Magneto problems

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Magneto problems

Postby Mc Guyver » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:32 pm

Hi all back home.
Well done on the memberlist! shows the value of the group!

Has anyone had problems with one of their magnetos failing
on a rotax 582? Did you attempt a rewind? What were the hours?

Secondly, anybody know how to check out a rev counter? if you put
say 6V DC across should it read so many revs, or should it have a
set resistance across the terminals?
:lol: :x
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:37 pm

Hi McGuyver,

I had endless problems with the external ignition coils packing in. I had to replace the one coil three times in the life of the engine. As you have probably found out, these coils are not cheap :!:

At one stage I pulled the engine out in the hope that it may be because of the main charge coil. I found some perished wire on the harness and replaced that while I was about it, but the magneto's were inconsistent. I never considered a rewind as the resistance values on the coil all conformed to spec.

In the end I just replaced the engine and I have never looked back. Maybe you also just have a dud engine :?:
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:42 pm

As far as I know it should have an ac input, not DC :?:
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Mc Guyver » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:32 pm

Thanks for the input so far.
Has anyone else some other suggestions??
The faulty rev counter is on another Rotax 582 :roll:
The coils are the magneto ones with one magnet being slightly damaged on the flywheel.
Flywheels are out of stock with agents giving delivery of maybe two weeks or two months!!! :cry:
Could one damaged magnet cause any major problem :?: :?:
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:48 pm

The ignition system comprises 3 components.

1) The charger coil within the housing near the flywheel. This generates the initial charge which is fed through to the 2 external ignition coils. The charge is generated by the turning flywheel relative to this coil.

2) the two external coils which step up the charge generated at by 1) to produce the sparks at the plugs via the HT leads. The spark then ignites the fuel in the cylinders

3) the 2 trigger sensors which are lined up with the flywheel within the housing the ones you were talking about). These are responsible for ensuring that the charge from the two external coils are timed correctly at the spark plugs.

Its unlikely that the trigger sensors are at fault. My opinion is that either 1) or 2) are either burned out or damaged.

If its 2) its either one or both coils depending on which magneto is not firing (this can be expensive), but at least its easy to replace these coils without taking the engine out.

or its 1). This is a schlep as it basically means you have to take the engine out to replace this coil. Its also quite expensive to replace.

Phone microlight engines and speak to Niren. (011) 4554203.

He is very jacked upon these ignition problems, but dont expect too much sympathy as he will be selling you the parts :lol:
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Mc Guyver » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:58 pm

Thanks Microwave,
The problem is with the internal coil. A piece of steel broke off the top of one of the coils, damaging the coil and also one magnet :cry:
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Mc Guyver » Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:10 pm

Think we may have located someone who can rebuild :?: :?:
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:24 pm

Are you asking who can do the job for you? Its really not so bad, all you have to do is lift the engine off its mountings. I just lift it off with a block and tackle hanging from the rafters in the garage. You dont even need to remove the prop or even take off the exhaust or radiator. Once it is lifted you then just push the undercarriage away from the engine and access to the flywheel and ignition coil is easy. You just need a puller to remove the flywheel. Where are you? I have the puller if you want to borrow it. You should get the job done in the course of an afternoon.
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:47 pm

I think he is in Australia. I know that Demon said you upcountry types go in for long distance flying but this may be stretching it a bit :wink:
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:19 pm

OOOOOps :oops: I should check the locations first n future. Maybe he will buy me a ticket so that I can help him with his magneto problem. I have sufficient experience to make it worth his while :lol:
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Mc Guyver » Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:32 am

The fitting is the easy part. We have already stripped to find the problem.
Around 3/4 hour work. The difficult part is trying to get the spares :!:
Our local supplier down under gives delivery as maybe two weeks or maybe two months :twisted: These are the joys of living in a first world country :!: :evil:
I contacted him this morning and he is going to look if he has a "pre owned" magneto :D
Microwave

new parts

Postby Microwave » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:37 am

Well, we certainly dont live in a first world country (any longer) and we can get parts chop chop. I am sure that our agent will have it in the post within a few hours and you will have it in a couple of days. Are you in the deep outback with several days camel ride to a large centre or what? If not, it may be worth your while. and they will be new parts too :!:

Niren, I want some commission on this one :!: :wink:
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Mc Guyver » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:47 am

We are very close to civilization being 70 km North of the jungle of Sydney.
I have the local agent posting me the Magneto coils , hopefully these will arrive on Monday. The flywheel he does not have any stock of so I am going to try the old one which has a little damage to the magnets.
Hey Niren, can you show up your friend Wal!! :wink: Have you stock of the flywheel :?:
Regards,
Len
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby IFLYHI » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:19 am

A instructor and student had a engine out the the other day. :shock: (Yes I know this is not strange in itself :roll: )

The cause: both coils on the fly wheel failed shortly after take off :evil:

Their pre-take off checks include mag test, and I know he is religious about the checks :!:

On inspection they found that the varnish of the coils have failed, both at the same time :evil:

Both walked away from the scene :lol: after landing in a ploughed land, the plane sustained about R30k damage :cry:

Rotax have since that 582 engine was manufactured, 11 year ago, made 2 mods to the system, however these are not bulletined as necessary conversions :?
This ties in with another topic, all reliable engines are still only made from metal, with things that turn and at some stage will fail :cry:
No it does not glide- it FLIES