My first lesson

Matters of general interest
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Re: My first lesson

Postby John Young » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:25 pm

DieselFan wrote:Can't wait just got back from a conference at Sun City and almost forgot my 1st lesson is on Thursday 3rd
Good luck for tomorrow DieselFan - enjoy !! Will watch this post for your comments.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:11 pm

0x3 or 3x0????

Enjoy it DF... :wink:
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:26 pm

This is the fun stage....
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:53 am

Hi All

Firstly sorry for long post but I'm sure you will all understand.

Just got back, and well how was it?? Was somewhat ok, I wasn't too impressed when the instructor said I must take off and land solo, but it went well and I managed, he guided me on the radio :D :D :D :D

Ok now for the truth, it was AWESOME and bloody windy, I don't remember feeling quite as nervous on take off in the past (perhaps age :D - I now realise what I'm doing).

I tried to get an early night as I've been working till 02h00 each night this week sofar and up at 07h00...ended up being 00h15 :( , got up at 05h00 to leave at 06h15 :roll: for flight at 07h30.

Got there at about 06h45 did the registering of my log book etc

Preflight took about 30 mins as I had quite a few questions :lol: and tried memorising all the pole names (I can now only rememeber one :oops: ). 2nd inspection (need to check the names :oops: ) - the one where you stop on the brick to 5-10 mins :lol:, ask less will be my next lesson. But in my defense thats because next week when I'm in the front seat and can actually see :roll:, I'll know what to do.

Eventually after takeoff and that stomach feeling, I settled down and tried to concentrate, tried the flying down a road thing and it went pretty well, but we had a strong crosswind and I ended up not seeing the target being a tower, as his helmet was in the way and it wouldn't help steering in that direction :) . He then showed me the boundries of the area and watch for boeings etc and he too noticed they break hard left :). Practiced flying within an area and again straight level flight at 6200 feet, which was challenging as I couldn't see the instruments...

Our landing was VERY bumpy and freaky as we decended at about 780ft/m and just before hitting the ground down to 500ft/m but at times it felt asif we were horizontal to the ground, thanks wind.

Otherwise a GREAT experience and I SO look forward to next week, once I've digested what actually happened. :D :) :o 8) :!: and oh the reg was ZU-DXE with 7 hours in total.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:57 am

Fantastic, now starts a wonderful adventure :D 8)
Greg Perkins
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:23 am

it was AWESOME and bloody windy
Diesel: I was up there this morning too about 5km from where you were flying - Reckon we were flying towards the same tower (North West from your airfield?) - Think I heard your instructor on frequency 125.4. Was a little bumpy, I agree, but learning to fly in wind is good cause one day the instructor is not there and a beatifull morning can become very windy very quickly and you need to know how to handle it.

Congrats on the first flight and enjoy it! :D
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:42 am

Big D wrote:
it was AWESOME and bloody windy
Diesel: I was up there this morning too about 5km from where you were flying - Reckon we were flying towards the same tower (North West from your airfield?) - Think I heard your instructor on frequency 125.4. Was a little bumpy, I agree, but learning to fly in wind is good cause one day the instructor is not there and a beatifull morning can become very windy very quickly and you need to know how to handle it.

Congrats on the first flight and enjoy it! :D
Don't talk north wests etc. with me yet :oops: , infact once I'd turned the ml to another direction I couldn't even find the tower that I'd just been heading towards :shock:. I'm not sure what frequency we were on, all I know is that we have to fly within a "fenced" in area and we changed freq when entering it, the map has all these big "RESTRICED" areas? Do they shoot you down when you go over it?

Little bumpy :shock:, oh dear. Although must admit at around 6300 it was ok, only below 6k did I feel nervous and probably had BIG eyes.

Perhaps I'll see you next week? I'm flying on Wednesday hopefully.
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Postby John Young » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:47 am

Otherwise a GREAT experience and I SO look forward to next week, once I've digested what actually happened.
Nice one DieselFan on your 1st 3X0. We knew you would enjoy it - don’t worry about “what actually happened”. I think Morpheus mentioned the “blurrrrrrr” factor. :?:
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:56 am

I'm not sure what frequency we were on, all I know is that we have to fly within a "fenced" in area and we changed freq when entering it, the map has all these big "RESTRICED" areas? Do they shoot you down when you go over it?
Restricted area is because Microworld and Petit are so close to Jhb International. You guys left your airfield and tuned in to Jhb Special rules East frequency 125.4. I was busy practicing stalls at the time so you can forgive me for not hearing your Reg - But I remember your instructor saying that you guys were at 6200feet when he made the call.
Little bumpy , oh dear
Don't want to scare you but this morning was actually still pretty mild... Bumpy is relative and you get used to it after a few hours.

I fly every wednesday - So if it is bumpy next week - Know that I am rock and rolling with you! :?
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:02 pm

demon wrote: dont loose the airfield :roll:
:oops: Did that and lost loads of otherthings. I was TOTALLY disoriented, it's not the same as a demo flight where you just sight see, here how have to be SO observant of your surroundings and that exhausted me, hell I didn't even see another ML till it was within throwing distance (if you have a good arm) and another thing, there was a woman training there too :D
Leprachaun
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

My first lesson

Postby Leprachaun » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:44 pm

Sound like ya enjoyed it all - well done !
Some day you will be able to sit on the veranda of the old toppies retirement village and reate to them "youngsters "about your first flight , many of them will tell ya , jis I still wanted to do it , - its never too late - My "dear old man " spent time flying in the late 30s early 40s , when the jerries were the baddies , and not so long ago at the grand age of 85 ,I took him for a flip - He made the local city press at StillBay , picture and all .
Enjoy it to the fullest , you will regret the boring 12 and 13s , but endure , sanity will prevail, the 60 hour time will get ya as well , you will tell your buddies, something is wrong " I cant land " it will pass- beware of the 100s then you are the" Mack of the plek" - take an instructor for a ride during these times - just to guide you along and to Blik.... you for the bad habits that you aquire . Most of all be an officer and a gentleman all times, May the Leprachauns protect ya ! (^^)
A pilot lives by perfection , or not at all!
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Nice one DF !!

Postby Chaz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:29 pm

Congrats DF and as Morpheus says start of a adventure/fun =D* =D* =D* =D*

Your's in Flying 8) 8) 8)
CHAZ
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:34 pm

Let the games begin. This is what it all about. When you get to the GATVOL stage and question going on, refer back to this pos.

Well done... :wink:
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:41 pm

Big D wrote:I was busy practicing stalls at the time so you can forgive me for not hearing your Reg - But I remember your instructor saying that you guys were at 6200feet when he made the call.
That was my attempted level flight, whilst feeling like I was in a washing machine.

To be honest, I couldn't make out anything over the radio, I could hear the instructor through the comm, but everything else on it was noise with muffled talking, experience or did my instructor turn it down for me?
Leprachaun wrote:May the Leprachauns protect ya
Dunno, they idea of little green men running around sounds too much like Gremlins...but they were green, not dressed in green :wink:, Thanks
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:17 pm

Hey DieselFan - Congrats! I have honestly been waiting for your reportback since you posted about it Monday!

The radio is a bit intimidating at first but you honestly get used to it - I can even talk to pax and still listen in on the chatter now...