My first lesson

Matters of general interest
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:40 pm

DarkHelmet wrote:Hey DieselFan - Congrats! I have honestly been waiting for your reportback since you posted about it Monday!

The radio is a bit intimidating at first but you honestly get used to it - I can even talk to pax and still listen in on the chatter now...
Cool thanks, for all the motivational words expressed by all. I haven't done a stich of work the whole day :lol:, and still can't believe I ACTUALLY flew, not some ol PAX, but ME. It was amazing, awesome, great and one I seriously doubt I will ever forget.

I'm so ever temped to cash in the christmas bonus and just do it all...need to save need to save. Suck thing is my GF started a new job and won't get one, so I've got to pay for the holiday :?. Another 6 daysish :D A comment from the guys at work is that I was on ZOL.
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:41 pm

Well done DieselFan, keep us posted on your progress.

Looks like you had a severe bout of sensory overload; so many new experiences all happening to you at the same time.

During the first few lessons, my instructor actually told me to experience the flying of the microlight. He took care of the radio and looking out for other traffic etc etc.. these other (also important) things then get added on to you as you progress. But yes, early days - bit of a blur :!:
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:52 pm

:roll: Another thing :roll: , I won't have one instructor, apparently they found better results by rotating between them? Atleast next lesson I'll sit in front 8)
Last edited by DieselFan on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:58 pm

DieselFan wrote:Another thing :roll: :roll: , I won't have one instructor, apparently they found better results by rotating between them? Atleast next lesson I'll sit in front 8)
Absolutely, different instructors have different personalities, and how they interact with another person does vary, they may have certain ways of training and passing on the knowledge and the skill. If your school has several instructors (not all do) then they've already got this figured.

Enjoy..
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

My first lesson

Postby Leprachaun » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:48 pm

Hi Diesal fan , sounds great, I must say I enjoy the chirping from all -
The radio may be intimidating at first , but ya will get used to it .
I spent the odd R50,00 for my student for a CD from Wouter @Microland and since then the studento speaks in the mike just like an old pro - If ya want a copy can get ya one . The CD is recordings made and conversations between plane, tower and others .
Kind regards May the Leprachauns protect ya !!!
Dont ever call em little green men !!! :roll: :lol:
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: My first lesson

Postby Morph » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:04 pm

Leprachaun wrote:Hi Diesal fan , sounds great, I must say I enjoy the chirping from all -
The radio may be intimidating at first , but ya will get used to it .
I spent the odd R50,00 for my student for a CD from Wouter @Microland and since then the studento speaks in the mike just like an old pro - If ya want a copy can get ya one . The CD is recordings made and conversations between plane, tower and others .
Kind regards May the Leprachauns protect ya !!!
Dont ever call em little green men !!! :roll: :lol:
Hey green midget (that's not little green men is it :?: ) how can we get these CD's from you/Wouter@2Microland? Who do we call? :wink: :D
Greg Perkins
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:11 pm

Morpheus wrote: Who do we call? :wink: :D
I think you call the Ghost Busters :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:25 pm

Tailspin wrote:
:lol: :lol: u can c it's a friday , here's the number

Tel: (011) 964 1112
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:28 pm

Tailspin wrote:
No, Boland, Boland Bank!!!!!
Greg Perkins
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

my first flight

Postby Leprachaun » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:07 am

Come now Guys , the Leprachauns out there have done a great job, protecting ya all , I have just spoken to Wouter who has no problem in letting ya have a copy or two of the CD - I will arrange to deliver in Samrand where I work - Can mail to you but take note these things walk out of post boxes - even the Leprachauns cant protect ya there .
Call me , emailme etc ya can even visit me , the chareg is R50,00 per Cd with R40 , to the childrens home the rest to printing and purchasing of Cds etc .Kind regards Ya know who , and its not Boland Bank!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 am

2nd flight today and no sleep again (**) had to get up at 04h30 (**)

Needless to say I got to sit upfront :D :D :D, there were also NO black widows at the entrance - is that a good thing? :shock:

It was rather windy, seemed more windy than last week but not half as gusty, so I could actually get some real feeling for the trike. The one wind sock was tied around the pole - one comment was they tied it up cause all the guys kept looking at it :lol:

I must have had the Leprachauns protecting me as during preflight inspection I picked up that the fuel cap was only hanging on by half a thread. To be honest I thought the instructor did it do trick me, I later found out, that was not the case.

Taxying was fun esp at high speed - who needs a go kart? I never thought that grass would cause so much friction :shock:, even at 3500rpm the trike just barely moved, whereas I was able to hold 1800rpm on the dirt.

After takeoff, it took a while to realise that I don't need to be superman to control the trike and that I could just relax and coax it left / right. IMHO you need to be stronger on the ground than in air.

I now also know the name of the tower I've been flying towards (Bapsfontein tower). I still think though that if it weren't for the instructor and I was able to land and takeoff perfectly I would still not be able to fly, as I'd get lost VERY quickly. One mielie field looks the same as the next. "You see that section of trees", well I saw many sections of trees :roll: I might as well have been told to go fly towards the female leaf.

My next lesson I will be flying to Bronkhorstpruit dam for some water skiing and pretty much just have fun gaining more experience on what I've supposedly learnt thus far. Personally I think the Leprachauns did all the flying.

What a superb day to fly :!: I so wish I could trash my job and fly permanently 8) - Why did God give us legs :!: :?:
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:14 am

DieselFan wrote:Why did God give us legs :!: :?:
Throttle and brake.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:19 am

Diesel wrote
Why did God give us legs
To control the throttle Diesel!

I was up there this morning again too. 10kt wind from the North but as you say it was constant and not gusty. Did you guys go above cloud? We did - Pretty awesome view from up there (PS: Don't try this if there aren't enough "holes" in the cloud to enter and exit. Apparantly things get a little white and scary if you fly in cloud)

My mate Ferdie did his Flight test this morning with Alan Pilz and now has his wings - I am jealous!!!

Keep us posted on your progression Diesel - And keep the good work up with pre-flight inspection

Easy way to remember: 3C's 3P's 3W's I & R

Clips (11 on Safari)
Caps (Fuel etc)
Chokes (Off)

Pax (Helmets fastened, seatbelts, saddle bags closed)
Power (Magneto check)
Petrol (Enough)

Wing (Full and free movement, zips closed etc)
Wheels (All there and inflated and fastened)
Windsock

Instruments (Altimeter set etc)
Radio - Radio check + call
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Me first lesson

Postby Leprachaun » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:19 am

Top of the morning to ya all , :lol:
See ya all, I told ya, the Leprachauns do protect ya !!
Had a good flight this morning as well , my pax a first time green thorn enjoyed it as well , when we back om them ground the knees were a bit wobbly and nearly did she hearl , too much too quick but enjoyed it after all , The Leprachauns protected us as well , imagine hearling over them air filters in flight - them Rotax guys would surely protest about that kind of abuse . enjoy the day let the Leprachauns protect ya all .
Anyone else have a spot of bad luck with them oils tank tops , I know of at least 6 the last month that have cracked ??? :shock:
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:27 am

Big D wrote:Diesel wrote
Why did God give us legs
To control the throttle Diesel!
Then all we needed were feet :wink:
Big D wrote: Did you guys go above cloud?
Ah man no :(, that makes me jealous
Big D wrote:
My mate Ferdie did his Flight test this morning with Alan Pilz and now has his wings - I am jealous!!!
And even more jealous. Thanks for the inspection tips. Never knew you flew a Safari? I fly an Aquilla 582. What would the diffs be between them?