Rotax 912 Oil Pressure Sensor Problem

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Rotax 912 Oil Pressure Sensor Problem

Postby mak » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:30 am

I have experienced big fluctuations in my oil pressure readings lately and after some research it seems as if it is a common problem with the Honeywell sensors on the 912’s. The oil level was well within the limits, but not to max. I filled the oil to max and then readings were without the big fluctuations. I would like to know if anybody else has experienced this and also any suggestions on a suitable alternative sensor.
www.altairaviation.co.za
HOME OF XENON & ZEN GYROCOPTER
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Rotax 912 Oil Pressure Sensor Problem

Postby Rudix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:28 pm

mak wrote:I have experienced big fluctuations in my oil pressure readings lately and after some research it seems as if it is a common problem with the Honeywell sensors on the 912’s. The oil level was well within the limits, but not to max. I filled the oil to max and then readings were without the big fluctuations. I would like to know if anybody else has experienced this and also any suggestions on a suitable alternative sensor.
Hi!

I had an oil pressure sensor fail on a 912 recently, initially the pressure started fluctuating and then it went right off the scale on the high side. I started looking for a spot to land but as there was no other indication of a problem and no oil pipes bursting I flew home going from landing spot to the next.

It turned out to be the sensor that failed, a quick replacement and all was well. The one on my 912 was a VDO sensor that I replaced with a VDO unit from Midas, works fine!

The fact that your readings were normal after filling the oil to max might be something different, maybe the oil is foaming and some bubbles were sucked into the system?

Regards,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Wagtail
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Wagtail » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:11 am

Good morning Marius,
We have had similar issues with the senders on a few other engines. My suggestion is to bring her in so we can connect the Calibrated mechanical gauge and first verify the condition of the actual pressure signal before changing the sender unit.

Regards
Johan
Splinter
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Splinter » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:51 am

I remember a story about our late friend Straydog that had erratic pressure readings on his 912s while flying over the Drakensberg! He fixed the problem by placing a piece of tape over the reading and the flashing red light! :lol: :lol: :lol: What a boy! THIS FIX IS NOT TO BE ADVISED!

ZU-RED
Lower, Lower ...........
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Rudix wrote:It turned out to be the sensor that failed, a quick replacement and all was well. The one on my 912 was a VDO sensor that I replaced with a VDO unit from Midas, works fine!
VDO have various sensors. The 912 has a max bar of 7. Use the sensor with the 0-10bar range, readily available at any Midas

360-004 VDO Oil Pressure Sender 150psi / 10 bar
Attachments
VDO Oil Pressure 360-004large.jpg
VDO Oil Pressure 360-004large.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 17246 times
Greg Perkins
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:12 pm

Rudix / Morph

Thanks for the response. Will the wiring for the Midas VDO sensor be the same as for the Honeywell? Read somewhere that the wiring is quite different.

Splinter, if this doesn't work can you please send me the specs for the tape, sure I could figure the size out to cover. :wink: :wink:
www.altairaviation.co.za
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:07 pm

Morph wrote:
Rudix wrote:It turned out to be the sensor that failed, a quick replacement and all was well. The one on my 912 was a VDO sensor that I replaced with a VDO unit from Midas, works fine!
VDO have various sensors. The 912 has a max bar of 7. Use the sensor with the 0-10bar range, readily available at any Midas

360-004 VDO Oil Pressure Sender 150psi / 10 bar
Yes, that is the one I used, btw, it is the same one that is used on the Jabiru engines.
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:35 am

mak wrote:Rudix / Morph

Thanks for the response. Will the wiring for the Midas VDO sensor be the same as for the Honeywell? Read somewhere that the wiring is quite different.

Splinter, if this doesn't work can you please send me the specs for the tape, sure I could figure the size out to cover. :wink: :wink:
The VDO is a single wire solution, using the engine earth as the other half of the circuit. What gauge are you using?
Greg Perkins
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:47 am

Morph

I am using the MGL Odyssey panel.
www.altairaviation.co.za
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:04 am

No problem then,

You will find the Honeywell, if it has 2 wires is probably wired one wire to the MGL and the other to earth

just use the MGL link, the engine earth will be the other wire. The MGL uses an RDAC for all the wiring. This only has one input for the oild pressure sensor

check my Aircraft wiring diagram below. The black (labeled white) wire goes the the top right of the engine and the oil pressure
Attachments
EPH Wiring Diagram.jpg
Greg Perkins
mak
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby mak » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:25 am

Thanks Morph
www.altairaviation.co.za
Thatchman
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Thatchman » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:24 pm

You can buy either the two or single terminal VDO. I just replaced the one on my 912 with a two pin.

You can also buy it from Comet for about R1088.....or cheaper elsewhere.
Parasitic Drag: A pilot who bums a ride and complains about the service.

ZU - forePLaY
tigger_na
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby tigger_na » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:42 am

Cheaper elsewhere for me, please. My VDO oil sender unit also broke, giving wildly erratic readings. Luckily I had previous experience with loose instrumentation cabling and decided to limp to the airport instead of making a precautionary landing. My life, so extended, was made miserable by VDO prices, so instead of forking out a thousand bucks for a new sender unit I bought an EQUUS sender unit for 80 bucks and spent the R920 so saved on fuel. The EQUUS also has a 1/8-27 NPT thread, but only a 0-7 bar pressure range, versus the VDOs 0-10bar. Since 7 bar is the maximum allowable oil pressure on a 912 UL, this is acceptable, for me at least.

Unbelievably EQUUS is not able to provide calibration data for their oil sender unit model 9832, so I checked the resistance versus pressure by connecting the sender to a compressor and recording the resistance readings at various pressures. The results are below. Please bear in mind that the calibration was done with backyard (not calibrated laboratory) equipment. It is evident that, if the EQUUS is used as a straight drop-in replacement, your deviation in the relevant range 2-5bar range will be a maximum of 13%, which is really good enough for me. My MGL Odyssey allows me to define any linear pressure-resistance characteristic, so the error of the EQUUS drops to below 8%. Even better.
Attachments
EQUUSvsVDO.JPG
Comparison oil pressure sender unit VDO vs Equus
tigger_na
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby tigger_na » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:13 pm

Rudix, just FYI, the Rotax 912 family has a pressure relief valve on the oil pump. The pipes carrying oil to and from the engine carry no or negligible pressure, so you'd not have bursting pipes in case of high oil pressure anyway. A pressure reading above 5 bars (up to 7 bars with a cold start) almost always points to faulty instrumentation. Rotax advises a precautionary landing for low oil pressure, nothing for high oil pressure.

(Obviously there is a direct relation between high oil pressure and pucker factor, which is just something you have to live with.)
Learjet
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Learjet » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi mak,
I recently experienced the same and replaced the VDO on my 914 - apparently the Honeywell sensors are now made in China and are poorer quality - coincidentally a couple of us gyro owners found that the sensors started playing up not long after we switched oils from the old (discontinued) Shell Advance VSX to the replacement Shell Advanvce AX7. Coincidence?
Dave Lehr
Magni Gyro M22 ZU-EPZ
“You're flying Buzz! No Woody we're falling in style!”