Ramp Inspection List

Matters of general interest
kloot piloot
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Re: Ramp Inspection List

Postby kloot piloot » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:47 pm

Dave, thanks for all the law information.

I agree that these CAA "inspectocrats" should be suspended with immediate effect. It is them who are wreaking havoc amongst us ! Phone the commissioner and name them and shame them.

What Morph experienced is nothing short of harrassment, and in the heat of the moment it must be difficult to throw the book at the inspectocrats. You beleive you do things by the book, untill some cop wants to fine you for holding a Coke can whilst driving.

Send the inspectocrats to Brits. I will arrange a "welcoming party" for them. We have plenty pilots there who are BIG BUSHVELD farmers ! I am sure their visit will be very short, or very very long ! ##

My vote Dave: Have them grounded, irespective of race, sex, colour, size or IQ !
Roel Jansen
Never say: "I should have ..."
ZU-IAR powered by BMW 1200
grosvenor
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby grosvenor » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:48 pm

Morph wrote:The only exception is we do not require an axe since our aircraft is under 5700kg According to CAA (added to clarify my statement - Morph)
Morph, this is why you get harassed. Carry an axe in future and you can be sure they will keep more than an arm's length from you. :twisted: :twisted:
Dave
Dave Grosvenor
www.dreamwings.co.za
A-22 Foxbat, SportStar, Allegro, GRS chutes
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 am

There are a couple of documents on the ICAO website, detailing how inspectors should behave:

The following is an extract from the ICAO Airworthiness Inspector Manual. Does CAA not have to comply with ICAO?
1.3.1.2 Airworthiness Inspectors (AWI’s) must not only have the knowledge,
experience and qualifications to carry out their duties in a professionally
sound manner, but also possess the personality to win the respect and
confidence of the operators. This would require a reasonable level of tact,
understanding, firmness, impartiality, integrity and an exemplary personal
conduct both in the office and at the Operator’s premises.
1.3.1.3 There are two basic grades of Airworthiness inspectors:
1.3.1.3.1 Maintenance:- Experienced Licensed maintenance engineers who may
have a lower level of academic qualifications but a high level of
practical experience on the job, and
1.3.1.3.2 Engineering:- College graduates who have passed a recognised
engineering degree in the required discipline and have some
experience in design and engineering modification and repair offices
1.3.3.4 The Airworthiness Inspectors should also have the following qualifications.
(a) In all cases, they must have successfully completed a CAA approved Basic
Course for Airworthiness Inspectors. (Note: CAAs should arrange for the
recently inducted AWIs to successfully complete a Basic AWI Course before
utilising the AWI on Inspector Job Functions).
BASIC COURSE I content;
· Civil aviation rules and regulations
· Initial certification of air operators – AOC/AMO issue procedures,
· Introduction to Continuing Airworthiness,
· Engineering modification/repair procedures,
· Facilities and equipment inspection,
· Maintenance record keeping systems,
· Ramp inspection of an operator’s aircraft,
· Company (maintenance) Manual,
· MSG I, II, & III maintenance programs.
The above and more are ICAO requirements for the following:
2. Ramp Checks
2.1 Documents on board
2.2 Emergency equipments on board.
2.3 Compliment of cabin crew
2.4 External check by crew member
2.5 Release to service by appropriate person
2.6 Use of MEL/ Deferred defect
2.7 Release for special operation like ETOPS, RVSM, Cat II or III etc.
Although the credentials contain the general authorization for the inspector to conduct
CAA work functions, specified work functions may only be performed after the inspector
has been authorized by an appropriate supervisor and has satisfied the training and
qualification requirements specified in this handbook. The work functions for the two
credentials are as follows:
A. CAA Inspector Credential. The CAA Inspector credential identifies an individual
as an “authorised Person” for the purposes of Rule XXXXX (Specify Rule) of the
Civil Aviation Rules/Regulations and authorises that individual to perform the
duties and exercise the powers under the rules. These official duties include the
conduct of ramp inspections..
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
grosvenor

Postby grosvenor » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 am

Interesting. I think you should add this to your post to CAA on Avcom, maybe Colin will take note. During a meeting with two CAA engineers late last year, I brought up the attitude of CAA inspectors. My feeling was that CAA could be a lot more proactive and approachable, and that way get more people to comply. For example, they could pitch up at an airfield or at a fly-in event with a table and chairs, dish out information sheets, discuss compliance with pilots, etc. Chances are the pilots would leave with a better attitude towards CAA and CAA might also get to understand some of the problems pilots face, like carrying some of this stuff on a trike. I was told that it wasn't CAA's job to educate pilots. The law is there for everyone to read and we should all simply comply!

So I stick with my policy of carrying an axe (I think there is a sub-clause that says a sawn-off shotgun is also ok). :twisted: :twisted:
Dave
Dave Grosvenor
www.dreamwings.co.za
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:33 am

grosvenor wrote: So I stick with my policy of carrying an axe (I think there is a sub-clause that says a sawn-off shotgun is also ok). :twisted: :twisted:
Dave
:lol: :lol: (^^)
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:15 pm

At the AP and instructors seminar, Cpt Jordaan was very specific in saying that CAA is not out to catch pilot's but to check and then educate them. I think these inspectors were NOT at that seminar.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
Morph
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby Morph » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:37 pm

Ok,

apart from Cpt Jordaan, who would be the best guy at CAA to talk to regarding this?
Greg Perkins
Tumbleweed
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Tumbleweed » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 pm

What type of inspectors did the inspections? (Politically correct)

I've been helped on my last 2 CAA visits with courtesy, efficiency, by highly experienced triker and ppl instructors/ Gyro agents/- Braam. Even went out of his way to certify an ATF copy. I can't see inspectors of their calibre tossing everyone around.

Maybe the RAASA rep or mag could do an interview and maybe get behind the precise trike/ mpl requirements. I'm never short of a barn fight but can't imagine these okes being so hostile.

Just counter-productive to withhold ATF's for strips, fire extinguishers, manuals and k@k.
Sling ZU FYE - For Your Entertainment
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:55 pm

I'm not sure that the "mag guy" should be answering these questions given the fact that I am neither an instructor nor an AP - but you asked for my reply (opinion?) above and I have had a private mail asking for a response from MISASA so here it is - for now it is not an official response just my unqualified opinion but with commentry on what is under deliberation with the CAA in respect of these matters.

It seems that with the advent of RAASA the CAA has more time on their hands and matters that were never before checked are now being called for. Alex Rudd / Deon Kraidy are in deliberation with the CAA on behalf of MISASA on a number of requirements that have a regulatory foundation but which are not suitable for / are unnecessary on a microlight.

As soon as deliberations are concluded the amended requirements will be posted on the MISASA website.

So what do you need? My understanding is the following:

- Registration certificate (a post card normally found in your log book)
- Authority to Fly
- Log Books - Flight Folio A5 / ( The old version is still ok but the new version will be required soon?) ? Note: that the Airframe Logbook may not be in the aircraft (Volume: CA 21-27 A) - Discussions are being held around the fact that the books that we were referred to the Govt Printers for purchase are large and not practical for a trike.
- If the trike is a school trike then you need a 3rd party certificate. The authority for this is being challenged.
- Certified copy of your Restricted Radio Operators Licence. What is this? In your MPL licence there is a line Radio Telephony: Here must be a number if you have a recent licence or if your licence was obtained some time ago it will just read R- (for restricted)
- Radio Licence issued by ICASA or at least a receipt from the Post Office that you have paid. R380 for each radio (even a hand held radio) you own in the 1st year of registration and R48 pa thereafter. This matter is currently under scrutiny as a result of some teenagers using an aviation radio to disrupt aviation traffic.
-1.2kg Aviation (Haylon) Fire Extinguisher. This matter is under deliberation with the CAA by MISASA who is seeking an exemption for microlights. Law says Haylon but for now nothing or 600g non-Haylon can is recommended for trikes.
- First Aid Kit that is dated and expiry date of all in the kit is marked on the products. This matter is under deliberation with the CAA by MISASA who is seeking an exemption for microlights as the specification renders the kit too big to be practical for microlights. For now some form of basic kit is acceptable but this is not in strict compliance with the law. One of everything vs two of everything is being debated.
- I'm not sure what you call it but basically it is the two paged notam 91.0629 - it is the "hand signals" for planes eg what does it mean if a plane "waggles" it's wings etc and what light signal could be used by an ATC etc. They are often referred to as the identification and interception signals charts.
- Signalling strips for ground use. Again this is under deliberation as the required versions are too big and heavy - for now carry a space blanket and a scirrors to cut strips.
- You must have a compass. This matter is under deliberation with the CAA by MISASA who is seeking an exemption for microlights re having an annual compass swing certification done. A GPS may be acceptable as a compass - again this is being deliberated.
- An altimeter electronic or analog that you can set re the QNH
- You must have a Radio with some exceptions eg if you stay low and remain within 15km of your base you may not need one. Radios are highly recommended by MISASA.
- Pilots licence, medical certificate, list of type ratings or certified copies thereof.
- A release to service : this is a stamp in the flight folio that the plane has had an annual inspection
- An inspection reminder eg the sticker that was sent with the last magazine.
- Pilots check list - start up and pretake-off check list. Owners version is acceptable.
- Approved mass and balance sheet done within 5yrs.
- Equipment list of instrumentation on the plane eg altimeter, compass, fuel gauge, etc
- Approved aircraft flight manual. Aircraft Registration and Aircraft Serial Number must be on the cover. Must be a CAA stamp on the manual or you must have a letter certifying that the manual is approved. To get this fax the first 3 pages to the CAA they will then fax/post a letter back.
- Map of the area on the aircraft.

The following requirements for an Annual Inspection may be checked
- fuel tank must be marked - re Octane rating eg AVGAS/MOGAS written on the tank
- Air speed indicator must be marked re flap speed (n/a for trikes), Cruise speed (green line) & VNE (red line / never exceed)
- Switches must be marked re what it is and the on position
- Temp and pressures gauges must be marked re normal operating temperatures

I think that's it

Fly safe
Alan Mackenzie

I got hold of Deon Kraidy - MISASA: Head of Training

These are his check lists:

Pilots check list - should vary per aircraft eg

Two (test controls throttle trim)

Many (mags master mixture)

Pilots (power)

Fly (fuel flaps)

In (instruments)

Heaven (harnesses hatches)

H: Height F: Fuel

A: Airframe R: Radio

S: Security E: Engine

D: Direction

E: Engine A: Altitude

L: Look, Location, Landing

RAMP INSPECTION LIST

1.Cert of Registration: In the flight folio

2.Cert of Airworthiness: In the Flight folio
3.Inspection Reminder: In the flight folio
4.Compass Card: on the compass
5.Pilot’s checklist: In the flight folio
6.Is the signal strips in the aircraft : N/a
7.Certificate of Release to Service available: ATF?
8.Radio station license available: In the flight folio
9. Approved Mass & Balance Sheet: In the flight folio
10.Equipment List: In the flight folio
12.SACAA Approved Aircraft Flight Manual: The flight folio
13.Is the flight folio correctly filled in: Yes
Check fight folio for outstanding defects: (If Yes What) ......
Is a Map of the area available Required
Is the Navigation Planning Log available ? what's this
Is first aid equipment dated and correctly stowed according to position decals: Yes
Is a Fire extinguisher available, valid and correctly stowed: Is this a requirement?
Is portable oxygen correctly stowed according to position decals: N/a fly below 12000ft
Are all emergency exits clearly marked and unobstructed - n/a
Does the crew have all the relevant personal documentation available:
1. Is your license valid and signed by the holder Pilot's licence
2. Is your medical valid - in Pilot's Licence
3. Do you have the type rating endorsed or on your file copy - In Pilot's licence
NEMO
I have now joined the ranks of wannabe pilots!
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:34 pm

Hi Alan and others.

Thank you for your input.

In views of the absolutly clear and concise CAR's and CAT's which I referenced for readers on page 4 of this topic, many of the items you mentioned in your notes are plainly in contradiction of these laws, and I fail to see why MISASA should be negotiating with CAA to do away with laws that actually are not in existence?

eg., 1. you state that you have to have a compass on board. This in not true. I even gave a personal incident where CAA had to withdraw their grounding of my school microlight after I pointed out the law to them. About the compass swing, I cannot say that I support MISASA's effort to have the annual compass swing done away with. If you want to have and use a compass on your aircraft, then best you swing it, otherwise it is not really going to do it's job very well, and you might as well just follow roads or features to make sure of where you are heading.

eg., 2. Fire extinguishers are not mandatory on microlights, neither are strips, nor first aid kits etc., etc., Just read CAR's and CAT's part 103. The heading of part 103 even reads Microlights Equipment List :lol: . I mean, how much easier can it be?

And I already have it from Daniel at NTCA ops, that 3rd party insurance is no longer a requirement for any applications.

Anyway, I leave each individual to deal with CAA inspectors as they please now.

I do know, that even as a field inspector is harrassing me, I will go online with my laptop and start drafting and send an email to ICAO.........

For a jolly flight around the local area, stopping over at local airfields, I will carry with me on my microlight flexwing only the following:

For myself

1. My pilots licence, validated by my signatures as required, and current in terms of expiry dates, attatched medical and showing my type ratings for type being flown and Radio Operators certificate. ps Forget about the fact that page 2 of the licence also requires the licence holder to, and I quote "This licence is only valid if accompanied by a relevant valid medical certificate and applicable flight test" unquote This blatant 'flavour of the day' application of stupid laws is laughable and makes idiots of the authority in question.
2. My pilots log book to reflect my currency in terms of the stupid new law which appears to have been given the green light at the instructors seminar, wherein I am to have flown 5 hours in the previous 12 months otherwise I may not fly until I have had an instructor check me out.....this is an absolute joke(how many pilots actually know about this new law?). Now this is something MISASA can get rid off.. Think about it Alan, if you don't touch a trike for the next 3 years, do you think you will have forgotten how to fly safely?? Of course not..

For the aircraft

1. Valid Authority to Fly (copy therof)
2. Registration certificate (copy therof)
3. Radio licence (only if I have a radio on board, portable or fixed)
4. Flight folio, with relevant doc's in folio
5. Condensed performance date from POH

That's it.

If I am going on a long distance cross country flight, then I will have something to show my planning. No compass, as I intend staying 500AGL and below.

..simply complying with the existing laws. They don't have to be interpreted. They are pretty straight forward.

Cheers.
Last edited by lamercyfly on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Daniel
Email: lamercyfly@gmail.com
Mobile: +27 (0)746495744
grosvenor

Postby grosvenor » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:50 pm

lamercyfly wrote: 2. My pilots log book to reflect my currency in terms of the stupid new law which appears to have been given the green light at the instructors seminar,
This is a really daft idea :shock: If you crash and burn, so does your log book. As part of the post accident investigation, CAA should be looking at your logbook, and a pile of ash is not going to help them. Same reason you may not keep the aircraft logbook on board. Clearly no thought went into this :roll:

Dave G
Dave Grosvenor
www.dreamwings.co.za
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:00 pm

Hello David

I'd like to rephrase the above statement > I'm not sure that the "mag guy" should be answering these questions given the fact that I am neither an instructor nor an AP ...... > Please change to - I'm sure the mag guy should not be... etc

Just thought that I would share what is currently on the table for discussion. Personally, carrying all this stuff plus a ballistic chute makes for my passengers to be about 30cm stall so as to enable us to cut a fine average weight. Imagine 140 pages of Raptor manual, 100 pages of Topless wing manual, weight and balance reports etc etc - I'm looking for a bolt on filing cabinet!

Fly safe
NEMO
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:29 pm

Hya Dave and Alan.

Ja, no well no fine.. what can I say.

What you reckon is daft Dave, the new law or carrying the log-book. Me thinks they're both daft.

But seriously, how will I prove to the inspector at Emoyeni on Sun Morning, that I have flown for 5 hours in the past 12months, so now please sir, let me get into my trike and fly back home to Ballito. Aish! I agree that it was with tongue in cheeck that I said I would have my logbook on board. But pleez, will some-one tell me how I am going to convince the inspector that I have done 5 hours :lol: :lol:

I mean, it is quite plausible, that I have not flown for the past 14 months, and the flight up to Emoyeni was the first 1 hour flight I have done in the past 14 months......... ??? Really, really, and I am grief stricken that I did not scrape up the moola's and make the seminar. Even Andre Swanies wrote me and said "where were you Dawie, it was quiet without you :lol: "

And hey, Alan, you must just ask Manfred to up your Max weight, then you can really throw a spanner in the works... wait for it.... here it comes.....

fly your 550kg MAUW flex-wing trike with an LSA licence.... yes, I have already spoken to Neill de Lange about this... long ago. Because in the Ukraine they use a 3 seater trike on floats to do flips... Ja Boet...

All you have to do is reduce the G rating to +4-2, and you can up your loading to about 500kg... something like that, just work it out :lol: Then you don't have to take dwarfs..

Cheers. Oh! by the way, I agree. I'll stay the Instructor, you write the mag :lol:
David Daniel
alanmack
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby alanmack » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 pm

Deal
fly safe
Last edited by alanmack on Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEMO
lamercyfly
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby lamercyfly » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 am

Cheers
Last edited by lamercyfly on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Daniel