Ramp Inspection List

Matters of general interest
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Ramp Inspection List

Postby Morph » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:27 am

Rob,

all my posts have been generic, but slanted towards the LSA. Look back over my last few posts to get all the detail
Greg Perkins
rod smith
Ready for the first flight

Postby rod smith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:23 pm

Thanks, Morph

I have compiled a list, based largely on yours and ignoring the obvious, like having to have an ASI and and altimeter. I think that I am accurate enough to pass any ramp inspection except for one or two minor issues like weight and balance data. I have gone through the CATS and CARS on the RAASA site, but nothing is listed there. I shall have to ask if anyone knows how a new aerie is affected by this. Ours is fourteen months old and came with no W@B info at all. I'll try the Cheetah forum to see what other owners have if there is no answer forthcoming,

Rod Smith

PS
May I also add my name to the list of people who have expressed appreciation for your work in this connection.
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:37 pm

CAA should have a copy of the last W&B on your file. It only needs to be done every 5 years or if the plane has been though a rebuild or accident. Maybe they can fax you that page. Speak to Braam Hector at 011 545 1396

The previous owner should have it on record in the logbook as well. Otherwise you are going to have to have it reweighed.

Speak to the factory to get the spreadhsheet. I have a generic spreadsheet, but I don't have the details of the datum, ARM's (distances to the front and rear wheels, seats, fuel etc etc ) and the safe cg specification. If you can get those figures we can drop them into the spreadsheet
Attachments
cog generic.XLS
(38 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Greg Perkins
V
Whats the right frequency?

Self-made Flight Folio

Postby V » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Morph,

could you please post the electronic form (word, oowriter, pdf, etc.) of the self-made flight-folio of yours from the post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8280&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ... 90#p101290 in this thread?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

V.
rod smith

Postby rod smith » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:00 pm

Thanks, Morph

I shall try the factory and the CAA. I met Braam and Piet the other day when I went to effect the authority to Fly. They were helpful and pleasant in every way.

The Owners Manual gives the datum point and mentions that the forward and rear limits of the C of G are behind this point, but then supplies nothing else at all. There is also nothing in the log books and other material. But it is a new aircraft, at fourteen months, so the factoey should be able to help.

Rod
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Self-made Flight Folio

Postby Morph » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:43 am

V wrote:Morph,

could you please post the electronic form (word, oowriter, pdf, etc.) of the self-made flight-folio of yours from the post viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8280&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ... 90#p101290 in this thread?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

V.
Attachments
Flight Folio A5 Final.pdf[1].pdf
(23.09 KiB) Downloaded 766 times
Greg Perkins
V

Postby V » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:57 pm

Thanks Morph for posting the folio doc!

Cheers,

V.
rod smith

Postby rod smith » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:23 pm

Thanks, Morph, from me too!

I spent a while yesterday constructing a Flight Folio page, only to wake up later to yours. Yours is much better in its construction. (I am still working on the C of G issue. Your page for thid looks good, as well.)

Rod Smith
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:03 am

Now the CAA has revoced the reocation of our mates ATF. On the grounds that the list is applicable to Type Certifieds only. Now WTF has all the fuss been about?? :twisted:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:13 am

I have updated the weight and balance form to the exact one CAA accept. Fill in your weights and arm lengths. The manufacturer should be able to give you the acceptable C Of G range measurements
Attachments
Weight and Balance CAA Version.xls
(24.5 KiB) Downloaded 565 times
Greg Perkins
MADALA
Passed radio course
Passed radio course

Postby MADALA » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:28 pm

After a short flight with my Savannah this morning i was inspected by two caa manne,Piet Viviers and Danny Rost.

All went well exept for the certificate to release to service ,which i dont think is applicable to zu aircraft,and they were pleasant guys to meet.

Thanks to you guys for the info on this forum,it saved my ass.
Ou Man
Survived first engine out
Survived first engine out

Postby Ou Man » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Morph,
What is "arm length"?
I believe I can fly...even touch the sky
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:15 pm

Ou Man wrote:Morph,
What is "arm length"?
The manufacturer of the aircraft select a specific datum on the aircraft as reference point for the cog. Then all the weights is measured as "distance from datum". This is called the arm or arm length. From this the manufacturer will determine the safety envelope in which the aircraft will be loaded to be operated safely.

Hope this help.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:29 am

Exactly,

the manufacturer defines the datum, i.e. a common point that is used as the starting point in all the measurements. In the case of the Bushbaby, you have to put it into a flying attitude, i.e. wing tips level. Drop a plumbline down from the leading edge of the wing and this is your datum. All measurements are done from this point

Positive values are behind (towards the back of the aircraft) and negative values are ahead (to the front) of this point

The ARM is the distance from this datum to the item being measured, usually the three wheels, then the fuel tanks, seating and luggage areas
The MOMENT is the weight X ARM length measured at these points of measurement.

You weigh the aircraft on all three wheels. If you only have one scale then the other 2 wheels need to be lifted up using blocks to ensure that the aircraft maintains this flying attitude. This is critical, even a slight angle will throw the measurements off.

Then you add the other weights. Fuel weighs about 0.71KG per liter

The manufacturer will give you the safe CG range, i.e. 268mm to 373mm aft of the datum for the Bush Baby.

Experiment with the max and minimum realistic loads, i.e. there will always be at least 1 person in the plane, and see that you remain safe. In other words work out a starting CofG with 1 person, full fuel, max luggage. Then work it out with minimum fuel as if you are at the end of a journey and check if you remain safe. The CG normally moves forward during a flight.

Next do the same at MAUW, i.e. including PAX etc.
Greg Perkins
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:53 pm

As far as I am aware, the ATF of a non type is it's Release to Service (**)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil: