Which Prop?

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
wiskeyfoxtrot
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Which Prop?

Postby wiskeyfoxtrot » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:48 am

WOW Guys,

All guns blazing !, very interesting debate. I have only ever flown with P PROP , so i am not in a position to comment as regards the other types. BUT, i have only ever had great service and happy flying hours from my "piece of plank " and would not change it for any other. Have had leading edge damage, but was repaired quickly & at a fair price. ( Hey oom Piet - some brownie points ? ). I think it all comes down to the preference of the pilot as to which type he/she likes.

Without a prop ( does not matter what kind ) you cant be up there enjoying the wind in your face and the thrill that very few people can even comprehend! xxx

Any fan is a good fan ! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Happy flying guys

Just my 2c

Later (!!)
" Excuse me while i kiss the sky "

Aeroprakt A22 Foxbat
ZU - DYE
Sport Cruiser
ZU - LSA
Kingfisher
Got my wings at last
Got my wings at last

Postby Kingfisher » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:26 am

Also reminds me of similar ideas in hunting magazines, which gun with which bullet and charge shoots what the best at what range etc........
We all have our likes and dislikes, and after all the freedom to choose what you think best.
Talking about it is what really makes life interresting, and triggers development.
pprop
Signed up at flight school

Postby pprop » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:12 pm

Propellers that have been represented in SA for longer than 5 years.

This is by far the most difficult decision that I had to make. Please read it through and ANY SANE SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOME!
Local made: – P PROP (Pieter de Necker), NC ( Nigel Coots), HM ( Hennie Malan), Geo Killey ( George Killey) thus 4 models in total.
Imported: - IVO, ARPLAST, WARP DRIVE, AERO PROP, SENSENICH, DUC, BOLLIE, KIEV, AEROSAIL, JABIRU, GT, WOODCOMP and BRENT THOMPSON thus 13 models - (so far) - in total.
Total number of propellers to be tested = 17 propellers (so far.)
PLEASE HELP ME IN LOCATING THE AGENTS FOR THE ABOVE PROPELLERS. THE REASON IS THAT WE SHALL NEED AT LEAST 2 FULL SETS OF EACH PROPELLER SINCE AT LEAST ONE OF THE TESTS SHALL LEAD TO TOTAL DESTRUCTION OF THE BLADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE AGENTS MUST PLEASE CONSIDER DONATING NEW PROPELLER SETS. WE CAN NOT HAVE ANY SANE, RELIABLE, BASED ON SCIENTIFIC PRINCIPALS AND METHODS RESULTS IN THE END IF WE DON’T TEST ALL THESE PROPELLERS REPRESENTED IN SA.

I am willing to venture R24 000.00 worth of propellers (3) of which I am willing to have at least 2 destroyed.

TESTING VENUE
1) Alanmack is graciously offering his engine for a test bed to test as many propellers as needed. He is also offering to publish the findings of the test. Well done!
2) The owners of Petit airfield must still be contacted for permission to use the field.

IN VIEW OF SAFETY – always!!
The condition of the test area should:-
1) Be at least 50 meters from any obstacle standing taller than 100mm
2) Be at least 99% horizontal.
3) The surface should preferably be flat smooth concrete of 5 meters x 5 meters. (To protect the guys involved from getting hit by flying debris).
4) A very sturdy support and safe tying down methods and strong points on the aircraft should be identified beforehand.
ADD YOUR SUGGESTIONS HERE GUYS!!

IN VIEW OF FAIRNESS AND ACCURACY = SCIENTIFIC METHODS
The condition of the aircraft
1) The engine should be tested beforehand by say ROTAX engines or GIDEON maybe, and then be certified to be putting out X amount of HP From say 6200 to 6600.
2) The wing should be “as factory approved” SUGGESTION:-Alanmack can approach Manfred Springer to maybe come out and see if the wing is set up correctly. I am sure Manfred would be just as interested in seeing what goes for what.
3) The tyres should be inflated to the suggested tyre pressure.
4) I suggest that no add on paraphernalia be present i.e. like – saddle bags, or any add on object that will result in constriction of airflow to the propeller – REMEMBER SHORT PROPELLERS WILL SUFFER FROM THIS EFFECT!!.
5) ADD YOUR SUGGESTIONS HERE GUYS!!

The envelope of a propeller
After sifting through theory, designs and myriads of parameters I have come up with the following suggestions on testing a propeller for SA conditions (in Africa)and in general the overall conditions of Microlight aircraft runways. Please guys any more testing parameters or suggestions will be welcome as long as it’s sane and scientific.

1) Durability = 2 Categories a) On the surface and b) in weather

a) At the least a propeller should be durable enough to withstand, or at the least stay intact a number of take off and landings on dirt runways (excluding accidents AND, aborted TAKE OFFS).
b) Should be able to withstand raindrops, and should at least stay intact when hail is encountered on the fringes of thunderclouds.
THE DURABILITY TEST.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY:- Fairly easy – could get complicated – will destroy the test propeller.
CATEGORY 1 : - On the surface.
Gentlemen this test will probably destroy the blades of the test propellers. The test, however, CAN NEVER BE SEPERATED FROM THE DESIGN ENVELOPE OF ANY PROPELLER EVER DESIGNED!

Aids to be present at the test site:-
At least 8½ cubic meters of RIVERSAND. The grain size should be from 3 mm up to and including 10 mm in diameter.
A JCB front end loader / tipper that can load ½ cubic meter of sand. An operator that cam control the bucket over a certain time period – say over 5 minutes.
The method is to slowly drop the river sand into the arc of the propeller while at full rpm. (I did this test with 5 cub. Meters of sand some 15 years ago – it blew the prop to hell and gone!) so ½ cube meter sand per set of propellers should represent a lifetimes worth of taxi and take offs on dirt runways.

CATEGORY 2:- Weather durability
Here I have no experience at all. I haven’t ever done such a test. However, TREVOR DAVIES ENCOUNTERED LIGHT RAIN SOME 25 YEARS AGO FLYING A WOOD PROPELLER THAT DID NOT HAVE A LEADING EDGE NOR CARBON FIBER OR GLASS FIBER. The time span he was flying in the light rain was from Midrand to Tarlton approx 30 minutes. About 10 % of the propeller disappeared from the leading edge on both blades. It’s the best equal sided removal of material from a propeller I have ever seen!
I then suggest that some type of device be made that will simulate raindrops – light rain – and that this device should spray these rain drops onto the turning propeller for about an hour. This hour should represent at least 20 times worth of encountering light rain – 3 minutes per encounter. Is this too much or is it too little

Centrifugal forces or “THE PULL” test.
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY:- VERY EASY – CAN NOT BECOME COMPLICATED EASILY – WILL DESTROY THE TEST PROPELLER.
Centrifugal forces on the blades or the effort it will take to pull a blade completely away from the hub in KG’s. When will the blades say TA-ta dearies?
An “A frame stand” with block and tackle that can withstand at least 10 000kgs pulling force..
At least 5000kg worth of sand in sandbags.
A scale that can measure the amount of sand needed - in Kg’s - to strip/ remove the blades from the hub.

Bending resistance or “ the resistance to deformation” test
This test is to determine the resistance of the blades to deform, contort, twisting and eventual failure of the blades (probably at the root).
DEGREE OF DIFFICULTY:- Very easy – can not become complicated easily – will most probably destroy the blade
A 3 meter length of robust metal tubing of say 100mm x 100mm square.
Sandbags in 10kg units.

Thrust testing.
Degree of difficulty: -Very difficult – can get complicated in seconds – will not destroy the propeller.
VERY, VERY EXPENSIVE TO DO IN A SCIENTIFIC MANNER!
VERY INTRICATE TO EXECUTE = THE CSIR WILL HAVE TO GET INVOLVED TO MAKE SENSE OF THIS TYPE OF TESTING
PLEASE READ THIS, GENTLEMEN OF THE FORUM, BEFORE JUDGING ANYONE OR ANY STATEMENT MADE BEFORE ON THIS SAME SITE!
DO YOU UNDERSTAND THIS CLEARLY?
YES = YOUR COMMENTS ARE WELCOME –
NO = GO PLAY SOMEWHERE ELSE PLEASE!

Static Thrust of Propellers
The thrust of a propeller is not constant for different flight speeds. Reducing the inflow velocity generally increases the thrust. A reduction of the aircraft speed down to zero tends to increase the thrust even further, but often a rapid loss of thrust can be observed in this regime.
That is why the static thrust of a propeller is not such a terribly important number for a propeller - the picture of a propeller, working under static conditions can be distorted and blurred.
As long as an aircraft does not move, its propeller operates under static conditions. There is no air moving towards the propeller due to the flight speed, the propeller creates its own inflow instead. A propeller, with its chord and twist distribution designed for the operating point under flight conditions, does not perform very well under static conditions. As opposed to a larger helicopter rotor, the flow around the relatively small propeller is heavily distorted and even may be partially separated. From the momentum theory of propellers we learn, that the efficiency at lower speeds is strongly dependent on the power loading (power per disk area), and this ratio for a propeller is much higher than that for a helicopter rotor. We are able to achieve about 80-90% of the thrust, as predicted by momentum theory for the design point, but we can reach only 50% or less of the predicted ideal thrust under static conditions.
Static thrust depends also on the inflow, influenced by the environment of the propeller (fuselage, crosswind, ground clearance). Measurements of static thrust can be easily done, but the theoretical treatment is very complicated and only possible with a lower degree of confidence than calculations in the vicinity of the design point. Due to local flow separation, the behavior of propellers under static conditions can be very sensitive with respect to blade angle settings and airfoil shape.
To get a picture of the bandwidth of static thrust, several older NACA reports and some publications from model magazines have been examined. The results are combined in the following graph.

Static thrust parameter (units are [(kg^(1/3)/m] versus blade angle for different propellers, having 2, 3, 4, 6, and 8 blades. Given power P and diameter D, an approximation of the thrust T can be calculated. The density of air has been set to 1.225 kg/m³ (for a description of the coefficients see: aerodynamic characteristics of propellers).
Of course, the real world static thrust depends on planform and blade angle of the blade and the generic graph gives you a rather wide band of results. One important aspect seems to be the observation of a critical blade angle around 25°. For increased angles, a large part of the blade seems to stall. This effect can be seen on some propellers for high speed model aircraft with large pitch values. After launching the model, it takes some time for the propeller to »catch on«, even when engine and exhaust system are properly tuned. For high static thrust values, a smaller number of blades seems to be better, because (for the same power consumption) they have a wider chord, creating a stronger circulation, being less prone to separation.
As the expression for the propulsive efficiency of a propeller breaks for the static case (the efficiency becomes zero), it makes more sense to use a simple figure of merit like "thrust per input power" if you are interested in static thrust only.
Remark: A hovering helicopter would have a very small blade angle (maybe 5°) resulting in large static thrust values.
Example: We have got two different propellers with a blade angle of 10° and 25° respectively. The first one has a diameter of D = 200 mm, the size of the second one is D = 300 mm. Which one would be better suited to build a VTOL aircraft model? How much thrust can we expect using an .60 engine of 2000 W (assuming a suitable gearbox)?
From the diagram above we read a static thrust parameter of 0.32 [kg^(1/3)/m], respectively 0.1 [kg^(1/3)/m] around the center of the blue band. To calculate the thrust we have to multiply these values with the power P [W] and the diameter D [m] to the power of 2/3. Performing the calculation for the first propeller (10° blade angle) yields T = 0.32*54.288 [N] and thus a static thrust of 17.4 N, whereas the second, larger propeller delivers 0.1*71.138 = 7.1 N only. Using the same engine in a helicopter with its large rotor of 1 m diameter and low pitch angles, would give us a lifting force of more than 55 N !
This example shows, that the diameter of a propeller is as important for static thrust, as it is under flight conditions. But, for static thrust the blade angle is also very important - probably even more important than for the design point, where a gearbox can match almost any propeller pitch and flight speed quite well.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Listen uncle.... when you are down close to the sea again (just down the drag from where I live now) lets have something stronger to drink! (^^)

Clearly there is absolutely nothing wrong with your grey matter.... :roll:
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
pprop

Postby pprop » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:59 pm

Dear John,
Thanks for the invite. Every year we go to Stilbaai because in 1993 we bought a small farm 8km outside of Stilbaai (from the bridge). So when we go down there again I 'would like to give you a call to play around with prop figures and sort the matter out over a strong one. I built a small log cottage there (8000 wood screws!) and have put up a small hangar in which there are beds a kitchen etc etc for family, friends and whoever wants to come and have a lekker holiday there. Nobody to worry you and the beach is 10 min away. Hell I wish I could get down to you guys more often,,, there is a much more type of forgiving people at the cape coast. I suppose the hate and defensive nature of Gauteng is injected into tone's spine and only gets released when one is in the vicinity of Mosselbaai, Albertinia and Stilbaai. I envy you so much I could kiss a Cape cobra open mouth to one day retire there. I would still design and make propellers and a slower pace... but then I will find the time to design the ULTIMATE propeller as close to the theory as possible....Please, if we are down ther come visit, sleep over, have a lekker roe vlakte tjoppei and wors ...Shit I am getting all nostalgic here!

I sure hope these gentlemen that read this forum reacts a little bit because it has gone deathly quiet and I really, really need some sensible input from some of these guys. Would you help encourage the shy guys to come out and play, John. It seems as if you are the only one left here that answers now and again.
Once more gentlemen of the forum - please read the thread and make some suggestions. No one has offered any propeller yet for testing . The tests will be absolut useless if you guys dont support it by means of equipment needed

Kind regards John,
Keep well,
Pieter and Bets (y wife)
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Pieter

It looks like a well thought out test regime. Might I suggest that the various strenght tests be carried out on the same prop as the one subjected to the "duribility" tests this will give a more real life strenght on a used prop (provided ofcourse the prop is still considered usable after the durability tests). This will mean you will also only destroy one prop.

In the light of the limitations of static thrust testing, what about a Rate of Climb test. I realise that this brings in a whole heap of safety considerations. But in the climb would be a props most critical area. VS is easy to measure. A test pilot should be able to similar flight profile for a max rate of climb. With all else being equal (weight, engine, pilot, wing) the VS will be directly related to the performance of the prop in the portion of the flight profile that is most crucial. Just a thought.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:20 pm

Kan julle nou asb vir Pieter uitlos. Ek het al begin Januarie 'n f p prop bestel en al die torque maak dat my f p prop nog steeds nie klaar is nie.
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:25 pm

can-of-worms.jpg
can-of-worms.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 2177 times
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:05 pm

Ducky... besides opening a can of worms.... it is a natural source of protein! (^^)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:39 pm

John Boucher wrote:Ducky... besides opening a can of worms.... it is a natural source of protein! (^^)
And John

they are very fresh aswell :twisted: :twisted:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
pprop

Postby pprop » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:16 pm

Good evening Gentlemen,

To Biggles: Very good thanks - your suggestion is most welcome and reasonable and should be included in the range of tests. Is it possible that you would be willing to do this one aspect of the test?

I've had no luck or help or any PM messages offering help to run this series of tests Not at all!! Please gentlemen there are very good 3 blade propellers around so show your support for your particular 3 blade model in a positive manner - donate some blades for the tests!

Come on guys, its one thing to claim what your prop can do compared to figures based on well founded tests laying on the table of a whole range of propellers.

Alanmack has touched a valid point - however comparing 2 propellers when there are about 17 different models represented in SA is useless. If ANYBODY knows Hennie Malan and could ask him for some test propellers that would be great! Any friend of Nigel Coots please beg him to join in and offer up some blades as well. I don't know who sells the Aeroprop but maybe that agent will be willing to add a blade or 3.
Any instructor that are in good standing with SOLO WINGS - guys ask them what propeller they are using and if they are willing to part with 3 blades!

There are 2 editors of flying magazines very interested in these tests - but I wonder how much $$$$ they are willing to contribute?

Keep well Gentlemen,
Piet and Bets de Necker
Biggles
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Biggles » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Unfortunately I am in Cape Town so abit far from the action.

If the tests are in Cape Town i will supply microlight and aeros prop (for none destructive testing). I would not feel comfortable flying these tests as its really the relm of an instructor.

Maybe if you droppped the destructive testing off the list there would be more interest. Only the manufacturers can gain from this type of testing.
Trike pilot

Aerotrike Scout
ZU-DNP
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:34 am

pprop wrote:I've had no luck or help or any PM messages offering help to run this series of tests Not at all!!
I saw it coming Pieter. After your post detailing all those technical aspects of the tests (**)
Now you know why I posted the pic vhpy
Die res het koue voete gekry.....hulle gatte lam geskrik......... :shock: :shock:
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:21 am

I concur Duckie...

I think the mere thought of the financial implication as well as destroying a perfectly functional and usable prop sends shivers down one's spine. I take my hat off to Pieter on competing in a very competitive market driven by some serious corporates!

What do they say.... Local is Lekker!

Think about it... the Chinese come and "rape" our seas because their fish really tastes kak and not even to mention the Abalone!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
Dirk van Dort
First solo

Postby Dirk van Dort » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm not an expert or technical guru, but the following is our hands-on experience.
At our airfield we have the following Bantams.
80 HP 4 cyl with P.Prop
85HP 4 cyl with Brent Thomson prop
120 HP 6 cyl with Brent Thompson prop

We noticed that the 4 cyl with P.Prop had an exceptional rate of climb. His max RPM was 3200. The 4 cyl with Brent Thompson could only manage 2850 rpm. In level flight, throttles opened simultaneously, the P.Prop outperformed the Brent Thompson, pulling easily away.

Today, I, with my 120 hp big six and Brent Thompson prop, max revs 2850 rpm met up with a big six from a neighbouring town, fitted with a P.Prop, and in level formation flight, we opened up. He gets 3000rpm and pulled away from me as if i had stalled.
I cannot comment on all the technical data and specifics, but these two tests tell me that i would rather have a P.Prop on my plane, and will shortly be making arrangements to have one fitted. Well done Pieter de Necker, local is lekker, and i think you can teach the All Black a lesson.
EZI does it.
Dirk
ZU-EZI