Ballistic Chute deployment STATS !!

Matters of general interest

Do you have a ballistic chute on your aircraft?

Yes
45%
No, but I intend to fit one soon
27%
No, and I don't intend to fit one.
27%

Total votes: 33
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Ballistic Chute deployment STATS !!

Postby Chaz » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:07 pm

Heya Folk's :D :D :D

I know its old turkey for most people here but apart from Mcguyers experience where he ended up using his ballistic chute, would or are there any statistics available on ballistic chute's deployed in South Africa. Most of the stats seem to be overseas based. Also if these stats are available what was the foremost reason or cause for deploying them i.e bad weather, turbulance, structural failure, getting caught in the dark etc etc.

I have just invested in a GRS Ballistic as some of my friends and family arent keen on flying with me untill such time as i have had it fitted. Maybe one of the moderators could start a "CENSUS" for yay or nay on ballstics and possibly a poll on how many MP's actually do fly with a Ballistic chute attached. I know the costs are prohibitive having just drained my entire "drinking fund" and more :cry: :cry:

If they were cheaper would more people buy and fit them. What are the MP's feelings about fitting and flying with one i.e. Pro's / Con's

Would love to hear from all you folk out there and hear the different viewpoints. I know this may be a sensitive subject to some but lets hear it anyway :!: :!: :!:

Your's in Flying 8) 8) 8)
CHAZ
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:19 pm

gotta have one. Cost is relative :lol: :wink:

When SWMBO decrees that my "ml grounding period" has expired I will be takin to skies with a Ball chute equipped trike, else they will be in a sling :wink:
CLU-less
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby CLU-less » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:34 pm

Hi Chaz,
I have just fitted a GRS to my Aerotrike and feel a lot happier having it as my son flies a lot with me. Weather permitting I am hoping to fly over the mountains this weekend to Greyton a good reason to have it.
I fitted it to the pylon tube just behind my passenger,s head and I would also like to know how other ML,s feel about the positioning of the chute. I am unable to fit it below the engine as I have the radiator mounted there and am reluctant to fit it below the seat on the boom as I feel there may be a possibility of it being damaged there.
Safe flying,
CLU-less
Tailspin
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Tailspin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:33 am

If it was cheaper or i had more money i think i would fit one. :oops: :?
Gavin van der Berg - ZS-WWF
“The genius controls the chaos”
One of the Proud Chain Gang Founding Members
Sad-Ham
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Sad-Ham » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:44 am

What are the prices of new / second hand and the pros and cons of new vs second hand :?: :?:
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:07 am

What are the prices of new / second hand and the pros and cons of new vs second hand
Depends if it has been used or not :D
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Pricing !!

Postby Chaz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:04 pm

Heya Zu-BPG

Cant think that there would be many second hand ballistics around but a GRS450 which is suitable for a trike costs R18200 VAT inclusive. It has a thirty year lifespan and is required to be repacked every six years. The cost of repacking is approximately R4000. I dont have stats on the BRS but from what i found out the GRS to be more economically viable. The BRS is a more compact unit though.

However any one of the two would be a good choice. You care to pm me i could fill you in with more detail.

CHAZ

N.B. Absolutely no "CONS" about fitting any rescue system to your aircraft. As i said before "ever been in the country side with a flat wheel and no spare" :cry:
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:52 pm

I fitted it to the pylon tube just behind my passenger,s head and I would also like to know how other ML,s feel about the positioning of the chute. I am unable to fit it below the engine as I have the radiator mounted there and am reluctant to fit it below the seat on the boom as I feel there may be a possibility of it being damaged there.
CLU-less - Just had my GRS fitted on exactly the same spot on a Aerotrike - Kinda worried it will hit the wing if ever deployed, seing that the GRS is not supposed to be aimed horizontally but upwards with a slight angle .

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?
Griffin
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Griffin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 pm

What worries me about CLUed-up’s installation is the possibility of garrotting his passenger if he ever had to deploy it (may just ruin a friendship).

Most of the accidents that I am aware of would not have offered the opportunity to use a chute due to their proximity to the ground. What is the danger of surviving the crash but having your head blown off when the chute is triggered by the impact?
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:20 pm

Always wondered how a wing would react? Where does everything go?

Assuming you deploy and are hanging on the Chute, what posi is the wing in? I am assuming the chute "lines" will push the back of the wing up and thus the bar into your chest? What position does the U/C "hang" in?

Not techinical, just wondering... :wink:
ZU-ANE

Postby ZU-ANE » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:55 pm

Me too, would think that it will nose down. Is it good or bad?
Microwave

Postby Microwave » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:32 pm

My plane is fitted wth a ballistic :D , however, if one carefully scrutinises the expiry date one will establish that it is now some 2 years beyond the expiry date :( Now, should I leave it and hope that when and if I need it one day that it will still be functional and save my life, or should I just take it off or replace it at great cost :?: Does anybody know anything about the extent to which the units deteriorate with time :?: What components are most likely to fail, the parachute or the rocket charge :?:
CLU-less
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby CLU-less » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:39 pm

Hi Big D,
I had the same concern and had no other option but to fit it horizontally about the same as Demon's Pic.(Thank's Demon for the photo it was great meeting you last week). I tried to find some info on the net but as yet havent found a web site that was of any help.
Safe Flying
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:50 pm

http://www.ultralightnews.ca/brs/brs_saves.htm

A bot out of date as last post looks like 2000?
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Info on Ballistic !!

Postby Chaz » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:28 am

Hiya Folks :D :D :D

The bit i have learnt about Ballistics in the last few weeks might help with some of the concerns i have seen expressed here. The re-packing is apparently to re-charge the rocket as well as to air the chute. These chutes are loaded under hydraulic pressure to avoid humidity/moisture content. I am not sure if the solid rocket fuel has a lifespan or not but being chemistry i think it gets unstable with time. GRS allow for a six year lifespan on there rocket and BRS 12 years.

GRS is a European system and when fitted in there manner it brings the trike down at a 30 degree angle at 6.4metres per second. BRS which is American is in a more horizontal level at 8.4 metres per second. However the BRS method creates rotation due to the wind rush over the wing on the chute(so i was told). Vladimir from Rainbow Aircraft Springs has designed a two point hang system which will bring the trike down at a 20 degree angle with no rotation on the chute or trike. From the drawings ive seen that he showed me he has combined the, shall we say the American and European sytem and improved on both. So wether you use a BRS or GRS Vladimir's system will work on both.

From a cost point and given a six year lifespan and a MP flys say a 100 hours a year which amounts to 600 hours then R18 000 would work out to R30 an hour for added safety and of course not to mention the value it would add to your trike.

For further information i think the best man to speak to would be Mr Abrie Kruger who is an agent for GRS and he can be contacted on (012) 380-4000. I did ask his permission to put his detail here and he is happy to advise anyone interested. Bottom line, i think both systems namely GRS or BRS are good.

CHAZ