Greg Perkins
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Re: Ramp Inspection List

Postby lamercyfly » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:20 pm

Hi folk.

Trust you are all well.

I have not been active for a while, but would like to help with this speculative debate.

Please note the following is my interpretation of the law. If I am incorrect , please correct me, with the correctly quoted legislation. Thanks.

1. RADIO LICENCES - either for the station(aircraft - if a fixture) or for a portable

It is a legal requirement, that in terms of ICASA promulgated laws, you require a radio licence if you use a radio, and it is found on your aircraft. Either as a permanent fixture, or as a portable hand-held plugged into your comm systems or otherwise.

However, CAA Autho to Fly section, MAY NOT refuse you an authority to fly if you do NOT submit an ICASA receipt with your renewal or initial application for an Autho To Fly document. They are trying this trick....

CAR's, Operation of Non Type Certified Aircraft, Subpart 4: Communication and Navigation Equipment. 94.04.1 (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of Regulation 91.05.1 of these regulations (that's where it states that radio's are needed under certain airspaces etc., ), the PRESCRIBED COMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT IS NOT REQUIRED for aircraft operated in Class G airspace under VFR.

There you have it. So, if you operate on about 98% of SA airspace, namely class G, you don't require a radio on a NTCA, and therefore CANNOT be forced by CAA to produce an ICASA certificate.

Now, off course, if you wish to strap a radio onto your plane and you do not have a licence for that radio, and you get bust, well that's your problem.......

But, if you are a farmer in the Norther Cape, and you just fly around your cabbage patch, then don't let CAA bulls*#t you...

2.Logbooks and POH(pilots operating handbooks - we call them pilots manuals in NTCA)

2.1 CAR's, Operation of Non Type Certified Aircraft, Subpart 3: Documentation and Records. 94.03.1(7)
(d). Provide the flight crew (ie pilot) with their own personal copy OF THE SECTIONS of the operations manual which are relevant to the duties assigned to them. my comments is that this means you only need the page or section on flight performance data if you fly a trike, or the additional section under mass and balance etc., if fixed wing. This is all you need. NOT the entire aircraft manual, which in the case of an Aquilla trike for example, is an A4 hard back file. In part 103 of the CAR's, microlights are specifically exempted from carrying the up to date owners manual

(f) Keep the operators manual in a safe place. my comment is that keeping the POH on the aircraft can hardly be interpreted as keeping it in a safe place. Actually, I'd like to think that on my aerie is actually the safest place :lol: :lol:

2.2 CAR's, General Maintenance Rules (part 43), Preservation of Logbooks. 43.01.4 (2) Logbooks shall preferably NOT be carried in the aircraft to which they relate.....unless there is no other means of transporting them to the place of maintenance etc.,......

Compasses

OK now I am going to start abbreviating things.

General operating Rules Subpart 4

flight, navigation and associated equipment for aircraft operated under VFR 91.04.4 No owner or operator of an aircraft shall operate the aircraft in accordance with VFR unless such aircraft is equipped with -
(a) magnetic compass

Subpart 5 Communication and Navigation equipment

Navigation Equipment 91.05.2 (1) No owner or operator of an aircraft shall operate the aircraft unless such aircraft is equippped with navigation equipment enabling it to proceed in accordance with its flight plan.... Provided that the provisions of this regulation shall not apply to flights operated in accordance with VFR, if such flights can be accomplished by visual reference to landmarks.

What this means is that if I do a VFR, below 1499feet AGL flight around South Africa, and I stay in class G airspace, I don't need a radio nor do I need a compass if I am going to fly by following roads from one town to the next :!:

I also know that from personal experience, when we had one of our microlights grounded at an Annual School Inspection, because it did not have a compass on, that on receipt of my official written objection to such grounding, the grounding was withdrawn. The reason I argued was that a compass is only required on Cross Country flights, and this microlight was used for circuit and GFA training.

So, if you only fly locally, and dont really leave the cabbage patch, you do NOT require a compass on board your microlight.

First Aid Kit, signal strips, fire extinguishers etc.,

Operation of Microlights Part 103

Subpart 2: Operating rules Equipment 103.02.5

No owner or pilot-in-command of a microlight aeroplance shall operate such microlight aeroplance unless it is equipped with the equipment as prescribed in Cocuments SA-CATS-OPS 103

SA-CATS-OPS 103.02.5 EQUIPMENT .

a microlight aeroplane must be equipped with -
(1) a seat with an approved safety belt for each person on board
(2)a map which covers the complete route of the proposed flight
(3) in the case of flight above 3000 feet mean sea level, one altimeter, and (personally I don't understand what above sea level has got to do with this. Just another example of a stupid law)
(4) in the case of over water a life jacket (para 4 abbreviated by myself).....

this applies to all microlights, fixed wing and trikes. There is no law as yet for LSA. Will wait and see...........

So now, you decide. This section 103 is specifically written for microlights, and acts as the exemption from all the other laws of operation which apply to other types, both blik aeries and NTCA. I am trying to find when 103 was or still is to be promulgated.

As far as the above laws are concerned, all you need on your microlight is the following:

Stay below 1500 feet AGL and in uncontrolled class G airspace

1. A seat with a seat belt
2. An AVI Map book - got all the maps of SA in it

That's it. And oh, before I forget, for those low flights over Harties a Lifejacket :lol: :lol:

These then are just fome facts to help get direction to this topic, and to help you and your AP not get messed around by CAA

Regards.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks Dave

the problem is still, CAA are doing the inpections, are grounding aircraft and are refusing to process ATF if these are not in place, I am one of them waiting. ## ## :twisted:
Greg Perkins
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi Morph.

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

What are your problems. Let me know either on this forum or private email comefly@mweb.co.za

Really, if they have no grounds, it's just one quick call to the ministers secretary, she puts it onto the departments legal team, and within 24 hours problem solved...... I mean it. I've done it before..... problem solved. The ministers legal team take no k*k from CAA.

Cheers.
David Daniel
Newguy
Learning to fly
Learning to fly

Postby Newguy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Very interesting and informative. It certainly clears up a lot of the b/s I have been hearing from the old bullets. Particularly since you have quoted the act. ( Just shows that around some bars all that experience might just be one experience all those times :lol: )
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:45 pm

Back to this same old story

Today 2 inspectors from CAA raided Morning Star, and did a number of inspections

Now we can debate this crap for eternity but this is what they demanded

1. your licence and medical, it must be signed by yourself on the front and 2nd page or it is invalid. Being up to date also helps
2. A full list as per the ramp inspection list in the first message of this thread including
a. Pilot Operators Handbook
b. copy of registration and ATF, Mass and Balance and equipment list
c. Radio Station licence
d. FLight Folio
c. Compass card
d. Stainless Steel plate with aircraft registration, make, model and serial number

Emergency equipment
a. medical aid kit as per the regulations, not just any medical aid kit
b. Signal Strips
c. Fire Extinguisher

There is literally no debate about this stuff. All the posts regarding the old regulations about what microlights used to be able to carry mean squat. Abide by the provided ramp inspection list or don't fly.

The worst is that one of the inspectors came in under the pretense of being a friend. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Greg Perkins
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi folk.

If the aircraft in question were microlights, then the individual concerned can take CAA to the cleaners........

I quoted the laws.....

What the individual wants to do with the information I gave is up to him..

I know what I would do..

If what happened caused me emotional distress
if what happened caused me embarrassment in front of my colleagues and friends
if what happened was outside of the law.....

...man, oh man, I would give my front teeth for some clot from CAA to come and do that to me.......

Don't capitulate. Give Adv Sarel Bekker a call. He will put you on the right track.....

Regards.
David Daniel
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Where do these inspectors come up with all this? I had one at Fisantekraal wanting to know where my fire extinguisher was in my gyro?

They seem to be applying certified a/c requirements on NTCA. Surely one can ask that they point out the pertaining piece of legislation to substantiate their demands.

Should we not take this up with CAA, saying their inspectors are making incorrect demands?
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
Tracer
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby Tracer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi Guys,

Silly question, where does RAASA fit into all of this? Is this outside their jurisdiction, or can they not assist with this?

Of this list there are three things I don't have..... Fire Extinguisher, Signal strips, compass swing card. (and my medical kit doesn't have splints, way to big to fit anywhere on a trike). Would these missing items allow them to ground me as well?
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:49 pm

Yes CAA Say you are illegal. (added to clarify my statement - Morph)

But yes if you operate an aircraft, these are the minimum requirements, microlight, gyro, glider, GA, Commercial etc, the requirement is the same. The only exception is we do not require an axe since our aircraft is under 5700kg According to CAA (added to clarify my statement - Morph)
Greg Perkins
grostek
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby grostek » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:56 pm

David Daniel has provided a "map" to follow if you feel you have been unjustly treated.

If you feel strongly about it, then follow the "map".

If enough people do this then CAA will jack up their staff.

just my 2c worth.

Kind regards,

Gunter Rostek
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Morph,

I am not to up to date with the latest CATS and CARS. Can you, or anyone else point out the exact reference, or even quote where it specifically states that gyro's must carry a fire extinguisher, and a signal kit? Are the CAA imposing this based on certified aircraft requirements?

Just because the CAA inspector issues demands, doesn't mean he is correct. These people need to back up their demands by carrying copies of the CATS and CARS to show the "perpetrators" where they are breaking the law. I would have no problem with this requirement if someone can show me this in writing.
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:36 pm

I don't have my airlaw book with me now (the red one) but is all in there and the references are generic to all aircraft supposedly.
Greg Perkins
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Morph wrote:...the references are generic to all aircraft supposedly.

In my flying career, I need things to be in black and white, so I would be keen to find out where this is actually listed as a requirement, for a gyro, in my case (ie. fire extinguisher,signal strips etc).
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:52 pm

CATS OPS 91.04.21

An owner or operator may not operate an aircraft unless hand fire extinguishers
are provided for use in flight crew, passenger and, as applicable, cargo compartments
and galleys in accordance with the following: ($$) ($$) ($$)

Later they specify a minimum of 1 extinguisher is required for aircraft that seat up to a maximum of 7 to 30 passengers. So in our case of 1 pilot and 1 pax it appears we need to provide 1

the medical aid kit is very specific as well

91.04.16 STANDARD FIRST AID KIT
1. Standard first aid kits
(1) The following must be included in the first aid kit:
(a) Bandage (unspecified);
(b) burns dressings (unspecified);
(c) wound dressings, large and small;
(d) adhesive tape, safety pins and scissors;
(e) small adhesive dressings;
(f) antiseptic wound cleaner;
(g) adhesive wound closures;
(h) adhesive tape;
(i) disposable resuscitation aid;
(j) simple analgesic e.g. paracetamol;
(k) antiemetic e.g. cinnarizine;
(l) nasal decongestant;
(m) first aid handbook;
(n) splints, suitable for upper and lower limbs;
(o) gastrointestinal antacid +;
(p) anti-diarrhoeal medication e.g. loperamide +;
(q) ground/air visual signal code for use by survivors;
(r) disposable glove; and
(s) a list of contents in at least 2 languages (English and one other). This should include information on the effects and side effects of drugs carried.
Notes:
1. An eye irrigator whilst not required to be carried in the first aid kit should, where possible, be available for use on the ground.
2. + indicates aircraft with more than 9 passenger seats installed.
(2) Unless the standard first aid kit is clearly visible, its location must be indicated by a placard or sign, and appropriate symbols may be used to supplement the placard or sign.
(3) An owner or operator must ensure that the standard first aid kit is readily

So check your kit out. I know they have had problems with kits not having splints etc.

and finally a fireproof plate must be mounted on the dash with the following

• Name of the constructor or manufacturer;
• Aircraft type and model;
• Aircraft registration letters and serial or build number;
• Engine make and model
Greg Perkins