Trike Advice needed

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
parraglider
Looking at the sky

Trike Advice needed

Postby parraglider » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi All, i've been lurking on avcom for 2 years but only joined you guys today, mainly for the following reasons:

I lost my PPL a few years back when i did my CPL medical, so flying is out for me.
My son is almost ready to start flying training and i was thinking that he could start on a MPL and when he gets it i can fly with him! He is talking about pursuing a career in flying.

A guy that i met recently is selling his windlass trike as he feels he is too old to fly. He has rebuilt the trike (after a prang) but has not flown it since the rebuild. What i would like to know from the guys in the know is what i should look out for when thinking about buying the trike, things such as hours on the engine, what engine, ATF issues, etc. He does not want much for it but i do not want to buy a dud. I have been browsing the for sale section and noticed quite a few trikes for sale, from R25000.00 upwards. What i do not want is to get this trike at a bargain only to find out that it needs major work done or new engine or or or.....then i might as well fork out R70k + to get one that is ready to fly...

I will be seeing the trike on monday

Please if someone out there can advise me which way to go, I'll appreciate your comments and advice

Thanks
N
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Trike Advice needed

Postby Wargames » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:40 pm

Welcome to microlighters. Hope this isn't the first and last post.

Best advice I can give you is to get ap of your choice and pay him to check the aircraft just as he would he would go and do an ap. Let him start engine and check telemetry. If he dont clear aircraft, you will have options available and go forward from there.

Even if we give you the best advice, you can still miss hidden faults, due to inexperience on type.

Regards,
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:11 pm

Parraglider,

I would insist on allowing you to arrange the plane being checked over and then test flown by an AP.

Try build that into the price before you go any furtherm but I would do it even if it cost me R500.00
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
C205
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby C205 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:16 am

Make sure log books and documentation accompany the plane and are up to date. The absence of log books could cost you dearly.
Quicksilver MXII ZS-VAP
Quicksilver MXII ZU-BOW
FAWI 123.5
Arnulf
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Arnulf » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:43 pm

parraglider wrote:Hi All, i've been lurking on avcom for 2 years but only joined you guys today, mainly for the following reasons:

I lost my PPL a few years back when i did my CPL medical, so flying is out for me.
My son is almost ready to start flying training and i was thinking that he could start on a MPL and when he gets it i can fly with him! He is talking about pursuing a career in flying.
A guy that i met recently is selling his windlass trike as he feels he is too old to fly. He has rebuilt the trike (after a prang) but has not flown it since the rebuild. What i would like to know from the guys in the know is what i should look out for when thinking about buying the trike, things such as hours on the engine, what engine, ATF issues, etc. He does not want much for it but i do not want to buy a dud. I have been browsing the for sale section and noticed quite a few trikes for sale, from R25000.00 upwards. What i do not want is to get this trike at a bargain only to find out that it needs major work done or new engine or or or.....then i might as well fork out R70k + to get one that is ready to fly...

I will be seeing the trike on monday

Please if someone out there can advise me which way to go, I'll appreciate your comments and advice

Thanks
N
Be aware that the hours accumulated flying a trike will not count towards a commercial licence.

Regards,
Arnulf
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Arnulf wrote:Be aware that the hours accumulated flying a trike will not count towards a commercial licence.

Regards,
Arnulf
If you have 20 or more hours on a trike, or any microlight class aircraft, you will be credited for 10 hours towards ppl and cpl. ie 35 for ppl and 190 for cpl.

Regards,
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
parraglider
Looking at the sky

Postby parraglider » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:13 pm

Guys, thanks for all the info so far, how old (young) does my son have to be to start flying lessons and go solo and at what age can he obtain his MPL ?
He's turning 15 in december

Regards

PS had a look at the trike, looks pretty good but needs AP to check it over, i will see the logs tomorrow
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:41 pm

parraglider wrote:Guys, thanks for all the info so far, how old (young) does my son have to be to start flying lessons and go solo and at what age can he obtain his MPL ?
He's turning 15 in december

Regards

PS had a look at the trike, looks pretty good but needs AP to check it over, i will see the logs tomorrow

SPL 16 years
MPL 17 years

Regards,
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"