Type approved radios.

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
nickjaxe
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Type approved radios.

Postby nickjaxe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:56 am

Hi guys...over here in the uk no new hand-held type radios are available to use in micros that are types approved by our CAA...which they need to be to use in and a/c,

We are basically stuck with old icom A20s which I think was the last handheld type to be approved and are hard to come by these days, the other option is to use a very very expensive panel mount radio,

Matters are going to be far worse in a few years for us over here as our old A20 will be going in the bin due to 8.33khz spacing being mandatory the A20 being 25khz,

What do you guys in SA need to do to be able to use handhelds in micros....I see lots of you guys are using Vertex radios...has your CAA got an approval system.

Nick.
What a nice feeling it is being part of such a nice group of people, {Microlighters}
D2O
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Type approved radios.

Postby D2O » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi there.
Basically, our radios do not go through our CAA for compliance. Our CAA refers all radio related licensing (excluding pilot radio usage proficiency) to ICASA which regulates all radio spectrum and device licensing in South Africa (including commercial radio and television). As long as it's an ICASA approved radio, it's fine to use on our planes.
Normally there is an "ICASA Approved" sticker on approved radios purchased in South Africa, but if an imported one (e.g. Vertex VXA220 handheld) is on their "approved list", then they will license it also without testing or putting a sticker on.

The jury is still out on whether ICASA actually tests half of the things they approve though. They only seem to be interested in whether you've paid their prescribed fees rather than anything else :roll:
Plane-less
ZULU1
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby ZULU1 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Nick, i personally believe that using a old type approved Icom, namely the Ica 2/20 series and the later Ica3/22 series is nothing less than totally irresponsible. The Ica3/22 are still in service here but are getting old in the tooth. With age capacitors are basically dated, they can destroy themselves in service and can be more of a hazard than a compliance. In south africa we just get on with it. Pathetic regulations and if i were you i would just move on to more reliable kit..
Centrifugal force in pure Physics does not exist, however this does not apply to Taxi drivers..
nickjaxe
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby nickjaxe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:35 pm

Zulu1...that's the problem...we are not allowed to use up to date equip as its not type approved over here...I just wish we could use the likes of the Vertex 220,

With a bit of luck things may have to change in the near future but in the mean time its interesting to see how other countries get on with rules on regs,

Your authorities seem much more enlightened.

Nick.
What a nice feeling it is being part of such a nice group of people, {Microlighters}
Peter.L.
Ready for the first flight

Postby Peter.L. » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am

Hi Nick,

I'm surprised by your posting as it was my understanding that type-approval of radio equipment was undertaken by OFCOM as the regulator, similar to our set-up here in SA. I cannot believe that OFCOM has not type-approved any aeronautical equipment subsequent to the A20! Are you sure it is not the case that the latest radios are in fact type-approved by OFCOM but, for whatever reason, have not been accepted for use by CAA? If that is the case, it behoves the aeronautical fraternity to exert pressure on CAA (with heavy emphasis on the "Safety of Life" aspect) to update and modernise their list of acceptable equipment.

I recall that some years ago, when the Marine regulator SAMSA commenced operations, they tried to usurp the type-approval of radio equipment for maritime use. They were duly informed that this was ICASA's responsibility (ICASA being the regulator in SA) and the most they could do was indicate what type of radio equipment was required aboard the various categories of vessel, however, if a particular radio had been type-approved for maritime use by ICASA, SAMSA could not prohibit it's use, unless of course it was totally unsuitable for use on a specific category of vessel, e.g. non-intrinsically safe equipment on an oil tanker or gas carrier. The CAA in RSA has never attempted to type-approve radio equipment so I would suggest you re-examine the legal requirements/procedures with respect to type-approval in UK.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Regards,

Peter (previously employed by ICASA but now on pension)
nickjaxe
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby nickjaxe » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Peter...there are some panel mounted radios the are very very expensive but no hand-held types suitable for flexwings apart from the very very old Icoms....its all very unsatisfactory,

Be even worse in 2018 I think it is when we will have to bin our old Icoms as 8.33khz spacing is then mandatory.....you guys are very lucky.
mulderpm
The Boss
The Boss

Postby mulderpm » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:44 pm

When I asked this question the response was. We fly Experimental aircraft, not Certified, therefore the radio you fit, as long as it is ICASA approved and therefore on sale in SA from a dealer, is your choice. Nothing about the aircraft needs to be certified. If you change something structural which has not been done and approved before, like changing the seating, fitting a different engine, you have to do a proving flight (40 hrs).

The radio is not structural.
Paul Mulder
Tailwinds are the best
ZU-DBC Aquilla
Pretoria
Sukkelaar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sukkelaar » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:06 pm

Radios are not compolsory in weight shift aircraft in South Africa

Regards
Kyk Noord
Delmar02

Postby Delmar02 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:06 am

Hi, you all have shared really nice information here which seems that you all have good experience in this field. Actually I really like to read about these things just for general information, so please suggest me such platform which would provide me more information about that all. thanks in advance.