Prop cut back

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Prop cut back

Postby vernon11 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:18 pm

Hallo Boet.
I did as you suggested, and cut back the prop exactly 12mm at the tips. It has made no difference at all. Still 5100rpm. Will wait to fly to see if any improvements.
Cheers.
Vernon.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Oi shite sire, methinks praps the enjaai he is trying to tell us something??
1 Is the petrol filters clean
2 Is the air filters clean?
3 When last have the carb sincronization been checked?
4 Is the carburators clean?
5 Spark plugs.
6 Is the throttle opening all de way?............
:shock:
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:51 pm

Carbs done a couple of month ago by Andre Martens.
Fuel filter and air filters new.
Spark plugs 100%
Throttle fully open.

Have not yet tried in flight. Will have my coversion soon. (I HOPE)

You will be famillier with her. BBO.
Cheers,
Vernon.

P.S. I will try and find out how to post a pic. Computors and I dont get on too well.
powerfly
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby powerfly » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:54 pm

What gear box do you have?
Noel McDonogh
World of Wings Flight School
Umkomaas Airfield
info@wowflight.co.za
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:07 pm

Hi Vernon.

Where is the beginning of this post?

If you used to get higher RPM with this motor and propellor, then one of the problems that can sneak in is that your choke piston rubbers are worn and a small amount of fuel is leaking past your choke piston. This causes quite a loss of RPM, usually anything from 100 to 500 RPM with enricher fully open. Can also be that the choke cables are not fully releasing in the off position...check by pulling up the choke rubber covers and see if there is play....there should be about 3 mm of vertical play. If no play at all, then there is another problem. Set the adjuster nuts to give you the necessary play.

Did this problem manifest directly after the carb overhaul?

Cheers.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:00 pm

lamercyfly wrote:Hi Vernon.

Where is the beginning of this post?

If you used to get higher RPM with this motor and propellor, then one of the problems that can sneak in is that your choke piston rubbers are worn and a small amount of fuel is leaking past your choke piston. This causes quite a loss of RPM, usually anything from 100 to 500 RPM with enricher fully open. Can also be that the choke cables are not fully releasing in the off position...check by pulling up the choke rubber covers and see if there is play....there should be about 3 mm of vertical play. If no play at all, then there is another problem. Set the adjuster nuts to give you the necessary play.

Did this problem manifest directly after the carb overhaul?

Cheers.
:shock: Jislaaik Dave, am I missing something here? Are you not perhaps confusing this post with an earlier one by Massimo regarding the rpm loss after a decoke in December. See this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=6457
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi Dave.
we have only had the plane about 6 months, but have had and doing a lot of work on it. so have not been able to do much flying. The prop is def over pitched. Apparently Beyers coetzee fitted it. He said that it was the case. I dont have a problem with the prop as such. It is just that I need to beable to take off comfortably 150mtrs. It is for my son in law to beable to commute to mount pleasant. That is near The Haven. He is busy building a short runway. Named Mount pleasant International.

Regards
Vernon.
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Hi Dave.
we have only had the plane about 6 months, but have had and doing a lot of work on it. so have not been able to do much flying. The prop is def over pitched. Apparently Beyers coetzee fitted it. He said that it was the case. I dont have a problem with the prop as such. It is just that I need to beable to take off comfortably 150mtrs. It is for my son in law to beable to commute to mount pleasant. That is near The Haven. He is busy building a short runway. Named Mount pleasant International.

Regards
Vernon.