Ramp Inspection List

Matters of general interest
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: Ramp Inspection List

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:42 am

Hi Morph

I must say, I am extreeeeeemly dissapointed in your previous posts!!! You have a great support on this forum, and you are very respected, so what you say a lot of people will believe, yet you do not know the law?

Part 24 is the Regulations regarding Airworthiness of NTCA
Part 91 is general operations (all aircraft)
Part 94 is the LAW Regarding Operation of NTCA ----- This lists the exemptions / exclusions / additions to part 91 for ALL NTCA (including Gyrocopters - FO)
Part 103 is the Law regarding Operation of Microlights specifically.

Together with this, you have the CATS. CATS-NTCA, CATS-OPS-94, CATS-OPS-103

David wrote all of this down, yet, without your research, you add to the confusion, and stress the poor microlight pilots, who use this forum for support, out for no reason...

Come on. Get the facts straight. Get a copy of the CATS and CARS and support the people with the right info.

I for one, would like to have the names of the inspectors who acted way outside their mandate, incorrectly, and have their licences suspended pending the writing of an airlaw exam. I have discussed it with David, and he agrees...

Who else agrees that we must call for all the inspectors to write closed book air law exams on NTCA, and do courses on public relations and CRM. I believe they must be suspended from further field duties until then...
Last edited by Fairy Flycatcher on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:45 am

And btw... The red airlaw book has been written for the standard PPL, and as far operations go, have very little to do with NTCA!

You can download the entire CATS and CARs from the CAA website in PDF format.

Volume 2 has all the CARs, and Volume 3 the CATS that apply to this discussion...
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:03 am

FF wrote:I must say, I am extreeeeeemly dissapointed in your previous posts!!! You have a great support on this forum, and you are very respected, so what you say a lot of people will believe, yet you do not know the law?

Fairy, nice to see you on the forum again :?

My previous posts are slanted specifically at the angle that CAA and their inspectors are taking and the CATS parts they are using to motivate their actions.
FF wrote:David wrote all of this down, yet, without your research, you add to the confusion, and stress the poor microlight pilots, who use this forum for support, out for no reason...
I am as confused as everyone else and it is CAA in their actions that is causing this confusion.

By being dissapointed in me is not going to solve the problem. We are being hammered by this and need a way to defend ourselves.
Greg Perkins
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

Ramp Inspection List

Postby John Young » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:13 am

Morph wrote:Fairy, nice to see you on the forum again

I am as confused as everyone else and the only people who seem to have an alternative view and can back it up with the law are you and David.
Agreed.

The average amateur pilot hasn't got a clue. :?

Most of us are darn busy with workloads that border the unreasonable.

Where can we obtain a succinct version (1 or 2 pages) of exactly what is required?

So much has changed over such a short period that has left 99% of pilots confused.

Regards
John ZU-sEXY

PS: Not nice reading all this law BS early on a Sunday and hearing of the heavy handed approach used by certain officials.
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:48 am

Morning guys.

It's all there John. And yes, sorry that you have to start Sunday morning like this, and yesterday with the accident. The accidents start becoming part of your flying career sooner or later :(

To answer see page 4 of this thread.

All that I can see has changed is that the part where it says a microligth needs an altimeter if it flies above 3000feet ASL, has now been changed in the CARS to be 500feet AGL, (gyro copters 1000f AGL) and they have added a part which says you need a compass if you fly above 500f AGL. Can you believe it, but the CAT's have not yet been changed. What a circus...

So, nothing has really changed, you still don't need a compass if you remain below 500feet AGL in class G airspace, which is about 98% of SA's skies. And you still don't need a radio station licence......all as per my page of this thread...

Also, I don't believe it reasonable to expect all pilots to be conversant with the laws. But, hey, I don't like being stuffed around, so I bothered to study them.

Now, I try to share this with you guys, and turns out most of you can't read (including you Morph :lol: ).

Just print page 4 of this thread and carry it with you in your pilots licence (which should be signed, and if your instructor/school never taught you that, well, too bad so sad, what can I say) :wink:

And then, if you are still harrassed by these clots, phone the nearest SAP office immediately, and ask for urgent assistance, as you are being accosted and harrassed at your private airfield..... they are obliged to send an inspector out immediately, and then you can lay a charge of harrassment against the SACAA... there is so much you can do to stop this kak........ just take a stand, man, just take a stand...

Now, who agrees that I should start a vote on 'call for SACAA field inspectors to be grounded until exams passed'........ and then I will flood the commissioner with faxes....... darn ignorant arrogant clots the lot of them.

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:04 am

OK FF, seeing as I am now the target, please clarify the following for me for my own edification, I find I am struggeling to read it :twisted:

Operation of amateur-built or production-built aircraft, including
microlight aeroplanes
(1) Exemptions
Notwithstanding the provisions of –
(a) Regulation 91.03.2 (related to the POH) and Regulation 91.03.5(Flight Folio), a person may operate an
amateur-built or production-built aircraft, including a microlight aeroplane,
without carrying on board a current, approved flight manual or
flight folio should such carriage not be safely possible;

This appears clear except you have to prove
should such carriage not be safely possible;
This now relies on CAA's interpretation of what is safe?

94.06.7(b) Regulation 91.03.7, a person may operate an amateur-built or production-
built aircraft, including a microlight aeroplane, if the aircraft has
been issued with a certificate of release to service by an appropriately
rated Approved Person;
“release to service” –
(a) in relation to an aircraft, means –
(i) in respect of scheduled maintenance, the issuing of a certificate of
release to service; and
(ii) in respect of line maintenance, the appropriate entry in the technical
log-book or flight folio, as the case may be; and
(b) in relation to an aircraft component, means the issuing of –
(i) a serviceable label; or
(ii) a certificate relating to the maintenance of an aircraft;
So the AP, by signing out your logbook, is effectively issuing you with this release of service? NOTE: I am not refering to ATF which is still required

94.06.7(c) Subpart 4 of Part 91, a person may operate an amateur-built or production-
built aircraft, including a microlight aeroplane, if the aircraft has
been equipped with –
(i) a seat with an approved safety harness or safety belt for each
person on board the aircraft;
(ii) a map which covers the complete route of the proposed flight; and
(iii) in the case of flight over water beyond gliding or autorotative
distance from shore, one lifejacket or individual flotation device for
each person on board, stored in a position easily accessible for
such persons, or alternatively worn by such persons.
(2) Conditions for flight
In addition to the restrictions imposed by Regulation 94.05.1(this specifically relates to day flying, VFR, non controlled airspace etc), no microlight
aeroplane shall be operated above 500 feet AGL unless fitted with –
(a) an approved, serviceable compass; and
(b) an altimeter that is accurate to within approximately 100 feet.

So you are saying that this one paragraph and 1.03.02 below replaces the entire 91.04 section in the CARS and CATS? This includes the medical aid kit, fire extinguishers. In short a seat with belt, Map, compass and ALT if over 500ft agl

103.02.5 EQUIPMENT
1. Equipment
A microlight aeroplane must be equipped with –
(1) a seat with an approved safety belt for each person on board;
(2) a map which covers the complete route of the proposed flight;
(3) in the case of flight above 3 000 feet mean sea level, one altimeter; and
(4) in the case of an operation over water beyond gliding distance from a safe
alighting area, one lifejacket or individual flotation device for each person
on board, stored in a position easily accessible from the seat or berth of
the person for whose use it is provided.

There appears to be confusion here between 103.02.5 and subpart 4 above it wrt the Altimeter. Which one do we believe

What about LSA? or is that also included in the statement above
94.06.7(c) Subpart 4 of Part 91, a person may operate an amateur-built or production-
built aircraft, including a microlight aeroplane
as far as Part 91 is concerned?
Greg Perkins
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 am

Hullo guys.

Yes, Morph, Part 94 and 103 of the CAR's and CAT's fully replaces anything in part 91. That's why they were written.

Once again, please study my long explanation on page 4 of this thread. Please read my para 2. It deals with 94.03.1 (7) (d) and (f). All you need for the POH is the relevant page. ie make a photocopy of the page dealing with stalling speeds and cruise speeds and landing distances etc., Even light aircraft have this amended concise section of the POH.

Concerning the other stuff you mention, about the AP's and the 'release to service'..... This term is still a misnomer within the AP industry. I am an AP, and I have spoken to Andre Swanepoel about this. There is no guideline form SACAA. It is something they threw into the reg's, but they have not come up with the CAT's to support it.

About the other stuff, it's all in the various log books. Everything you mentioned gets filled into the logbook after any work done by the AP (remember you are not allowed to do the work anymore) You are supposed to carry a flight folio on the plane, and that gets filled in after every flight. Also any snags etc., then all this stuff is transferred into the logbooks which are NOT supposed to be carried on the plane. But, the old microlight log book doubled as a folio (it had the necessary folio pages within), so that logbook used to be carried on the plane. Andre Swanepoel is still accepting that log book for Autho's to Fly submissions. So, if that is the logbook/folio system you still have, then please have that one on your plane somewhere.

Otherewise, if you have the new system of 3 logbooks (big A4 size), they stay at home, and you just carry the Flight Folio on your plane (also an A4).

Hope this is starting to clear things up.

And if you have any doubt, do what I suggested, print out what I wrote on Page 4 of this thread, and shove that into the face of the field inspector, while you already phone the SAP and ask for help...

Morph, if you guys in the WCMC would like Annie and me to come present an evening lecture on NTCA airlaw and operational requirements, let us know.

Cheers.
Last edited by lamercyfly on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Daniel
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:52 am

I have taken the original posted Ramp inspection checklist on page 1 and added comments. Understand, this is my very limited understanding of the law.

Ramp inspection Checklist

Does the aircraft have an identification plate: Required containing

A fire-proof plate on the instrument panel, containing the following
information:
• Name of the constructor or manufacturer;
• Aircraft type and model;
• Aircraft registration letters and serial or build number;
• Engine make and model

Certified copies of the listed documents are acceptable
Documentation:

1.Cert of Registration: Yes - Certified copy
2.Cert of Airworthiness: ATF – Certified Copy
3.Inspection Reminder: In the flight folio - Only if you can safely store it - 94.06.7 (1) (a)
4.Compass Card: on the compass – Only if you fly above 500ft agl - 94.06.7 (2) (a)
5.Pilot’s checklist: In the POH - Only if you can safely store it - 94.06.7 (1) (a)
6.Is the signal strips in the aircraft : Not required Exempted under 94.06.7 (1)
7.Certificate of Release to Service available:
An AP by signing your logbook in effect is issuing you this. However you are not required to keep the logbook in the plane?
8.Radio station license available: Yes required
9. Approved Mass & Balance Sheet: Yes certified copy
10.Equipment List: In the POH - Only if you can safely store it - 94.06.7 (1) (a)
12.SACAA Approved Aircraft Flight Manual: Only if you can safely store it - 94.06.7 (1) (a) If there is no space then a copy of the page detailing, weights, performance spec's take off speeds Vne etc.
13.Is the flight folio correctly filled in: n/a if you cannot safely store it - 94.06.7 (1) (a)
14.Check fight folio for outstanding defects: (If Yes What) n/a if you cannot safely store it - 94.06.7 (1) (a)
15. Is a Map of the area available - Required
16. Is the Navigation Planning Log available – Only if you have a navigator, i.e. not required
17. Is first aid equipment dated and correctly stowed according to position decals: Not required Exempted under 94.06.7 (1)
18. Is a Fire extinguisher available, valid and correctly stowed: Not required Exempted under 94.06.7 (1)
19. Is portable oxygen correctly stowed according to position decals: N/a fly below 12000ft - Not required Exempted under 94.06.7 (1)
20. Are all emergency exits clearly marked and unobstructed - n/a

Does the crew have all the relevant personal documentation available:
1. Is your license valid and signed by the holder
2. Is your medical valid
3. Do you have the type rating endorsed or on your file copy
Greg Perkins
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:13 am

Hey Morph

What a great list - sums everything up properly :)

BTW, a radio station licence cannot be issued if you have a portable radio. Only for built-in radios. For portable radio's, you require a radio licence (not the same as radio operating certificate), which is issued by ICASA as well, but does not have the aircraft registration on it, but rather the owners' name and general geographical area of use...

I still feel that we should take these CAA inspectors to task, and make them write airlaw exams on NTCA ... David suggested a vote on that? I have had problems with ramp inspections at FAVG as well, and harrassment is high on the list. But some of it is just insane! One of school's C152's was grounded, in writing, for having a 'home made data-plate', when the inspector was in fact looking at something else, and the data plate was fully legal, under the pilot seat of the aircraft....

CAA is effectively making themselves the enemy of the pilots, and this should be stopped.

Maybe ask RAaSA to distribute the CAA ramp inspection list, VS the way NTCA should comply, to all pilots on their database. This will be a very basic step against this incredibly stupid CAA action...
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:23 am

Fairy Flycatcher wrote:BTW, a radio station licence cannot be issued if you have a portable radio. Only for built-in radios. For portable radio's, you require a radio licence (not the same as radio operating certificate), which is issued by ICASA as well, but does not have the aircraft registration on it, but rather the owners' name and general geographical area of use...
This is an ongoing debate. I spoke to ICASA and was informed that if you have a radio, portable or not, if it is installed, wired, plugged in to an aircraft then you require the Radio Station licence. Now plugging the ptt is is considered enough. If it is in your hand, your bakkie, etc and actually portable then just a radio licence applies. I think the cost is the same, so I am going to err on the side of CAA requirements and stick with the Radio Station.
Greg Perkins
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:28 am

Morph wrote:
Fairy Flycatcher wrote:BTW, a radio station licence cannot be issued if you have a portable radio. Only for built-in radios. For portable radio's, you require a radio licence (not the same as radio operating certificate), which is issued by ICASA as well, but does not have the aircraft registration on it, but rather the owners' name and general geographical area of use...
This is an ongoing debate. I spoke to ICASA and was informed that if you have a radio, portable or not, if it is installed, wired, plugged in to an aircraft then you require the Radio Station licence. Now plugging the ptt is is considered enough. If it is in your hand, your bakkie, etc and actually portable then just a radio licence applies. I think the cost is the same, so I am going to err on the side of CAA requirements and stick with the Radio Station.
If it works for you, that is perfect, but remember, there are a few of us nutters who fly the same radio in a number of different aircraft... CAA will not accept you flying with a radio station licence for ZU-ABC in ZU-DEF?

Besides... you don't need a radio in your NTCA....

If you have a radio, you need a licence for it, but if you don't...
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:33 am

Hi guys, just to clear up 2 items on Morphs list.

1. Radio Station Licence - yes.

This is a document issued by ICASA, and is a legal requirement if you have a permanent radio installation. In other words, it is not portable, you cannot remove it from the aircraft. It is a permanent fixture, and is part of the instrument list of the aircraft. Now, if you have such an installation, then you have to have a current certificate for it, and this you must submit to CAA for your Renewal of Auth to Fly. And you must carry this certificate (or a certified copy) on the plane. Klaar.

2. Radio Licence

This is a licence you obtain from ICASA for a hand held unit, like the Icom A4, A3, A5 etc., etc., It is a legal requirement to have this licence if you own any radio which can transmit. You don't have to be a pilot to own an Airband Radio, but you do need the licence.

This licence does not have to be in the name of the Pilot flying the aircraft fitted with the portable unit. It is in the name of the owner of the radio.

And if you are going for a flight with NO radio (permanent or portable), then you do NOT need the ICASA certificate.

Now, as you have correctly noted, radio's are not compulsory items on microlights, so unless you have an aircraft that is fitted with a permanent radio, you do NOT have to have the certificate from ICASA on the aircraft.

You don't even need to submit a copy for Renewal of Auth to fly.....

It's all there, on page 4 of this thread.. I said something about a 'free state farmer' I think..

Now I'll throw another curve-ball at you..... There is a section of Airlaw which deals with cross counry flying..... go read it. Cross country flight only starts 20Nm radius from point of departure........ you don't need a compass for any local flight... I think I mentioned this in my original post in any case( where CAA tried grounding - actually did give me notice of grounding, - and then had to apologise and withdraw the grounding when I proved the law to them. It was for a microlight on my school fleet that did NOT have a compass) .... And you don't have to have any Nav log and planning for a local flight either... ja, I know, it goes on, and on, and on, and on..... gemors hey!!

I'm not suggesting you take off and go fly-about without at least doing some rudimentary weather checks, and if new to an area, some airspace restrictions/local rules etc., etc.,

And we actually sat back and let all these laws creep into our lives, without doing zilch, zip, nada......Aish:(

Cheers mate.
David Daniel
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:27 am

Morph and Lamercyfly,

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to draw up this comprehensive list. Will definitely be printing this out, so that I am armed for those clowns from CAA. All I can say is if they don't even know what the law says, how the hell are we supposed to know. It's quite unacceptable that they have been making demands that are not required for NTCA.

PS: What's the concensus with the fire proof plate. Is this required for NTCA?
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
CFD
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

WARNING to all!

Postby CFD » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:28 am

CAA are taking the 'ramp check list seriously! Inspectors visited Morningstar to carry out these checks and this poster was caught flying without some of the required items on board - right down to those signal strips!

I guess they are only doing their job and now I await the outcome - possible retraction of licence! So guys this is serious - MAKE SURE YOU COMPLY!
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Re: WARNING to all!

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:31 am

CFD wrote:CAA are taking the 'ramp check list seriously! Inspectors visited Morningstar to carry out these checks and this poster was caught flying without some of the required items on board - right down to those signal strips!

I guess they are only doing their job and now I await the outcome - possible retraction of licence! So guys this is serious - MAKE SURE YOU COMPLY!
Are you flying NTCA?

If so, what did you not have on board?

Because a lot of things are not required for Gyro, Home-Built, Microlight, etc (as per Morph's list above),

It could be that the CAA inspectors were NOT doing their job, as they don't know their job :evil:
Annie
www.comefly.co.za