Ramp Inspection List

Matters of general interest
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Re: Ramp Inspection List

Postby Morph » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:41 am

The fact that CAA and Misasa are in discussions regarding some of these items is one thing, but my understanding is until the law is actually changed to specify these requirements the current law remains in place. How can Misasa be dicussing to get things exempted when in fact they currently are. So based on the current law and to prevent confusion I have added my comments below. I know I am being pedantic, but I would like CAA to come back with the correct ramp inspection requirement and back it up with the correct CATS/CARS paragraphs.
alanmack wrote: So what do you need? My understanding is the following:

- Registration certificate (a post card normally found in your log book) - yes
- Authority to Fly - Certified copy
- Log Books - Flight Folio A5 / ( The old version is still ok but the new version will be required soon?) ? Note: that the Airframe Logbook may not be in the aircraft (Volume: CA 21-27 A) - Discussions are being held around the fact that the books that we were referred to the Govt Printers for purchase are large and not practical for a trike. FLight Folio if you can safely store it otherwise exempt 94.06.7(1) (a)
- If the trike is a school trike then you need a 3rd party certificate. The authority for this is being challenged. n/a to the average flyer
- Certified copy of your Restricted Radio Operators Licence. What is this? In your MPL licence there is a line Radio Telephony: Here must be a number if you have a recent licence or if your licence was obtained some time ago it will just read R- (for restricted) This is your personal operators licence and should be with your Pilots licence. However this is NOT on any of the previous ramp inpsection lists-
Radio Licence issued by ICASA or at least a receipt from the Post Office that you have paid. R380 for each radio (even a hand held radio) you own in the 1st year of registration and R48 pa thereafter. This matter is currently under scrutiny as a result of some teenagers using an aviation radio to disrupt aviation traffic. -Yes required
-1.2kg Aviation (Haylon) Fire Extinguisher. This matter is under deliberation with the CAA by MISASA who is seeking an exemption for microlights. Law says Haylon but for now nothing or 600g non-Haylon can is recommended for trikes. - Currently not required Exempted under 94.06.7 (1)
- First Aid Kit that is dated and expiry date of all in the kit is marked on the products. This matter is under deliberation with the CAA by MISASA who is seeking an exemption for microlights as the specification renders the kit too big to be practical for microlights. For now some form of basic kit is acceptable but this is not in strict compliance with the law. One of everything vs two of everything is being debated. - Not required Exempted under 94.06.7 (1)
- I'm not sure what you call it but basically it is the two paged notam 91.0629 - it is the "hand signals" for planes eg what does it mean if a plane "waggles" it's wings etc and what light signal could be used by an ATC etc. They are often referred to as the identification and interception signals charts.
- Signalling strips for ground use. Again this is under deliberation as the required versions are too big and heavy - for now carry a space blanket and a scirrors to cut strips. Not required currently exempted under 94.06.7 (1)
- You must have a compass. This matter is under deliberation with the CAA by MISASA who is seeking an exemption for microlights re having an annual compass swing certification done. A GPS may be acceptable as a compass - again this is being deliberated. - Yes
- An altimeter electronic or analog that you can set re the QNH - yes
- You must have a Radio with some exceptions eg if you stay low and remain within 15km of your base you may not need one. Radios are highly recommended by MISASA. - Yes
- Pilots licence, medical certificate, list of type ratings or certified copies thereof. - yes
- A release to service : this is a stamp in the flight folio that the plane has had an annual inspection - Yes, normally in the logbook.
- An inspection reminder eg the sticker that was sent with the last magazine. In the flight folio if you are carrying one
- Pilots check list - start up and pretake-off check list. Owners version is acceptable. in the POH if you are carrying one
- Approved mass and balance sheet done within 5yrs. - Yes
- Equipment list of instrumentation on the plane eg altimeter, compass, fuel gauge, etc In the POH if you are carrying one
- Approved aircraft flight manual. Aircraft Registration and Aircraft Serial Number must be on the cover. Must be a CAA stamp on the manual or you must have a letter certifying that the manual is approved. To get this fax the first 3 pages to the CAA they will then fax/post a letter back. - If you are carrying one
- Map of the area on the aircraft. yes

The following requirements for an Annual Inspection may be checked
- fuel tank must be marked - re Octane rating eg AVGAS/MOGAS written on the tank - New requirement CATS/CARS paragraph? Besides all Rattex powered planes can take either
- Air speed indicator must be marked re flap speed (n/a for trikes), Cruise speed (green line) & VNE (red line / never exceed) If you have one, currently they are not a requirement as per 94.06.7(c)
-Switches must be marked re what it is and the on position - Accepted
- Temp and pressures gauges must be marked re normal operating temperatures - accepted if you have them currently not required as per 94.06.7(c)

Greg Perkins
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:13 am

What a load of bull!!

Here is my list for my trike: (Remember, I can't carry anything extra as I do not have panier bags)

Registration certificate
ATF
Radio lisence
Compass (Do I need a swing?? Or will GPS do??)
Altimeter
Radio
Pilot lisence, medical, list of ratings
Mass and Balance (Where do I get one, CAA??)
Map

If that is it, I am not overweight any more!! vhpy vhpy
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
bluesmancoops
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bluesmancoops » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 am

Wargames wrote:If that is it, I am not overweight any more!! vhpy vhpy
you are but the trike isn't (**)
Mike Cooper
Flying is not a hobby it is an addiction
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Aaaaah DAMN..... and all we ever wanted to do was: JUST FLY :!: :!: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:59 am

Bobman on Avcom wrote:I was one of the Morningstar aircraft owners that that was examined by the two CAA gentleman.My Licence was not signed on the 2nd page....My error.
To put the record strait they were polite and acted in a pleasant non agressive manner, at all times,while examining my aircraft and documentation.I was alone with them and no other parties present.......I cannot believe what I am reading .No more comment.
Just to clarify matters, I, me Morph, was not harassed by the CAA inspectors and nor did I use the word. They inspected two other planes. Bobman's and another that has now had it's ATF revoked due to failing the ramp test which includes but not restricted to the items that are exempted like medical aid kits and fire extinguishers.I suspect this person will have different opinion to Bobman's

We do have Braam Hechter who handles registrations and ATF's at CAA visiting Morning Star tommorow evening for a non-formal social and talk, and hopefully he can clarify matters for us.
Greg Perkins
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:17 am

I also want to make something clear, I am not in any way got it in for the CAA inspectors and the ramp Inspections they need to do. The whole focus of this discussion is to try to clarify, in no uncertain terms, what is in fact the legal requirement. Right now, as it appears, the current ramp inspection list demands items that are NOT a legal requirement and therefore not enforceable. As such, withdrawing an ATF due to non-compliance of these NON-enforceable items is illegal. I am not talking about the specifics of this incident, but rather generally.

The idea is to get to a situation that empowers every aircraft owner, being subjected to a ramp inspection in it's current form, to defend their non-compliance of non-enforceable items.

I have no comments about the other airfields that have also had visits and their experiences, just taking note
Greg Perkins
bluesmancoops
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby bluesmancoops » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 am

I'm looking foreward to chatting to Braam to sort this whole fiasco out
Mike Cooper
Flying is not a hobby it is an addiction
FO Gyro
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FO Gyro » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:42 am

Well done Morph for taking the effort to bring some clarification to the issue.

I must say that I am a bit disappointed with some of the CAA inspectors that have been making requests for certain equipment, when it looks like they are incorrect. Is this the standard of aviation that the CAA are aiming for?

Reminds me of the case of the CAA inspector that grounded a turbine twin engined aircraft a few years ago. She saw them putting Jet A-1 into the turbine twin and grounded it because she thought only Avgas goes into prop jobs! Incredible!
Glenn Poley
ex ZU-AWE Windlass Trike
ex ZU-AOA VPM M16 Gyro
ex ZU-BPU Sycamore Gyro
ex ZU-ATC VPM M16 with Rotax 914 Gyro
ex ZU-GJP MT-03 Gyro
ex ZU-NPC RV9A
ZU-RJR Magni M24 Orion Gyro
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:31 pm

We do have Braam Hechter who handles registrations and ATF's at CAA visiting Morning Star tommorow evening for a non-formal social and talk, and hopefully he can clarify matters for us.

Uhm, is he going to be restricted to the clubhouse?
vernon11
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby vernon11 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:35 pm

If Braam does clear it up, please let us know. To my mind Braam is the only one who will go out of his way to do so.
fly safe.
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:34 pm

thanks Morph, now we are talking the same language...

And FO Gyro, yeah, I remember that one. Was a lady from CAA if I remember correctly.. was in PE... The entire industry had a good laugh at CAA on that one :lol:

Looking forward to a report back re the morningstar social..

Cheers.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:12 am

Feedback from last night's meeting with Braam Hechter and Piet Fourie.

Braam opened the talk in general terms about CAA, the problems they are having with their telephone systems and how the storing and retrieval of files is carried out. They are only allowed to draw 5 files at a time and they work with the physical documents only instead of scanned. With this I can understand why sometimes things take time. Andre, Braam and Piet are responsible for the entire 5500 NTCA population on their own.

We then went on to the specifics of the ramp inspections

Braam stated that CAA have taken a stance to educate rather than punish, hence his visit to the various clubs and airfields. He didn't come to inpect any planes. Following on from the spate of accidents last year they at CAA are on a drive to make the sport safer for all. He cited two specific gyro crashes that involved fires and resulted in two deaths and one lady terribly burned and mentioned that in both of these cases things would have been different if there were fire extinguishers on board. Now although there is an existing exemption (94.06.7), CAA are recommending that where possible all aircraft should carry a fire extinguisher. We looked at different models and there is a 0.6kg Dry Powder unit available for around R100 from Builders Warehouse, that they are happy with. In fact any automotive one will do. We can discuss at length letting one of those off in a closed cockpit, but I would think rather perform the correct steps of shutting off all electrics or fuel and performing a precautionary landing, then put the fire out. Many trike pilots fly with those puncture repair aerosol cans attached to one of the undercarraige legs so why not an extinguisher.

As far as medical kits are concerned they are aware that the specification calls for a fairly hefty kit. They said your typical kit available for cars or those sold by camping/outdoor outlets are more that sufficient. Just not a small bag with 2 plasters and a Disprin. The camping ones usually have straps for tying onto a bag, and these can perhaps be attached to a trike somewhere. Once again there is an exemption in place regarding this, but you the day you really need it you are going to be happy it is not at home in the hangar.

Documentation wise
In closed cockpit there are no excuses. You need the POH and a flight folio. I combined mine into a single A5, ringbound Document. Once you have filled a page in the flight folio then tear it out, take it home, transfer it to your logbook. Keep the pages in the back of your logbook. Oh and number each page. So you don't need a whole book, just the current page of the flight folio. You must have your certified copies of your ATF, Registration Card, Radio Station Licence or receipt from the Post Office if you haven't got it back from ICASA yet, Mass and Balance. If you are on a trike and there is limited space a copy of your aircrafts specs wrt performance, stall speeds etc instead of the whole POH.

Compass card. If you have a compass it has to be swung once a year and noted in your logbook. You need the card filled in including the date of the last time the swing was performed. It does not have to be stamped or signed by an AP

So basically, they came hat in hand and have asked us all to help make the sport safer. The inspectors are supposed to approach inspections in a friendly informative manner. They will listen to reason, but expect a level of effort from our side as well. Don't just refuse to carry a medical kit or an extinguisher, suggest alternatives if possible. The inspectors themselves will not ground aircraft, the decision remains with Andre Swanepoel, Braam Hechter or Piet Fourie and they are more than open to listen to reason.

Their email addresses are SwanepoelA, HechterA and FourieF @caa.co.za

Oh by the way if you built your own aircraft you are allowed the sign off your own inspections. Instead of the AP stamp in the logbook, you sign as Owner Builder. It would be better to have an independant AP of course
Attachments
IMG_0004.jpg
Flight folio pages
IMG_0004.jpg (34.49 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
IMG_0003.jpg
POH
IMG_0003.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
IMG_0002.jpg
Medical Kit showing straps
IMG_0002.jpg (68.7 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
IMG_0001.jpg
Medical Kit
IMG_0001.jpg (50.6 KiB) Viewed 4060 times
Greg Perkins
gertcoetzee
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby gertcoetzee » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks Morph. Clears up a lot of confusion.

I see for renewal of license you now need an instructor to sign you off (long document) - correct?
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:40 pm

Yes
Greg Perkins
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:37 pm

You need a flight test. It's not just a question of sighning the papers.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success