Axillary Fuel Pump Aquilla 582 Blue Top

Technical questions, advice, sharing information etc (aircraft, engines, instruments, weather and such)
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Axillary Fuel Pump Aquilla 582 Blue Top

Postby WhiteEagle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:32 am

Hi All,
Any suggestions on what type of pump I can fit?
"Good judgement usually comes from experience. Experience usually comes from bad judgement."
Station Kariba
First solo

Re: Axillary Fuel Pump Aquilla 582 Blue Top

Postby Station Kariba » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:16 pm

WhiteEagle

I have installed a Facet electric pump, on both my planes and they work well. I plumbed the pump in series. You can be buy these pumps from Auto Zone, Midas or any similar spares outlet. Good luck. (^^)
Graham Galloway
Z-RUM
Z-TOC
Z-HAY
Dunesand
First solo

Postby Dunesand » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:47 pm

This is someone else's post from a few years back - I just copy'd and paste'd it here for you. Installation worked great for me.

Just bought a FACET pump thought you guys may want the fitting destructions
First Specs:
on the box number is 40105 alternate number is 40242.
on the pump number is EFP-3 other side 50104 and 051805.
12volts and 1.5-4PSI.

Installation(negative ground system only)
1.Select mounting location.A clean section of the frame away from an area susceptible to damage, exhaust systems, and must be within (12) vertical inches from the fuel tank (bottom).
2.Position the pump in an upward direction at 45degrees away from the tank. Mark and drill 2 x 7/32 inch holes into the frame aligned to the mounting bracket.(probably better to use the 60mm stainless steel u-bolt for airys)
3.Fix the pump to the frame using 1/4 inch selftapping hex head screws, or nylocks and washers for 60mm u-bolt.Capture the black(neg) wire to the 2nd screw,CAUTION: if using the u-bolt make sure its making contact, probably wont due to paint rather find a better place for the neg wire where you are sure its making contact.
4.Install the fuel filter 74micron (diesel filter for mix fuel) on the INLET reconnect fuel line and clean up spilled fuel.
5.Connect the Red (positive) power lead to the ignition switch voltage supply terminal (include a inline fuse 10AMP?).(a seperate on/off switch can be placed in line)
6.Reconnect the battery terminals.
7.Turn ignition switch to ON and start engine.
Observe the pump is operating by hearing a vibrating sound from it, check fuel lines for leaks.

I hope it helps you all out
I have one question is it best to wire it up this way or is to the battery or alternate power line(lights) better? (Id rather avoid messing with the ignition wires although i heard that if you cut all ignition wires the engine keeps running
WhiteEagle
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby WhiteEagle » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:00 pm

Thank you all,
My main concern was enjin outs due to fuel pump failure. Have spoken to a VERY clued up person regarding Rotax fuel pumps. He assured me that he never heard of a enjin out due to the pump itself that failed, but the short hose that is connected from the crank casing to the pump that leaks air, which in turn leads to the reed valves not giving a puls to the diaphram anymore. He also worked on many fuel pumps and told me that the diaphrams are, even up to a 1000 hours, almost alway as good as new, but is wise to replace them then. These hoses on the other hand, must be replaced annually if normal Midas type hoses. Apparently if you fit a auxillary pump, it must have a return valve not to let excess fuel enter the system, otherwise it makes the airy very thirsty if you use both pumps continuously. This made me thought - if my 2-stroke auto lube, will this damage the enjin as there is excess fuel or does the auto lube compensate? Do you only fit an auxillary pump when it is a 4-stroke or if premix fuel is used? If I have an enjin out, is there time enough to figure out that it was in fact the pump, and then restart with the auxillary pump, or do I look for a nice landing spot? From what I've learned the latter. So now between a rock and a hard place.
"Good judgement usually comes from experience. Experience usually comes from bad judgement."
Station Kariba
First solo

Postby Station Kariba » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:23 pm

Hi WhiteEagle

The advise you have been given with regards to the pulse pump it correct, they are very reliable and very seldom give problems. From a safety point of view there is absolutly no harm in fitting an Auxillary FACET electric pump. You do not run the two pumps continously all the same time. With the Electric pump you would prime your carbs for about 30 to 45 seconds prior to intial start up and then switch the electric pump OFF. This pump has a built in one way, non return valve, so the fuel cannot run back to tank. This will deffinately have no effect on the fuel consumption of your aircraft. It will not effect the Auot lube system either. The amount of fuel entering the carbs is controlled. The fitting of an auxillary electric bak up pump is excately what is says, a back up pump. This can be switched on in flight should you encounter any starvation or fuel related issues. Is is a safety mechanism and will have absolutely no effect on the fuel or operating performance of your plane. Hope this helps, just my 2 cents worth. ($$) (^^)
Graham Galloway
Z-RUM
Z-TOC
Z-HAY