back and pitch it coarser if need be. More blades will not make a big difference, only adds weight. Keep it light and it will fly right.
Last edited by KFA on Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
CommanderKeen

Postby CommanderKeen » Tue May 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Thank you for the reply. If i was in SA I would take you up on your offer for coffee and a discussion. Perhaps when i am back in August. I will probably only be looking to buy maybe early next year.

I have seen the same recommendation elsewhere, for a 3,47 gearbox and 72" 3 blade warp drive prop. At this stage it may what I will go for.