Supersticions, good luck charms, beliefs etc

Matters of general interest
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Supersticions, good luck charms, beliefs etc

Postby kb » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:25 pm

Just out of interest, do any of you have supersticions, beliefs, a lucky charm etc, that relates to Flying. Maybe a certain pair of socks, or a t-shirt or something, that you always have with you when you fly?? I have 2, first is that I only get in and out on the left hand side of the plane, and the other is that I like to have both MAG switches in the "ON" position.

just out of interest.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
DarkHelmet
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby DarkHelmet » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:32 pm

Well, I am also one of those fanatical about "both mags on"

Since I fitted the electric pump that is also always on

And I refuse to turn the engine off mid flight...
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:38 pm

I have a friend who is an ex SAA 747 pilot. He is highly superstitous. He too has the Left door only thing but has taken it further, he will not enter and leave a house, building etc via different doors, even if it is a short cut. He never uses the words "dead side" or "Falling" etc when flying. I must ask him sometime to give me a complete breakdown.

Me, nothing, no superstitions whatsoever.
Greg Perkins
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:00 pm

My last take-off check is "gut feel". I close my eyes for a second to give myself a moment to decide whether I'm completely comfortable or if its a bad gut feel or a bit of nerves associated with a new challenge. How do I FEEL about this flight?

I remember one hang gliding flight in which I ignored this feeling entirely (a PeePee pilot at the time), and ended with concusion, a broken nose, smashed face and bent glider :shock: :cry: . I once had the same feeling for a flight of my skygod's. Tried to talk him out of it, but he wouldn't hear anything, so I walked away, went hiding on the opposite side of the mountain (about 300m away) Next thing I hear everyone call his name. He had a parachute deployment after take-off, which put him and his hang glider on a little ledge halfway up a 600' sheer cliff :shock:, which is such an amazing story I'll ask him to tell it on the forum if anyone is interested .

Since then I believe in guardian angels and gut feel :wink:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

Aye Aye !!

Postby Chaz » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:08 pm

Glad you asked KB :D

I have three One i always use the same pair of "Takkies" when flying and in the morning if my back happens to be to the rising sun i turn towards it and then only do i proceed to the holding point( had an instructor once saying WTF :?: as we ended up doing 2 full circles just about) :D :D . Last one i only get in on the right side.

Your's in Flying 8) 8)
CHAZ
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Aye Aye !!

Postby Morph » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:13 pm

Chaz wrote:Glad you asked KB :D

I have three One i always use the same pair of "Takkies" when flying and in the morning if my back happens to be to the rising sun i turn towards it and then only do i proceed to the holding point( had an instructor once saying WTF :?: as we ended up doing 2 full circles just about) :D :D . Last one i only get in on the right side.

Your's in Flying 8) 8)
CHAZ
OK now explain why :?: Was it an event or incident etc that led to these beliefs :?: No criticising just interested :)
Greg Perkins
kb
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Re: Aye Aye !!

Postby kb » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:15 pm

Chaz wrote: in the morning if my back happens to be to the rising sun i turn towards it and then only do i proceed to the holding point.
Eh, lost..... don't unnastend
Chaz wrote: Last one i only get in on the right side. CHAZ
Can see a problem if Chaz and I are running to climb onto a plane at the same time.
"The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest."
Chaz
Going for flight test
Going for flight test

No idea !!

Postby Chaz » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:25 pm

To be honest Morpheus no idea!!

All the years i rode and dragged bikes i would only get on from the left side of a bike. Nothing thats actually ever happened thats made me feel i have to do this but if i dont do that routine i feel uncomforatble. As FF puts it, my gut feel. They actually habits now and dont think twice about doing it. Every night e.g. since i have lived on my own for the past 24 odd years i check every door window in my house before i go sleep too. Dont think i have ever skipped a night and i do this when im on holiday too.

Other than that Morpheus actually no reasonable explanation for it :!: :!:

And no im not "MAD" :D :D :D

Your's in Flying
CHAZ
On a "WING" and a "PRAYER" (C.W.A)
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:25 pm

Fairy Flycatcher wrote:My last take-off check is "gut feel". I close my eyes for a second to give myself a moment to decide whether I'm completely comfortable or if its a bad gut feel or a bit of nerves associated with a new challenge. How do I FEEL about this flight?

Since then I believe in guardian angels and gut feel :wink:
A women's intuition is a powerful thing :)

I too work on gut feel, if it doesn't feel right I don't go. I also believe in guardian angels. If there is a persistent technical problem, or circumstances that get in the way, especially when there are more than 1 at the same time, then I don't push it. For example, the car won't start, then I can't draw money at the bank, then the traffic is buzy,...... I do this for biking as well.

Even if I get up in the air I can decide to land, The other day my hangar buddy asked it I wanted to join him on a flight to Stellenbosch. The sky was full of Cb's and I expected to get bumped around but the wind was mild. I took off first, flew around overhead the airfield, got one or two bumps and I didn't feel right. I radio'd my mate and told him I'm landing because I don't like the conditions and he understood.

I'm not sure if this is technically a superstition. if so then it appears that I am
Greg Perkins
velocity
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby velocity » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:25 pm

I will only jump out of a trike on the right hand side - seriously :roll:
Graham F
IFLYHI
Look I'm flying
Look I'm flying

Postby IFLYHI » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:30 pm

and my trusty old hiking boots on my feet
And here I wish I had that reliable 4-stroke 912 in my airy :shock:

Sorry no superstitions about flying :)
No it does not glide- it FLIES
Smiley
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Smiley » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:35 pm

I was told if 3 things go wrong before your flight, you stay on the ground!!

Lets say:
1) You bump your toe when climing out of bed.
2) Your car battles to start.
3) You get to the hangar, and your aerie battles to start.

STAY ON THE GROUND!! -xX Bad things are about to happen if you fly.....!
Flying tha beast named "Wollie"
ZS-WGT

Springs 122.40
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:13 pm

I was told that if anything doesn't feel right about flying then give it a miss that day. One thing I definitely do is always kiss my wife and son goodbye before I go off to the airfield - just in case!
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:14 pm

CW Ask Johan Froneman about his. There are two things banned at his airfield, unleaded fuel, he is quite passionate about it and journalists.

He also won't use the words Dead-side or Fall/val(afr)
Greg Perkins
Cloud Warrior
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby Cloud Warrior » Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:24 pm

I am dreading the day that I have to fuel my trike for the first time at Saldanha. Will have to sneak the unleaded in without him seeing!