Rotex 912 ULS TBO

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
VFR
Pre flight checks done

Rotex 912 ULS TBO

Postby VFR » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:29 pm

I would like to ask on this forum and to use a certain TBO that falls in the 1500 hour / 12 years TBO, what is
the situation when an engine comes up with it's 12 years and say less than 300 hours. Why must it be overhauled?
Some owners do not fly much and are now stuck with costs that will keep them grounded.
DaveM
Ready for the first flight

Re: Rotex 912 ULS TBO

Postby DaveM » Fri May 22, 2015 6:47 pm

does anyone know the answer to this question I would like to know as well, saw this on the other forum today http://www.avcom.co.za/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 2#p1597161
Dobbs
Survived second engine out

Postby Dobbs » Sun May 24, 2015 11:52 am

If you go back to the Avcom thread, you will see that Stefan has answered the questions.
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Sun May 24, 2015 9:17 pm

I did a complete service on my wife`s 912UL this morning. The engine did a tad over 400 hrs, and spins like a sewing machine. Pressures,temps, oil consumtion and compression is still all within limits. I replaced all rubber components recently. ( The air filters gets cleaned AND OILED regular as clockwork.) We have to look after this engine as we do not have money to replace it. It would be a crying shame to muck around with an engine that runs this perfect. We get extremely pissed off when someone else is trying to waste our money for us. Thanks Stefan for shedding some light in this dark tunnel.
We used to own a PA 28 161, many years ago, but we got fed up with all the costs FORCED down or throats by the beurocracy. So we got rid of the `ferkin thang, and was glad to see it go. THAT is the reason why I went over to NTCA, those days the so-called "Document LS1 aeroplanes. Now this. The train will start emptying at a rapid rate if they enforce this balderdash in any way. This is exactly the type of nonsense that all but killed the light aircraft industry in the USA. Laywers. .......you just gotta love `em. :evil:
Nacho

Postby Nacho » Mon May 25, 2015 8:24 am

This is what people don't get. Rotax is an amazing engine and no one disputes this. The problem is, we fly Microlight as we don't have the money to fly choppers, Gyros etc etc. We do this as we need to get our asses in the air in the most affordable way. Or this goes for me anyway. The microlight industry is being killed by Rotax and the ridiculous pricing. People rather give up flying and sell their aircrafts for stupid low prices as they simply can't afford to fly anymore. On top of this you get RAASA. Yearly fees, club fees. You need to pay hangrage which is hard to find and extremely expensive. Microligting is not a sport that can easily be undertaken without spending a fortune.

My question is. Why on earth hasn't the skills of the people in this industry not been used to get alternatives in the market? I have a price list in front of me now, where you can get a 115HP engine for US$8395, excluding import taxes and shipping. a 64HP machine for US$6696. These motors comes standard with gearboxes and even engine mounts. Yes we will have to do some minor modifications and some flying solo till the prove flights has been done, but that is it. We have an alternative and we can get this sport going again. These engines has many 1000's of hours in Europe, why are us South Africans to scared to do this. We can most probably do it better than any of those guys anyway.

The new shortblock I need for my 912 is ...R141 000-00 excluding any labour. This means it will most probably cost me +- R170 000-00 to get my engine sorted in the next 100 hours... I don't know about you, but I can not afford this. So I am seriously looking for alternatives.

It is time we stand together, make a stance and get out of the Rattax endless pit that sucks money out us us. I will be the 1st to do a conversion like this on my trike.

To the guys that makes this sport not affordable anymore... never bite the hand that feeds. It is just a matter of time.... ##
WvB aka Nacho
wvbosch@gmail.com
ZU-FFS (-)