Transporting Trike on Trailer

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Transporting Trike on Trailer

Postby Arnulf » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:10 pm

Hi,

I am considering taking up microlighting, and possibly investing in a trike. At this stage I have not flown in a trike, and do not know too much about them. The main reason I would prefer a trike to a 3 axis microlight is, that it can be transported on a trailer.

How well does a trike travel on a trailer? Can this be done routinely? Can it handle the corrugations and potholes of gravel roads, or could the vibrations and jolts cause longterm damage to the trike, ie the engine mounts etc. I would imagine it needs a closed trailer to prevent stone damage.

How long does it take to dissasemble and assemble a trike for transport. The sales folks claim it can be done in half an hour. Is this realistic?

Regards,
Arnulf
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Postby John Young » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:44 am

Warm welcome Arnulf.

Trailering a trike is not for me – too much PT. However, trikes are towed around all the time. Proper folding of the wing and secure tie-downs will prevent damage. Energetic pilots can rig a trike fairly quickly.

Question – why not leave your trike rigged at a convenient airfield? When I did hang gliding, I had two major “bitches”. One was the rigging and de-rigging and the other was waiting for the wind.

I have “nuked” these two “bitches” by leaving my trike rigged.
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:48 am

Hi John,

thanks for your answer. I would defnitely leave the trike rigged at an airfield most of the time. I would only trailer the trike to take it on holiday, to Moz or Nam.

Regards,

Arnulf
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby kb » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:52 am

Arnulf,

Welcome to the forum. hope you don't get as addicted as some of us are.
I have not trailored my trike before, as John said, I've got it a a airfield where I fly from.
Rigging and de-rigging, can be done in 30 mins, (Max 60) if you know what you are doing. Trust me, it will take a few practices to get this down to Guiness world record time. I assume that towing a trike, is like towing another trilor. Your speed is a little slower, and you need to avoid those potholes where possible.
Yes, gravel roads are not good for engine mounts, ask Dark Helmet. The rubber mounts are there to absorb shocks between the airframe and the engine, but hammering tham on a gravel road for hundreds of k's, is not giong to be the kindest thing you have done to your plane. If it's a trip here or there, then it shuld be OK, but personally I would not do it to often. I have also seen people wrap a towel over the wheel spats and instrument pod to protect against stone's, but have also never seen a closed trailor.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:32 am

Arnulf, welcome to the best hobby in the world, you'll love it!!!

When we have a fly-out as a group we try as far as possible to fly there. With trailering you do get trailer-rash...!

It takes myself and two other pilots just over an hour to de-rigg the ML and another half hour or so to tie it securely on a trailer. I think 30 minute to do the whole shebang is a bit quick and then you rushing it, hence more trailer-rash.

Mt 2c
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
ZU-ANE

Postby ZU-ANE » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:19 pm

I de-rig my trike often for trips to Moz. If you know what you are doing 30 min is about right. Practice makes perfect. Only shit is to ofload trike of the trailer when alone. If you tie properly on trailer with enough spunge etc for cushion you don't get damage. Go for it,it's great fun and addictive :lol: :lol: :shock:
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:48 pm

I a personally very pro trailer. Especially since I am a solo pilot and battle to find ground crew.

It is important to me to have ground transport and loads of luggage ;) Has to go by car!

The aerie takes a LOT of hamerring on the back of that trailer! Wherever I would rather avoid trailering though
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:10 pm

Hi,

thanks for the answers.

@ DarkHelmet:
The aerie takes a LOT of hamerring on the back of that trailer!
In your opinion, could this eventually cause structural failure, or is it more a nuisance problem, ie. scratches and rash?
Would it help if the motor is removed from the airframe, or is this not feasable? (I apologise in advance if this is a daft question, :oops: I never paid too much attention how the motor and its ancilliaries are attached to the airframe)

Regards,
Arnulf
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:31 am

Transporting a Trike on a trailer has it's pro's and its con's.

If you are going to do it once a year to go on holiday etc ok not a bad plan. to do it multiple times a year ( more than 4 times) not a good idea. you get alot of Hangar rash, and small little problems that could lead to you being grounded, like you did not tie the prop to stop it from wind milling, now suddenly to have a mark on the wing where the prop rubbed through the material which has caused a weak spot, or you pick up a stone the bounces off the battery and by the time you get to where ever you have a dead battery. i have had both senarios and i have also had a stone through my instrument pod, no damage to the instruments but the pod was scrap afterwards.
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:07 am

Hi,

thanks everybody for the input. Makes a lot of sense. I once saw a couple of okes pulling a gyrocopter on a trailer to Luderitz through the sandstorm. To be honest, it was a bit of a sorry sight. It probably would be best to transport the trike in an enclosed trailer. Sounds expensive :roll: .

There is an outfit in Nam doing it that way. Check out their Website: http://www.pilots-paradise.de

Regards,

Arnulf
LarryMcG
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby LarryMcG » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

HI All

I'v had great sucess, taking my trike - old windlass-, through many thousands of km, Malawi, Mozambique etc. Always on the back of my double cab bakkie. I built a modification that goes over the open tail gate, to hold the two back wheels, with the front tied down against the front of the cab. Wing has 3 brackets, one upwards from the bullbar, one on the rollbar, and one at the back. About 40 minutes to rig and derig, from parking the bakkie, until driving away. Have done this many times now, and have never suffered any ill effect at all.

pics if wanted.

Larry
Reza
Looking at the sky

Bakkie style

Postby Reza » Fri May 11, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi Larry,

I am thinking of getting my trike on the back of my 4x4Hilux D/cab I am sure it must be way better than a trailer. I was going to change the bin but now that I have read your post I definitely would like to see your pics, please send if possible! :D
Howzit from the warm heart of Africa
Keep smiling & styling!
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sat May 12, 2007 7:43 am

I have a similar device (framework) that sits on the back of the bakkie with the trike strapped in (onto) it. Off to the hangar now. Will take a pic and post it later today.
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Aerosan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Aerosan » Sat May 12, 2007 10:10 am

Duck can you like to remember where BaraG is :?: phone if you need directins :roll: :twisted:
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sat May 12, 2007 11:58 am

Hmmm..let's see, I think it's on the way to Bloemfontein :D
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two