New hang point adjuster on Aquilla II

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
kill_devil
Pre flight checks done

New hang point adjuster on Aquilla II

Postby kill_devil » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:35 pm

Spent four fantastic days in the Kalahari flying around the pans with the A-Team. When we paid a visit to the Bundu Bash camp at Koppieskraal I happened to bump into Aidan who was exhibiting his latest Aquilla innovation.

Instead of using a heavy electric worm gear device to move the hang point position in flight, a method that never seems to have caught on, he has fabricated a very elegant pulley system that enables muscle power alone to move the keel fore and aft. This allows the trim speed to be adjusted without changing the reflex, something I have always viewed with suspicion.

It looks as if he has managed to get a 4:1 mechanical advantage using standard "yachting" type gear. It's great to see a local manufacturer still at the leading edge - literally.

Rob
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground"
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Junkie » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:25 pm

Hi ..
Sounds "tacky" and may get one pitch poleing arse over tip if not carefull :shock: (to add a bit of yachting pallance :) .... - yech!!

Seen this type of arrangement before and usually turns out to be a bit of a cluter of ropes and pulleys and could present a safety problem if one forgets to or can't uncleat the rope in time

I and many others locally have been using electric trim devices very succesfully for many years and most of the installations are very neat. New actuators available on the market weigh in at less than a kilo and are really super neat (albight a tad expensive). Average install is around R2500

Experience show safe operating speed range between 40 and 70mph ( can be expanded, but depends on travel/length of actuator and available keel travel)

The Mainairs hangpoint/keels make ideal base to do this on. Aquilla and others usually need a sideon arrangement, but need a decent actuator and bracketry to avoid shudder during flight.
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:44 pm

Rob. Is it a single handed operation to trim the wing? I had a look on the Solowing web site but could not find any info on it. Does any one have a picture of the set up ??
kill_devil
Pre flight checks done

Postby kill_devil » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:35 pm

Spoke to Aidan and he will take some pictures of the whole mechanism.
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground"