Part 24, Doing your own maintenance

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Part 24, Doing your own maintenance

Postby lamercyfly » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:07 pm

skybound, hi. I don't get it? Why all the cheers and smiley faces? Are you being sarcastic? I sure hope so, cause this is a huge step backwards... what happened to all the talk and promises of owners of trikes being allowed to do basic line maintenance like clean airfilters, change spark plugs and fuel filters etc., etc., What about trike pilots on farms far away from an AP who could in the past perform their maintenance under supervision... now it has to be DUAL INSPECTED!!! WTF!!!

And have the new CAR's being signed in by the minister? I know that there was a concerted effort from many quarters to prevent them from being signed..
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Karman
First solo

Postby Karman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:22 pm

I don't see anything when this "dual'" check suppose to happen, it simply states peformance a dual check on the maintanance which WAS carried out. for me as layman, that just mean some time in the future... like next ATF..

my 0.02 cents worth

L:
Karman
First solo

Postby Karman » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Otherwise, speak to Raasa/misasa (or which ever controlling body as per terms of part 149) to simply approve any trike/lsa pilot as approved person.. the regulations state that the designated body for that craft can issue it...... Dunno if that will happen, but worth a try, easier to fight them that SaCAA i thinks. (see heading (a) above)
skybound®
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby skybound® » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi David

Is your cup half empty :wink: vhpy

I think the regs are okay now - and the maintenance can be done by the owner and dual checked by the AP. If you went back to pre part 24 days - this was the practice anyhow? AP would check what you have done and then sign out the annual inspection.

There is no timing stipulated, reasonably the dual check could be signed off at the annual inspection or shorter periods if you so choose. It is not prescriptive as to the timing - as long as it is done and my take is that it will only be 'checked' for compliance at ATF time when you are required to submit the last few pages off the aircraft logbook. There is no longer mention of supervision - so only if the AP has a reasonable concern, could he refuse to co-sign.

<<Edit>>
The regs were promulgated (signed) last Friday and become effective 1 Aug 2012. There was quite a number of regs replaced/re-promulgated - it almost looks like a total re-issue of the CARS - so worth taking a read. Some other issues coming out too - like 'on condition' replacement of parts for NTCA as opposed to strict manufacturers scheduled replacement. More discussion here:
http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=96409
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:07 pm

Sorry to pee on your battery.............
Karman wrote:Otherwise, speak to Raasa/misasa (or which ever controlling body as per terms of part 149) to simply approve any trike/lsa pilot as approved person..
It's not as "simple" as you think. Raasa/Misasa can't appoint you as an AP. The "controlling body" as you put it, in terms of part 149, is in this case the AeCSA and you will have had to have passed the theoretical exam set by the AP Technical Committee.
the regulations state that the designated body for that craft can issue it
It's the Organisation designated for the purpose of appointing an AP, not the designated body for the craft.......

An Approved Person is a person who has been authorised by the Commissioner or the organisation approved for the purpose in terms of Part 149, which in this case is the AeCSA Approved Person Scheme, to carry out maintenance on a NTCA aircraft in compliance with the applicable aircraft maintenance schedule, and includes the owner of an amateur-built or production-built aircraft that has been built by such owner AND for which an ATF has been obtained, in accordance with the provisions of Part 24.
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
Karman
First solo

Postby Karman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:31 pm

Duck Rogers wrote:Sorry to pee on your battery.............
Ja, that was really not necesarry (**)
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Sorry man...if you gotta go, you gotta go.. :oops:
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
tka
Ready for the first flight

Postby tka » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Karman wrote:I don't see anything when this "dual'" check suppose to happen, it simply states peformance a dual check on the maintanance which WAS carried out. for me as layman, that just mean some time in the future... like next ATF..

my 0.02 cents worth

L:
I would think that the dual check is required to ensure flight safety. So logic tells me (based on my experience in professional aviation) that it will be required before before the next flight.
dries5
Heard about flying

Postby dries5 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 am

Hi guys, sorry to be a pain in the royal behind again but I just need some clarification on this subject. I have read all the posts but still can't get a clear answer from all the part 14, 24, 149 and whatnot's.
On a normal annual, 25 hours service and required ATF, may the owner of the microlight sign off the paperwork or not? I cannot see the reason that only AP's may sign off the documents as I know some of them are just there to rip your heart out and cost you a lot of money? Trust me, some of them charge you a LOT of money for a signature! Heaven forbid if they do "maintenance" - been there, got the T-shirt .......and had to sell it to put bread on my table for my family!
Any clear answer?
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:30 pm

http://www.raasa.co.za/ . The laws changed considerably. See the new Part 44 regarding maintenance of NTCA aircraft. You may do maintenance on your plane under supervision but you cannot sign your logbook or the inspection, the AP has to double check your work and then sign the plane out. The AP charges you money for his expertise, if he is a rip off then change AP's but normally the old saying that if you pay peanuts ....holds true. A good AP is worth every sent. You only have 1 life.

Fly safe.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success