Matters of general interest
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Ballistic Chutes

Postby Mc Guyver » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:01 am

Ballistic chutes are they necessary??
Yes , most definitely.
I have always taught if you screw up , tell as many people about it so that someone might learn from the mistake. So here I am putting my pride in my pocket and telling all.
I had someone coming up to the airfield for a flight last Monday morning.
The weather was not good and very cloudy.
I called them to cancel as the weather conditions were not good enough for flying.
They had already left home and said they would come up to the airfield in any case.
From the ground above the airfield I assessed the conditions as good enough to do a circuit or two and to see how the surrounding area looked.
Soon after take off I realised I was in trouble with a cloud that had come in low. I decided to do a right hand turn out and land back on the airfield.
Problems!!! I ended up in heavier cloud. What were my options?
All I could do now was give full power and hopefully climb through the cloud and divert to a nearby airfield.
I entered our airfield on the GPS so as to have an arrow to follow to keep straight. I did not take my eyes off the instruments which were a digital VSI and altimeter as well as my GPS. I was climbing out at between 280 and 350 fpm with my control bar slightly back from neutral which is the position that I always fly in.
I climbed to approx. 1000ft agl and then saw that the instruments showed I was no longer climbing but was in rapid descent. I kept watching my VSI and it showed a drop of 400fpm then 600fpm and then 800fpm. I was at full RPM, my control bar was straight with slight back pressure and nothing was changing. I took my hands off the control bar to see if the wing was stable and the bar remained basically in the identical position. I had no sensation at all of the plane descending. Knowing that the highest point in the area was at approx 1050 ft I watched the altimeter descending with my hand on the cable for deploying the chute. I was still at full rpm. At approx 200 ft above what I thought was the highest point, I deployed the chute and came down safely to mother earth.
I am not sure as to when I broke through the cloud, as I had my eyes glued to the instrumentation readying for activating the chute.
On deploying the chute the explosive went off with a much louder bang than I anticipated. I was expecting a massive jolt when the parachute opened and was surprised as to how gentle the tug was when it opened.
I failed to switch off my motor and the steel cable of the chute got hooked on the gearbox.
This brought me down in a very much nose down attitude. I used my left hand to brace myself on the front profile tube with my right hand holding the control bar.I kept saying to myself keep conscious.
It seemed like ages before I hit the ground.
The front wheel hit and then the nose of the wing and then the trike came down sideways on the right rear wheel. With the shock of hitting the ground and all the cables and the wing coming down on me I think I just remained still for a few seconds! The plane was on its side with me trapped underneath it. I then released my seatbelt, took off my helmet (I don't know why I did not leave it on and get away from the plane!) I climbed out and was lucky enough to get out completely unhurt.
I had a slight surface bruise on my forehead which was probably caused by the helmet moving on impact.
I was lucky in that I landed in a field with trees all around me. I must have been approx 500ft agl on deploying the chute.
I am extremely angry with myself for screwing up the way I did and hope that others will learn from my very bad error of judgement in not realising that the weather conditions were changing rapidly!
On looking back, if it was not good enough to take up a passenger, why was it good enough for me to fly?
I have tried working out why I had no sensation of descending and have come up with the conclusion that when in a thermal you feel the knock as you go in and then your VSI shows the climb, but you do not actually feel it. With the downdraught I assume that it must have been the same.

I have seen written, that a Ballistic chute is not neccesary and is basically a waste of time and is "redundant exuipment".
I also used to think that, but when Alan Honeyborne lost his life I decided to equip my trike with a chute. Thank goodness I made that decision.
Spending a few weeks in hospital severely injured, or even losing my life, would cost more than the chute!!
The Recovery system that I used was the GRS.
People will say that a chute is only neccesary for structual failure or mid air collision as one should not be caught in bad weather.
Errors of judgement do happen and my pride is very hurt and I am angry that this happened to me.
The damage to the trike was minimal with the front fork,the right rear stub axle, the radiator, wing keel and a few curved battens needing replacement.
I have always said that accidents are 99% pilot error but generally pilot stupidity.
I will let you decide on this last remark! :oops: :oops:
To GRS recovery systems I thank you :D :D :D [/b]
Robin Hood
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:24 am

Wow Mc Guyver - what a story! And am I damn glad I fitted that 'unnecessary' ballistic parachute!

Amazing that you got away with so little damage - to yourself and the trike. Well done for keeping your head and believing in the instuments you had.

A huge lesson for all of us. Thanks for sharing.
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Junkie » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:59 pm

Glad your around to tell the story McG - :D :shock:

Had similar incident in the early days of trainign WITH instructor on board and after about 10 seconds just knew we were deep in the dwang. Theory did seem to hold true on this occasion to just let go and let the trike descend without power - pulling on the BAR just exacerbates the risks when the brian has a lack of visual cues.

Ive been pondering this for a while now and now i've had a couple of rides up North this last 2 weeks have seen these devices - I get the feeling they are now considered a standard must have feature

Looks like im going to have to lay out a few more bob for one on the trike - Pro's & Cons of GRS / BRS anyone ?
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
grosvenor
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby grosvenor » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:58 pm

Ian

For info on the Galaxy GRS, look at www.dreamwings.co.za and www.galaxysky.cz . Info on BRS at www.brsparachutes.com

The GRS canopy os slightly larger than the BRS, and decent rates are a bit lower. Galaxy use a softer packing style for the parachute as they believe it is more reliable than the hard compressed packing style of BRS. This results on a slightly larger container. BRS is made in the USA, and is the most common system used there. GRS is made in the Czech Republic and is commonly used throughout Europe.

Can't comment of the BRS price, but to give you an idea a GRS to suite a trike (GRS3/450 Out) costs R18,150.00 incl VAT, ex. Jo'burg.

Chutes are available in hard or soft packs, and different sizes depending on the aircraft it's fitted to. GRS can cater for aircraft weights up to 2000kg.

Both will bring you down in one piece.

Dave
Junkie
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Junkie » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:59 pm

interesting stuff .. it seems most common position is mounted on the mast behind pilot with some also under the keel. Any danger too like and limb with these discharging so close to pob apart from the noise . some guys have gone to some trouble to route straps, etc upto top of mast wonder if this is really necassary? anyone riggedup automaticallly to kill motor?
J.U.N.K.I.E 's
Finest used aviation parts in all the Universe
No credit / No returns
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:19 pm

AS far as trikes are concerned my logic tells me that I would rather have it going off forward and up than towards the back. At least forward and up would tilt the wing up, the a-Frame away from you and the trike would drift down to earth backwheels first, There would be less chance of the cables snagging in the prop. Backwards you would be tilted forward, the A-frame would be in your chest and you would have to pray that your seatbelts can hold your weight until touch down. This naturally assumes that the wing doesn't seperate in which case it don't matter. IMHO.

However I'm sure that the sonic blast from the rockets going off near your ears could cause permanent damage as well.
Greg Perkins
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:21 pm

Thanks Mac Guyver for sharing that near miss with us - it takes a brave man to admit his mistakes but I have definitely learnt something from your expereince and the thread that you have started with this topic.

Bought my GRS 450 from Dave a year ago - great service and advice by the way. GRS about half the price of a BRS but from my research just as good. Slightly larger than the BRS but sits snugly under my engine with the hang point being just behind the passenger seat on my Aquilla.

You can buy a auto igition kill system from www.aviationproducts.de - have not fitted one yet though.
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:02 pm

Backwards you would be tilted forward, the A-frame would be in your chest and you would have to pray that your seatbelts can hold your weight until touch down.
I failed to switch off my motor and the steel cable of the chute got hooked on the gearbox.
This brought me down in a very much nose down attitude. I used my left hand to brace myself on the front profile tube with my right hand holding the control bar.
From the experience quoted above it seems as if the trike was NOT tilted forward to such a degree that the control bar needed to be pushed away. I have been wondering which of the following scenarios will happen:

a) the trikes centre of gravity is now way back, but the airflow (due to descend) under the wing counteracts this,

b) centre of gravity way back, and airflow same on both sides of wing, causing a nose down attitude,

c) centre of gravity back, trike nosedives and this is aggrevated as soon as front aspect reaches vertical

It seems as if the scenario was more or less that mentioned in a). (b) would happen when the wing was lost

Last edited by gertcoetzee on Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Mc Guyver » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:33 am

ianrw wrote:Glad your around to tell the story McG - :D :shock:

Had similar incident in the early days of trainign WITH instructor on board and after about 10 seconds just knew we were deep in the dwang. Theory did seem to hold true on this occasion to just let go and let the trike descend without power - pulling on the BAR just trike - Pro's & Cons of GRS / BRS anyone ?

Pro's
We know for sure the GRS works!!!
Ratman
First solo

Postby Ratman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:15 pm

=D* =D* =D* Well done McG - I can think of one other great pro - you being willing to share your experience so that we all can learn.
Ratman
ZU-GTi
Quick GT450
Chad
Slow starter

Postby Chad » Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:08 am

Mc Guyver,

Thanks for the post/information. That is the second account I have read of an actual deployment.

Good food for thought in the ongoing debate of needing one or not.

Chad
kill_devil
Pre flight checks done

Postby kill_devil » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:57 am

Mc Gyver,

Can you clarify something. You say "
I entered our airfield on the GPS so as to have an arrow to follow to keep straight
Did you mean the pointer was pointing back to the airfield you took off from?

If so, that may be the source of the difficulty. The arrow would move if you flew off the radial, so confusing you. Same thing happened to me once, taking off through mist. No matter which way I turned, the arrow turned with me. The sun was just visible which saved me.

Solution is to enter a GoTo destination that is a long, long way away. Or better still avoid flying into those fluffy white things altogether.

Has anyone else out there been forced to use his GPS arrow as a DI to fly straight when inadvertently becoming cloud bound in a trike? I would like to know the limitations and dangers.
"The hardest thing about flying is the ground"
Mc Guyver
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby Mc Guyver » Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:02 am

[quote="kill_devil"]Mc Gyver,

Did you mean the pointer was pointing back to the airfield you took off from?

If so, that may be the source of the difficulty. The arrow would move if you flew off the radial, so confusing you. Same thing happened to me once, taking off through mist. No matter which way I turned, the arrow turned with me. The sun was just visible which saved me.

Yes I did enter the home airfield and the pointer kept showing straight behind me.
What I wanted was to make sure I did not start turning and I believe I succeeded in achieving this by where I finally ended up.
I was not confused and kept watching my instruments all the time. Had it not been for the severe sink I believe I would have come out of it.
Lesson to be learnt: 1)Wait until visibility is good enough to fly away and not just think it is good enough to do a circuit!!
2)Always trust your instruments :oops:
Big-D
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Big-D » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:15 pm

Just had my GRS installed. Quite a smack on the cash flow but those end-of-the-month Salti Cracks are starting to taste damn fine after reading Mc Guyver's story. Thanks for sharing man :shock:
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Ballistics !!

Postby Chaz » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:36 pm

Heya Mcguyver :!: :!:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your experience and i think i can maybe undertsand your anger and frustration with yourself but as i once said to FF your years of flying hours at that point and time made you make the correct decision by deploying your GRS. As for the Weather i am sure there are a few pilots out there who have made kaaak decisions in there time but have just not told us or worse are no longer around.

I just invested in a GRS450 which hopefully will be installed on my plane this week still. A comment of "that's for sissys" was made but then again i know what its like to have a flat wheel without a spare being available :cry: :cry:

Your's in Flying 8) 8)
CHAZ
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)