582 carb settings

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
soekiwindni
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

582 carb settings

Postby soekiwindni » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:13 pm

My 582 is running at 85 deg C (and climbing), one up, 5300 rpm and above. Pretoria late afternoons.
I checked the thermostat and it seems to be fine (opens half way down and was told that is regarded as "fully open").
Replaced the coolant (30%) and destilled water (70%).

It might be that my engine is running too lean :?:

I read all the relevant posts on jet sizes etc,etc, etc, and would like to know (in laymans terms and without too much technical "confusion"):
158 Main jet is recommended for inland (Pretoria). Would there be any negative effects on using a 165 (except for higher fuel consumption)?
Will this cause the water temps to come done?

More dof questions:
To balance the carbs I adjust the throttel cables (where it goes into the carbs)? YES/NO :oops:
How may turns +/- should the Air Screw jet be turned (from fully closed / screwed in)?
Can the idling jet / Screw be turned untill the desired idling rpm is obtained or is there some other secret to it?

Thanks.
Jodie.
083 5500 977
bobthebuilder
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: 582 carb settings

Postby bobthebuilder » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:01 pm

What trike is attached to the 582?
Is the radiator fitted under the trike, where runway debris can damage the cooling fins?
What condition is the radiator in?
I doubt that the problem is with the carbs. Most of us jhb / PTA folks are using that jet size wothout any issues.
The idle must not be set by tensioning the cables. An idle screw is provided on the side of each carb carb for this purpose. It merely sets the lift of the slide within the carb. Some folks have set the idling with drinking straws, because you cannot get a vernier in the venturi to measure the height of each slide.
Ideally they should be balanced with a vacuum guage. Speak to your local AP about getting this set efficiently. The Bing carbs are three stage carbs, and have an idle circuit, a mid range circuit, and a full throttle circuit.

I doubt that the carbs would be the cause of your problem.
Could there be an air lock in the coolant system when you changed the coolant?
5300 rpm to maintain level flight doesn't seem to far out in my opinion. My engine runs at between 4800 and 5200. The pitch of your prop also plays a role here.

Normal operating temperature is between 65 and 80 deg. How much over 85 does it run?
The maximum continuous rpm is 6500.
What plugs are you running?
I think that your bet would be to have an AP check this out.
Byron Kirkland
Tonies
Thinking of flying

Re: 582 carb settings

Postby Tonies » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:56 pm

I had the same problem and found the thermistat sticking in the open position replced it and is 100 now
Tony ZU-CBI