ENGINE START AFTER 6 MONTHS

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
soekiwindni
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

ENGINE START AFTER 6 MONTHS

Postby soekiwindni » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:27 pm

Just bought a 582 which stood for 6+ months. What would be the best way of "prepping" the engine as to avoid any possible damage :?:

Someone advised removing sparkplugs and spraying Q20 into chambers then turning prop several times prior to startup.

HELP..... for obvious reasons I would not want to damage a 582 that has only done 30 hours :!: :!:

Thanks.
Soekiwindi
Nacho
Survived second engine out

Re: ENGINE START AFTER 6 MONTHS

Postby Nacho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:36 am

Depending on how long it has stood for.

To be safe:

* Drain your re oil re-savoir tank, blow through the pipes and make sure they are not clogged.
* Add new oil, the same oil you will be using in your two stroke tank (autolube), or which you will use in your pre-mix.
* Pull the pull start a few times, so the machine can take the oil and top re-savoir tank up as necessary. Don't start.
* Replace the spark plugs, 30Hrs is about the time to replace anyway. Gap 0.5mm
* Open your carbs and clean it with carb cleaner. Make sure your jets are clean. Fuel does get old and can clog the carbs.
* Drain old fuel and put fresh fuel in your tank.
* Drain your cooling liqued and put fresh water (distilled) and anti-freeze in (50/50). I use Motul, the one I use are already mixed and you can just add it like that. Make sure it has been designed to work with aluminium systems.
* Pull the pull start for about a minute, make sure she sounds happy. Put your mags on and start her.
* Let her idle for a few minutes before revving her up. Check your CHT, in some cases when putting in water, the cooling system can create a bubble effect and your system might have inadequate water in. You will notice this immediately by looking at your CHT. After idling for a few minutes, stop the engine and check your liquid levels.
* I would do a few ground runs, taxing around for about and half an hour, might not be all at once, as your machine might overheat due to insufficient air flow over your radiator.
* Don't be shy taking her to full revs while doing these runs.
* Stop your engine after shutting her down, open your carb bowls and make sure it is half full of juice. This is just to make sure your machine wont suffer from fuel starvation. Fuel bowls must always be 50% filled with fuel if you shut your machine down.

All the best!
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)
MADDOG
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby MADDOG » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:21 am

In addition to what Nacho has said, I would make sure the airfilters are new and oiled and run the first tank at 20 to 1 oil mix. (If using autolube, premix in the tank as well) Fit new plugs again after this.
Aquilla the Hun
soekiwindni

Postby soekiwindni » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:19 pm

thanks - will do (^^)

Soekiwindi
AEROYOTA
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby AEROYOTA » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Be careful with that carb cleaner as it dissolves any trace of two stroke, especially when sprayed into the air intake of the carb. It can cause a crank to seize in no time. :shock: ## ##
Nacho

Postby Nacho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:44 pm

The carb cleaner I refer to is the liquid type, used to wash your
jets ans carb parts in. I don't like the spray stuff, for the same reasons
as stated.
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)
Playboy
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby Playboy » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Soekiwindni :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Skoppi tyers en check die juice :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ## ##

Safe Landings (!!) (!!) (!!)
Brendan Botha
ZS-Nothing at this stage