Loose prop on Bantam B22J / Jabiru 3300

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
tigger_na
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Loose prop on Bantam B22J / Jabiru 3300

Postby tigger_na » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Dear Forumites

During a pre-flight today we found that the prop was loose on the prop flange, and had been loose for a while already. The locating studs developed a groove where they go through the flange, the holes in the flange are now slightly oval, the prop mounting bolts are worn thinner and the prop has a few minor cracks radiating outwards from the mounting holes. The bolt torque was checked four hours ago, in accordance with the manual.

What could have caused this? I maintain that to check a torque you must first loosen the bolt and then re-tighten, otherwise you're working against static friction and this gives a higher torque reading than when the nut is torqued from loose.

Blue skies
Arthur
pit bull
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Re: Loose prop on Bantam B22J / Jabiru 3300

Postby pit bull » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:05 pm

dag Arthur,

ek het jou n mail gestuur.

pit bull
Blessed By THE BEST.
lefssa
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby lefssa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:08 am

Have you complied with Jabiru recommendations to fit the longer bolts with 9 washers on the bolts. this seems to fix the problem of the nuts coming loose. I also had this problem but it has not happened since i did the mod.
tigger_na
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby tigger_na » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:23 am

No, I haven't. Will follow up, thanks for the tip!

This is Jabiru Service Bulletin JSB022? (http://www.jabiru.net.au/Service%20Bull ... nting).PDF) I'm not at the aircraft, but I think it's impossible to fit the bolt through the prop flange with the tread pointing forward, there's no space between the flange and the engine block to get the bo..., :idea: Wait, If one inserts the bolt in the guide bush first, before fitting the guide bush, this should work.