Tracking Devices

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss
Location: Kroon Airfield, Home of Rosslyn Microflyers, Pretoria

Tracking Devices

Postby Air Hog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:07 am

After this accident this weekend, I want to know why they don't make tracking devices compulsory in Aircraft. These days these things are cheap small. The search for these planes must have cost Hundreds of Thousands and took almost 3 days.
I have one of these things and it cost me less than R3000. We have used it now yesterday again to track the Jabi that my partners flew up from Margate. Tracking it on the web all the time. Dawie was surprised when I phoned him and I told him that I can see that they are busy refueling in Margate.
We Microlighters have a good chance of not being fatally injured in an accident because our aeries are slow. Can you imagine lying at the wreck in cold weather for 3 days before someone finds you...

How much is your life worth?

Attached is a couple of screens. You have a replay in Google Earth with Altitute
Margate Takeoff.JPG
Take Off from Margate
Margate Takeoff.JPG (42.3 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
Landing at Ladysmith.JPG
Landing at Ladysmith
Landing at Ladysmith.JPG (28.16 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
Final Track.JPG
Final track home
Final Track.JPG (33.98 KiB) Viewed 2880 times
Johan Welman - aka Air Hog
"The sky is not the limit... it is where the fun starts!!"
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Re: Tracking Devices

Postby Tumbleweed » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:00 am

CAn you provide details- supplier, price with any monthly rates and a web page where we can see the tracking?

This is a good oppertunity to list similar products with pricing and let the knowledgeable comment.

I think Cobra from the vfr.co.za page is also involved.

Punt the products here.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:17 am

Hi
I am not punting a specific product. The one I use is at http://www.kilometers.co.za/web/kilo.php but there are various other products on the market.
Last edited by Air Hog on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gompou
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Gompou » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:21 am

The only problem I see here is the fact that these tracker systems use the GPRS signal(cellphone) to relay the progress of the tracker itself. The cellphone signal is not available in big parts of the country. But at least you could get a update on a last known position, But if I understand it correctly there has to be a signal present for the tracker to give a precise location.Someone with more info, can you please comment here.

Look also at the post of John Boucher regarding the discount that MISSASA offers. Something back for your subscription money.Thanks to the organizers.
Fly safe
Gompou
Naked Cobra
ZU-CON
JvTonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby JvTonder » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Saw this on Avcom, anyone have some first hand knowledge off how it works please comment.

http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude/
Flying feeds the soul!
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:33 pm

I have been using Latitude with varying success but falls way short of the requirements one would need for decent tracking & S&R.

We used it on the ferry flight of the Cheetah down from Springs to Mossel Bay and there sections that my softness saw it quite well and then there was times it never updated....

I'm for a dedicated system that enables itself when the aircraft moves and records the last stationary point. Also, apart from tracks I download from my GPS, this records all and even altitude. Besides tracking for safety, it has another advantage and that is proving allegations of airspace busting or low flying (bet some won't want it now!)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:55 am

I can then say that the Kilometer is the way to go. If you see the tracks that we had on our trip from Margate to Kroon, even over the Drakensberg, in really remote areas, the signal were never lost. Position and altitute always available. And the best is, the unit was in a side pocket in the door to prevent it from sliding around, not even on the dash. We have now mounted it with Velcro on the dash. The unit remains in standby mode while not moving and start recording when motion is detected.
Replay for ZU-CLR for 2011-08-16.kmz
See tracks recorded in Google Earth
(49.91 KiB) Downloaded 133 times
AEROYOTA
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby AEROYOTA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 am

Hi There,
We have been in the tracking scene for some years now and I like this unit below.
I sells for less than R 2 000,00 with a monthly fee of min. R 39,00
It uses GPRS as well as GPS for locating the unit and has lots of optional extras.
You can find them here.

http://www.selftrack.co.za/selftrack/main/vas

Strongs. :)
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am

I don't think there is a monthly fee on the Kilometer unit?

Come Air Hog ... elaborate on your costs....
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
LenM
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby LenM » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:59 pm

I gave the guys at 'Kilometer' a call and they seem to be a jacked up bunch!

Have a look at their website as it quickly and easily explains the working and possible application of their different units.
There are different settings on 'polling' depending on your needs...
1.Normal mode
2.High Power Mode
3.Super Track Mode
4.Low Power Mode

John, as per your query regarding operational cost:
"After the initial 24 months a projected cost of R 570.00 VAT included for the next 24-month period. This price is a once-off price that includes enough airtime loaded on a pre- paid SIM card to last for 24 months of GPRS data under normal tracking conditions (approximately 50 M-byte worth of data at present pre- paid data costs). Should you run out of airtime, the SIM card can be recharged by any of the normal pre- paid recharge facilities."

It does use the Vodacom cell network, but the unit captures the coords as you travel (based on your prefered setting) and then updates as soon as you get signal... It could therefore be possible, when flying out of range of a mast, that you will not have a displayed position for a while. Once in range again, your track will be updated. To my mind, still better than having nothing?!
Furthermore, when out of range of a tower, I'd actually make a habit of getting some altitude to update my coords, if my position at that time is truly critical!?

I can of course not vouch for this particular product, but I'm def getting this type of device!!
Not only for myself, but realise the peace of mind it would bring to my family....
Len M

The knack [to flying] lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Thank you for your feedback Len...

I'll be supporting kilometers because of the MISASA initiative and the product appeals to me! :-)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Air Hog
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Air Hog » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:59 pm

John Boucher wrote:I don't think there is a monthly fee on the Kilometer unit?

Come Air Hog ... elaborate on your costs....
There is no monthly cost. Will have to update prepaid Vodacom sim once every 2 years +- R100. That is what it have on when you get it.
HansK
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby HansK » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:33 pm

Much cheaper than any of the systems that work on cellphone reception, is available on vfrplanner.co.za You only need a cellphone that has got a GPS and it cost less than R100 per year. It is all on this fantastic website. You download VFR Tracker onto your phone, activate it and fly. The whole family tracks me all the way when I am flying long distances.
You need to pay for some services on the site like 7 day weather forecast, PLUS THE UPPER-WIND actuals and 5 day forecast, but it is not expensive. It is a fantastic website. The back-up service on this site is measured in minutes, not hours or days. I highly recommend the tracker and other info on this site.
ZS-NEL
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby ZS-NEL » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:49 pm

Sias's VFR Tracker works fine and I have tested it from my BlackBerry 9700 Bold today. I will be switching on tomorrow on the ferry flight of ZU-ECA from Rhino park to Uitenhage. You can follow me here: http://www.infozone.tv/index.php?option ... &Itemid=75 (^^)