If there is one thing I'm terrified of in flying it is mountains and ridges :(

Even the Magalies ridge is like crossing the Drakensberg for me :oops:

I'm at least 500'+ when I cross over the top :(
No it does not glide- it FLIES
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:17 am

Start with a little hill with a gentle slope. If you fly on the upwind side you will experience lift due to the wind rising with the slope of the land. The leeward side is the side to be avoided as this is where you will experience sink, or if there is a steep drop you will pick up rotor turbulance.

Lets assume the wind is coming from your left and the hill is to your right. In this case you will be on the upwind side. Now fly along the ridge as close as you can safely do it and as close as your abilities will allow. I usually position myself at the same altitude at the top of the ridge but you can be lower or higher. I use my wing as the point of reference.

Depending on the strength of the wind you will experience lift. As you are experiencing lift watch your airspeed. If it starts climbing reduce throttle to keep it under control. In a constant wind with a smooth slope you should experience a nice smooth lift, with no turbulance. Just don't drift over the top of the hill into the leeward side. If you experience any problems, turbulance, sink etc, turn away from the slope and accelerate away from the hill.

As you gain experience you will do this on steeper slopes in stronger wind. Eventually you will be able to ridge soar all day and use very little fuel. The hang glider boys and the glider fraternity do this all the time.
Greg Perkins
BIG-G
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby BIG-G » Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:30 am

Ridge soaring can be great fun. I always try to explain the effects of what water would do passing over an obstacle. In fact there are days when the wind is really blowing, especially a constant breeze not gusts. Get out there and fly the ridges. Stay on the windward side at all times. The updraft caused by the ridge is generally a wonderful smooth wave. Ride it. Its awesome. I have had occasions where I have been able to switch off the motor. Just dont do this if you have doubts about a restart.

:D
P&M AVIATION SA. Quik GT450, Mainair and Pegasus Trikes
"Take Flight and Reach for the Sky"
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:13 pm

Someone mind giving me a demo one day? not something i would like to attempt just quite yet!
BIG-G
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby BIG-G » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:48 am

Sure thing. When the wind is right will get Demon to give you a shout.
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:11 pm

BIG-G wrote:Sure thing. When the wind is right will get Demon to give you a shout.
Me too please, would be a good learning curve. I live not far from Rietfontein and DH also.
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:14 pm

Why don't you plan to all fly across to Rietfontein, then follow Demon out in your own planes and practise that way. Sounds like a nice fun day out. :D 8)
Greg Perkins
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Demon says I am to dik!
BIG-G
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Postby BIG-G » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:31 pm

While we are about it. Demon has offered to provide as much beer as you want after a free flight with him.
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Eish Morph - goodly plan but have you seen how short that runway is? I would rather attempt ridge soaring solo than trying to land there at present...
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:24 pm

DarkHelmet wrote:Eish Morph - goodly plan but have you seen how short that runway is? I would rather attempt ridge soaring solo than trying to land there at present...
The landing's not the problem, it's the taking off, fully fueled, 2-up. All Demon could say was "As you can see the runway is sometimes a bit marginal" I thought getting a barbed wire tattoo was going to become a reality, only with the realstuff. Fortunately we popped off the ground just in time :shock: :D 8)
Greg Perkins
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:54 pm

Yes Demon - Sundays between 9 and 10 am!

Oh no sorry! That is when you are supposed to be in church!
Wart
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Wart » Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:17 am

BIG-G wrote:Ridge soaring can be great fun. I always try to explain the effects of what water would do passing over an obstacle. In fact there are days when the wind is really blowing, especially a constant breeze not gusts. Get out there and fly the ridges. Stay on the windward side at all times. The updraft caused by the ridge is generally a wonderful smooth wave. Ride it. Its awesome. I have had occasions where I have been able to switch off the motor. Just dont do this if you have doubts about a restart.

:D
I often "suffer" the effects of this on take-off at Cato where the wind in in your face and there is a ridge (cliff!) about 0.5km from the end of the runway. As you take off you usually feel the effects of the sink :shock: and a small calm section and then the lift as you catch the wind coming up off the cliff. Turning at this point then causes you to experience the effects of this wind in mild turbulance :shock: (can be quite severe when the wind is stronger).

My instructor also used the "water effect" to explain it and that makes a lot of sense to me. Imagine water flowing at the ridge, up it and then over. Picture that in your mind and you will see what I mean.
Live: Hillcrest
Work: Pietermaritzburg
Redeye
Almost a pilot
Almost a pilot

Postby Redeye » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:57 am

I often used to do it in my A/C Racer- what i would do is go to where the hang gliders fly- We have 2 placees near to FAKR- Follow the same path as the hang gliders and watch you vario - I would keep reducing my pwer untill i could maintain 0.5 M/S up with the motor on idle- Then switch off the motor and you climb rate will get a bit better ( Something to do with the prop disc I think ) Then just do as the hang gliders do- but keep your eye out as a lot of them are not on radio- Its a lot of fun and when you are finished your just start up and fly home- the hang glider guys have to pack up their planes :lol:
Flying flying flying-- and a bit of gliding
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:48 pm

Redeye wrote:- Then switch off the motor and you climb rate will get a bit better ( Something to do with the prop disc I think )
My guess is the disc causes some drag and you might also have some gyro effect from the spinning prop too, whatever, hell this sounds cool !!
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces