GOOD QUALITY HELMET CAMS

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
Asterix

GOOD QUALITY HELMET CAMS

Postby Asterix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:13 pm

I know there are numerous threads about photography in this forum - but I get twisted in knots.

Is there anybody that knows about a good quality helmet videocam with GOOD RESOLUTION? I have searched shops and websites but most of these cams are built to deliver low pixels - something that will look okay on You Tube but once you cut it onto a DVD and pop it into the DVD player the image on yout TV looks like a videogame from the early 80's.

I have solved the problem of photos from a trike with a newer model Sony Cybershot which gives gazillions of megapixels, and easy to handle in flight, but video is still a problem. I have tried my Sony Handycam - but it is akward to handle in the air - also I cannot get rid of that windnoise despite trying a couple of tricks.

There MUST be a videocam out there that you can stick to your helmet AND ## ## get good quality footage?

Camera wiz- kids, please help me out here? Straight and simple? What can I buy?

Mogas
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Re: GOOD QUALITY HELMET CAMS

Postby Mogas » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Mine is a ContourHD, my second one and it is great. It records to SD, just plug and play, no changing file types and all that c$%p!
Easy to set the resolution to anything up to 1830HD. Charges via USB, more than enough recording time on a 2 gig card, can't remember exactly how much but I have never filled the card.
Google that and you can see sample videos.
Hope that helps.
Mogas
Nottaquitta
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby kloot piloot » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Asterisk, a hang gliding mate of mine got me the HD Go-Pro Hero. 2 Hours HD video capacity on the SD card, a whole range of brackets and fittings, watertight casing, slightly smaller than a cigarette box. It also has various settings for interval still shots etc.

I am extremely happy with it. vhpy

Worth considering. I don't know the ContourHD Mogas has, but I am sure there are seeral excellent one's out there.
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
LenM
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby LenM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:49 pm

I also have the GoPro HD and it's an impressive little camera.
Doesn't seem all that high tech, but I get great (HD) results with it!!
It's also fully submersable so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.
Recently mounted it on a snowboard and took AMAZING footage without any problems!
Len M

The knack [to flying] lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
LenM
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby LenM » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:51 pm

LenM wrote:I also have the GoPro HD and it's an impressive little camera.
Doesn't seem all that high tech, but I get great (HD) results with it!!
It's also fully submersable so you don't have to worry about getting it wet.
Recently mounted it on a snowboard and took AMAZING footage without any problems!
See: http://www.actioncameras.co.za/
Len M

The knack [to flying] lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Asterix

Postby Asterix » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:19 pm

Thanks guys - will check it out!!
Alkemac
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Alkemac » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 am

ZU-DODO
wiskeyfoxtrot
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby wiskeyfoxtrot » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:10 am

Have seen a section on cameras in avcom... check out this link all the different models and prices
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73140

Hope this cam help

Later (!!)
" Excuse me while i kiss the sky "

Aeroprakt A22 Foxbat
ZU - DYE
Sport Cruiser
ZU - LSA
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:15 am

Alot op problems with the Gopro camera breaking - Mine included, not very reliable in my experience, internet full of people complaining too

When the HD helmet hero cam does record, it is phenominal

D
Big D
LenM
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby LenM » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:15 am

David

Thanks for the insight.
Haven't encountered ANY issues with mine...
Is mention made of the type of issues? Hardware, Software?!
Somewhat suspicious of reviews on the web as I once had a reviewer comment that a particular laptop was 'rubbish' because he 'only left it outside once' and now it was giving problems..
:roll:

BUT please advise of any issues encountered, would be good to know what to watch out for!
Len M

Tribal Croc
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Tribal Croc » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:51 am

I am also thinking of getting me a helmet cam for our Ezulweni trip

I like the Drift HD170 vhpy – I think the remote will come in handy on long flights :idea: also I see that you get a external mic. I wonder if there is a way to put a pin on it and connect it into my buzzcom system so that it will record all radio work :!: :!:
Last edited by Tribal Croc on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tribal Croc
ZU-ICanXplane
Bushbaby Explorer MK2
Tailwheel fun starts here

#exploringsouthafricanskies
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:16 am

David

Thanks for the insight.
Somewhat suspicious of reviews on the web as I once had a reviewer comment that a particular laptop was 'rubbish' because he 'only left it outside once' and now it was giving problems..
Hi Len

It started by the Gopro camera not always switching on, now it does not swith on at all - I have tried different bateries SD cards etc

Google it - You will find hundreds of cases like mine, I think there is even a Facebook group complaining about the issues of the camera not turning on

Also, when it did work, it never recorded longer than a half an hour before switching off - I have 2 bateries and 30gig card, tried both batteries and card obviously not the problem

Hope that helps

Cheers

D
Big D
LenM
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby LenM » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 am

Big D wrote:
David

Thanks for the insight.
Hi Len

It started by the Gopro camera not always switching on, now it does not swith on at all - I have tried different bateries SD cards etc

Google it - You will find hundreds of cases like mine, I think there is even a Facebook group complaining about the issues of the camera not turning on

Also, when it did work, it never recorded longer than a half an hour before switching off - I have 2 bateries and 30gig card, tried both batteries and card obviously not the problem

Hope that helps

Cheers

D
David

WOW :shock:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune...
Well, if that's the 'norm' it is of course unacceptable! Will advise as soon as / if I start getting similar issues!
Len M

Bugwar
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Bugwar » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:52 pm

ATC9K HD
20m Waterproof G-force & GPS
The ATC9K is the world’s first HD All Terrain Action Camera with G Sensor and GPS. Waterproof to 20meters and coming standard with a range of sports mounts, this is a very well rounded addition to the 1080p HD helmet camera range and a fantastic upgrade from the ATC3K and ATC5K action

For diving and flying with infrared remote so you can mount it somewhere ans switch it on by remote.
ZU-EHG - Raptor

Vulture Squadron videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/VultureSquadronZA
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:37 pm

I just spoke to Warrick from http://www.actioncameras.co.za Tel 08255977eight6

Sounds like my problems with the Gopro HD is not that common in their experience

These guys sell all the Helmet camera's mentioned and prices seem good, check it out

For a Microlight they recommend the Drift HD170

D
Big D