Aerobatic Extravaganza - Klerksdorp

Matters of general interest
Chris van Eeden
Signed up at flight school

Re: Aerobatic Extravaganza - Klerksdorp

Postby Chris van Eeden » Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:15 pm

Spoke to Jay Hyde this morning - hoping to get the Snake Microlight display team at Klerksdorp as well.

This is a good opportunity for the less experienced guys to tag along.

Lets make this a massive gathering of Microlights. We have friendly surroundings, no airspace restrictions and we are far away from JHB to make it a proper cross country.

Chris
Chris van Eeden

Postby Chris van Eeden » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:41 am

Last night the Committee decided that we will sponsor a beer and braaipack to each aeroplane that confirms his attendance to the event beforehand. Obviously we cannot sponsor all 1000 aircraft (modest estimate) we expect, so this offer stands for the first 50. This excludes the actual aeries participating in the aerobatics and training camp - they are fully sponsored as far as grub and beer is concerned for the duration of the event.

Confirm your attendance by mailing me at chris@print.za.net

Chris
Chris van Eeden

Postby Chris van Eeden » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:50 am

Jay Hyde confirmed that the Snake Microlight Display Team will attend the Klerksdorp Aerobatic Extravaganza on 18 & 19 October 2008.

They will by flying throught on Saturday morning (18 October) at first light and will sleep over Saturday evening, returning home Sunday morning.

This is an ideal opportunity for Microlights to fly to Klerksdorp with them. Please contact me if you need anything arranged.

Chris
082 808 4464
Chris van Eeden

Postby Chris van Eeden » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:27 pm

We have had enquiries regarding fuel - we have AVGAS on the field. If anybody specifically needs MOGAS, we will arrange, but you need to confirm with me personally.

Chris
082 808 4464
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm

RudiGreyling wrote:Ditto, Going at sparrow's fart i.e. sunrise on Saturday in RV 'zulu' 7 to teach her some Aeros... :P Comming back late afernoon.
Change of plan, we are going late on Friday afternoon and staying for the party and lamb on the spit Friday night!

Groete
Rudi
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
Chris van Eeden

Postby Chris van Eeden » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:30 am

Latest news!

At present we can confirm that 26 Aerobatic aircraft will be taking part in the official programme. This number does not include the Aeries that have indicated that they will fly in.

Remember - huge spit braai on Friday evening. Braaipacks also available if yoy intend to camp. Great party on both Friday and Saturday evenings with live band on stage.

Chris
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 am

This sounds great !

Will fly in (WX permitting) early on Saturday morning and out again Sunday morning or afternoon.

CU all there !
Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Splinter
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby Splinter » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:44 am

Well Guys what can we say about this event?

Well lets start here! The Springs Manne van Staal got airborne at 14:00 Friday afternoon and took a heading for Klerksdorp only to be sent back by one moer of a thunder storm! We decided to wait it out till the next morning and battle the wind and bumps the next day! Myself, Big Man and Martin flew in with trikes while Rudi and Ferdi took the RV. The group was completed by Steve and Francois in the Pacemaker making the Springs Gang 7 strong!

I must say this event was really a moerse sukses and I would like to see more than 3 trikes there next year!!!!! Thanks to all who helped with the arrangements!

A special thanks to the following guys....

Cliff for providing us with hangerspace, a FREE Shuttle Sevice (his own vehicle) to go to the hotel and back and a driver by the name of Amos to drive us around while (**) (**) (**)! Even picked us up at the hotel Sunday 06:00 for departure, still (**) (**) (**) !

Chris and the rest of the microlight club for providing the FREE breakfast Saterday morning, the best lamb on a spit I have ever had (FREE) Saterday evening and FREE cold drinks and beer the whole day!!! :shock: :shock:

This was truly a nice event and being just 2 hours from JHB in a trike a must for every pilot!!!!

Once again thanks to all, the Springs guys had great fun!

ZU-RED
Lower, Lower ...........
Stephan van Tonder
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Stephan van Tonder » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:51 am

We drove there for a while on saturday.

Nuts about Cheetahs. Petit is the place.
Tracer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Tracer » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:02 pm

Now I see what ZU-APJ looks like. Veerrryyy nice aerie.

When I went to get the ATF for my plane, there was mass confusion, cause ZU-APJ did the ATF on the same day as me with ZU-AJP...... :lol: ...
Rudix
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Rudix » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Great photos Stephan !

Sorry I did not get to meet you :( I flew in Saturday morning and left Sunday morning again, must still process all the photos but I took around a 1000, including the there and back shots.

Getting back to Rhino this morning was "interesting" to say the least, from between Petit and Microland there was a solid bank of fog but I did finally managed to slip below it.

This is what it looked like :shock:

It was great watching the masters at work !

Fly safe,
Rudi
"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." ;)
Chris van Eeden

Postby Chris van Eeden » Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:23 am

To everybody who attended, but especially the entrepid flyers from Springs - it was a great pleasure!

Just one correction though, it was not the microligters who provided the free stuff - it was the Klerksdorp Pilot Association. we are one big happy family of flyers that includes us microlighters. We were simply the cooks and barmen.

Hope to see you all here again soon.
Chris
T4flyer
Pre flight checks done

Postby T4flyer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:21 am

BIG BIG THANK YOU… vhpy (^^)

A couple weeks ago, Chris van Eeden ever so kindly organised for me to go on an aerobatic flip with Cliff Lotter at the Aerobatic Extravaganza.

Last week dragged on endlessly, finally it’s Saturday, and the birthday boys first ever aerobatic flip. No breakfast cereals, just toast and tea (I’d been warned that as this was my first time I was going to feel very sick and I was more scared of being sick in Cliff’s plane than I was of the actual flight)

When my wife and I arrive at the airfield, I track down Cliff and realise this is one very busy guy! Maybe it’s not going to happen after all :cry: . However, after running to the gate, sorting out this and that Chris says, lets go :shock: .

I won’t bore you with all the details, but the flight was all I had expected it to be and more vhpy . How many times have I watched video clips looking out from various cockpits and wondered what would it really be like to look out at the world in a roll or loop, I now know, much much better than any video that’s for sure. Did I feel sick, :(> not at all, I think I was enjoying the whole experience just too much. Would I do it again, hell yes, in a blink of an eye. :wink:

Chris, Thanks you very much and I’m sorry I never got to say high on Saturday. :oops:
Cliff, You made my Birthday one of the best ever. Thank you Thank you. vhpy (^^) vhpy

In addition, to all the organizers of the whole extravaganza thank you, my wife and of course I, had a great day. (^^)

Don.
RudiGreyling
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby RudiGreyling » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:37 am

Thanks guys it was great...One correction though it was 9 pilots and 7 aircraft from Springs. (1xSamba and 1xCheetah was only there for the 1/2 the day before the thunderstorms on Saturday)

Hey T4flyer in what aircraft did you get your Aeros Flip :twisted: (-) :twisted: vhpy Was it not a RV7 ??? :P

Rudi
Last edited by RudiGreyling on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Science, freedom, beauty, adventure - Aviation offers it all"
http://www.RudiGreyling.com
T4flyer
Pre flight checks done

Postby T4flyer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Rudi

Sure was, RV7 an amazing piece of machinery that makes dreams come true vhpy To be honest a small piece of me is still up there and I think its going to take a long time to come down. Bad news is that maybe this aerobatic thing has bitten my bum :shock: this could become costly :?

Cheers (^^)
Don.