Told you :D :D :D :D :D
Airborne Edge X
32-4331
"BLUEY"
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:40 am

DieselFan wrote:Has anyone noticed how the engine sounds louder then softer, yet your foot hasn't budged? Is that due to the wind "bringing" the sound closer etc or wax build up in my ears?
When you over rough terrain or built up area with no landing sites it always sounds softer (& ruffer :twisted: )

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:20 pm

DieselFan wrote: Has anyone noticed how the engine sounds louder then softer, yet your foot hasn't budged? Is that due to the wind "bringing" the sound closer etc or wax build up in my ears?
If you have a tailwind for example that is variable, when the wind blows harder the load on the prop reduces, resulting in the rev going up. The same happens when the wind weakens the loading increases reducing your revs. As a result you will hear the engine note change. Can be unnerving if you don't expect it.
Greg Perkins
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:24 am

Morpheus wrote:
DieselFan wrote: Has anyone noticed how the engine sounds louder then softer, yet your foot hasn't budged? Is that due to the wind "bringing" the sound closer etc or wax build up in my ears?
If you have a tailwind for example that is variable, when the wind blows harder the load on the prop reduces, resulting in the rev going up. The same happens when the wind weakens the loading increases reducing your revs. As a result you will hear the engine note change. Can be unnerving if you don't expect it.
Well it bugs me as I keep thinking my foot has slipped etc. and you're 100% correct it was EVERY time I flew downwind or was turning downwind.

I'm just a tad confused tho? If the wind blows harder (gusts) from behind the load temporarilly increases and what I'm hearing is the prop taking up the new strain?

Let me explain my "incorrect" reasoning? Lets say prop is 4000rpm, wind blows from behind, prop at same throttle spins down to 3500rpm to take up load and then creeps back up to 4000 but my ground speed would now be higher? Please be patient :oops:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:57 am

DieselFan wrote: Well it bugs me as I keep thinking my foot has slipped etc. and you're 100% correct it was EVERY time I flew downwind or was turning downwind.
When you are flying up wind you don't seem to notice the effect beause the wind is in your face and the engine is behind you, so in effect the sound is carried away from you.
DieselFan wrote: I'm just a tad confused tho? If the wind blows harder (gusts) from behind the load temporarilly increases and what I'm hearing is the prop taking up the new strain?
The other way around, a harder gust from behind, will unload the prop, causing it to spin up without any additional throttle movement. You will also show a higher ground speed because the wind is pushing you harder in this case. As soon as the gust reduces the prop load increases and so the RPM drops. Your GS will now drop back down.
Last edited by Morph on Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Perkins
DieselFan
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby DieselFan » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:58 am

Thanks for the reply Morpehus, I look forward to experimenting.