Leaded or unleaded...

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby IFLYHI » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:39 am

I use TTS and Royal Purple racing
:shock: Do you mix and match :?: I thought the one is mineral and RP is synthetic
No it does not glide- it FLIES
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:09 am

I have been watching this for a while, i have normally used Castrol super TTS and it has been fine for me :? - Although i have not opened my motor yet :shock:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby IFLYHI » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:44 pm

kb wrote:
Slurp wrote:I use TTS and Royal Purple racing. -xX
Is TTS the same as Castrol Super TT 2 stroke. (in the grey bottle with turquoise label) and if not, anyone got any comments ont the Castrol Super TT???
Just spoke to Castrol technical:
Super TT is not made any more :cry:
They basicaly only have 2 2-stroke oils on SA market- TTS and 2T
TTS the official Rotax approved 2 stroke oil its synthetic and expensive :evil:
2T is mineral based and cheap :lol: but you use this as your own little "experiment" :(

Spoke to Trevor Davies when he overalled my 582, judging from the amount of old cranks he has, he knows a thing or two about Rotax.
He recons mineral oil is good enough as the recon time for Rotax 582 is only 300 hrs, if they were to extend this to say 500hrs it will be worth putting the TTS oil in to help with protection for the additional time :o
No it does not glide- it FLIES
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Oils

Postby alan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:02 pm

Used Castrol TTS synthetic because it was expensive and recommended on a 582. Had a small end bearing go at 200 hours. The fuel gauge float was badly corroded as well as the plated drain plug. Living close to the coast I have now switched to Castrol Super Outboard. Bit more carbon but a lot easier to clean than replacing bearings/trike or heart failure :shock:
Also changed to a 503 :wink:
Waiting for the wind to stop
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:55 pm

Also changed to a 503
A bit OTT but why did you change??
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Leaded fuel

Postby alan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:37 am

Griffin
The original plan was to have a 582 because I do a lot of low level flying in steep mountainous terrein doing game census. After the engine out I started asking around and heard many stories about the unreliability of the 582's but how bullet proof the 503's are. I have now bought a Windlass with 503 which is much lighter and climbs and is just as manouverable as the Aquilla was with the 582. Also a cheaper to run :lol:
Our altitude is mostly 2000' asl so don't need the bigger engine :wink:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Oils

Postby Morph » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:38 am

alan wrote:Living close to the coast I have now switched to Castrol Super Outboard. Bit more carbon but a lot easier to clean than replacing bearings/trike or heart failure :shock:
Also changed to a 503 :wink:
Alan, my plane only ever used Castrol Super Outboard and is a 503. After long investigations it was recommended that rather switch to the Castrol Super Chainsaw as the Super Outboard is intended for water-cooled and not air-cooled engines.
Greg Perkins
alan
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Unleaded fuels

Postby alan » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:06 am

Hi Morpheus

I have never used chainsaw oil so cannot comment. Most of the people around here use super outboard with good results and some use the cheapest available. One person uses TTS still but further inland and does not seem to have a problem. What would the problems be using outboard in an aircooled engine :?: