ARE MICROLIGHTS DANGEROUS

Matters of general interest
pilot 4 ever
Pre flight checks done

ARE MICROLIGHTS DANGEROUS

Postby pilot 4 ever » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:13 pm

Hi guys
Why is it that whenever I tell somebody that I am doing my microlights lisense, they say that I must be careful because it is a very dangerous way of flying.
Of course we all have to be careful the way we fly, but for some reason I feel a lot safer in a microlight than a small light aircraft..
Why does everbody say that is dangerous and that if I want to make a career out of flying, I will be wasting my time doing microlights.
My plan is to complete my microlights lisense this year and then start working at the flight school and all the money that I earn, I want to put it into a separate account that will go towards my ppl for choppers.
Can someone please tell me if I am making a mistake or what.
For pilots the sky isnt the limit, its our home......
Carel
Survived first engine out

Re: ARE MICROLIGHTS DANGEROUS

Postby Carel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:27 pm

Hear the same thing everyday (Are your life insurance up to date ?, Get a funeral policy with AVBOB, etc, etc.). Compared to whole spectrum of fatal plane accidents, microlights only have a very small fraction of the total fatal acidents.

Recent studies indicates that flying a or in a 210 Cessna poses the highest risk of accident, not because they are unsafe planes, but becuase of the sheer numbers in operation.

I on the average spend about 30 hours a month a plane (80% of the time a 210) and in ten years only had one incident when the PIC forget to lower the landing gear (Cessna 210 - was a passenger that time). This was the worst incident ever encountered.

In general flying is as safe as Pilot and maintanance on the plane. Enjoy your ML flying.
KFA
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby KFA » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 pm

If you have a dream you must go for it. It's like driving your car at night to a set destination. You know where you are going but you can only see as far as the end of your lights, as you drive along the road is revealed. You might encounter some twists and turns along the way but you will eventually get there. Just keep at it.
Luck-The moment when preparation meets opportunity.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"Opportunity Is Missed By Most Because It Is Dressed in Overalls and Looks Like Work." - Thomas Alva Edison
BUSHPILOTS FLY TAILDRAGGERS
Failure is not the opposite of success, it is the stepping stone for success
slysi
Pilot in Command
Pilot in Command

Postby slysi » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:54 pm

Look I am not a pilot and one of the reasons I have as yet not done my license is that my wife thinks that microlights are extremely dangerous. No amount of persuasion has moved this view. This is unfortunately general public perception, even amongst some pilots that fly fixed wing "blik" type aeries.

In my experience however I have yet to feel unsafe in a trike. Admittedly I have flown with some damn fine pilots but overall my experience has been great.

At the end of the day however all types of flying have inherent risks, as does driving. It all boils down to how the individual chooses to manage those risks. By being meticulous with pre-flights, maintenance and on-going training and also being careful when and how you choose to fly I believe an MPL (and any pilot for that matter) can greatly reduce these risks and consequently match all take offs to landings. Yes, accidents happen, but they can happen anywhere.

So Pilot 4 Ever I do not believe you are making a mistake. Enjoy living your dream!!! Now only if my wife could find the above argument persuasive. (**) ($$) :oops:
Simon
Student Pilot
Carel

Postby Carel » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Slysi - Any way we can change your wife`s perception ?

I just stormed voort, bought a trike. After several months of Arctic weather she is starting to show more interest in the plane. Maybe she will be flying in the next two years.
RV4ker (RIP)
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby RV4ker (RIP) » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:18 pm

Microlights are not dangerooos, Pilots are (regardless of mount). Mpl on way to PPL choppers will not help much, but at least you are flying. Have a look at fixed wing Com and then Woer Woer CPL you get 100hrs discount.

PS
Slysi
Get BRS and show mommy the vid's. My mommy sais I can have one, but must be a "real" 1 like Demon's (4 stroke, with pod, real seat belts and BRS). Now just to win the lotto... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
4 Sale (will trade)
P166S, Jodel, hangar and other odds and sods
Radial - http://tiny.cc/eppqp
Still @ The Coves (Harties) but dream has died
cjkrit
Solo cross country
Solo cross country

Postby cjkrit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:44 pm

I fully agree with what's been said. Respect the weather conditions and know your own limitations.
I fly a Buckeye powered parachute which I regard extremely safe- many will disagree but we all have our own opinions.
South Africa gives more than enough opportunity to fly in good weather- do not take unnecessary risks and if in doubt, stay on the ground.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:55 pm

When you cross a street - do you look right then left then right again and walk across briskly but don't run looking either way all the time till you get to the other side? You do?

Okay - it is a falicy that speed kills - it is how fast you come to a standstill that kills!

Did you know - riding a bicycle - you only need to be travelling at an awesome speed of 13km/h , fall, knock your head on the pavement and it would be fatal without a helmet!

Have you ever checked what goes on in your favourite fast food joint - yes, the one that makes those awesome "hamburgers" - come on, the guy ran out of prime beef, so he picked up some roadkill on the way to work, minced, popped in some lekker spices and Bobs your uncle (or is it your Aunt nowadays!)

First Butter was bad for you, then Margarine, then Both, then Olive Oil was the way to go, then Canola, then Grapeseed extract.... and so on!

You catch my drift.... Living today is dangerous stuff.... Buy a Trike, get your licence ... AND LIVE!
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Trikenut
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Trikenut » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:56 pm

I agree as well.
I have family that tell me, it's dangerous, don't do it etc.
But i feel safer in a trike then say, a Cessna 210.
We all know what happened to Alan Honeyborne ( :cry: )and i will bet no one wants it to happen to them!
We don't want to be (-) (angels) before our time
So fly safe and if in doubt... don't fly! vhpy
Trikenut - Pilot in Training!!!
I love the smell of Avgas in the Morning!
"Beware 16 year old here"
John Young
The Boss
The Boss

ARE MICROLIGHTS DANGEROUS ??

Postby John Young » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:09 pm

demon wrote:That having been said, it is much easier for a microlight to make an emergency or precautionary landing if required, due to their much slower approach and landing speed – a farm track, small field, or flat open space are usually quite adequate.
I recently had a Yak pilot in my office.

He asks “How about a flip?”

I reply “Sure, I will take you anytime.” !!!!

He replies “Are you nuts – in a microlight? They are far too bloody dangerous!” (**) :shock:

I ask “What’s your airspeed over the threshold – about 120mph?”

He says proudly “For sure!!” :shock:

“And your touch down speed?”

Again proudly “75+ mph!!” :shock:

After explaining that a 100m field with power lines on the threshold would be impossible for him, he left scratching his head ….. vhpy vhpy

Regards
John ZU-sEXY
Was a sEXY trike. Now registered as N457YJ
Wargames
Frequent Flyer
Frequent Flyer

Postby Wargames » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:29 pm

demon wrote:In our hangar we have a poster.....

Remember when sex was safe and flying was dangerous :!: :roll:
Hi Demon,

I guess that is why you fly your condom with every time. :wink: :wink:

Nice post about safety. Just one question about the stats. Under the microlight category, is that all microlights or just trikes. If it is all microlights, what do you think is the ratio of trikes of the total??

You will always be just as safe as you want to be. There is no shortcuts when flying. And if you want some shortcuts, go and cut your curlies.

Safe flying.
The Naked Trike
ZU-AVL
"I hate CIRCLIPS!!"
Boet
Three Thousand
Three Thousand

Postby Boet » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:29 pm

Microlight flying is as safe as the PIC makes it. Fly like a hero= Die like a hero. Know your own limitations, and fly accordingly. Get to know your aircraft intimately, and KNOW the limitations af your aircraft. Allways be slightly afraid of flying. You are out of your natural element up there, and if something goes seriously wrong, you are NOT going to come drifting down gently like a piece of thistle-down, no, you will come down VERY fast and very HARD. Cosolation, it will not be the fall that will hurt you, the sudden stop is the cause of all the problems. :shock:

On a positive note: Touch wood, but I notice far fewer accidents reported lately. Do we now fly less as a result of the petrol price, or did we all have a big skrik, and now fly more carefull???? vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy
Chunky
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby Chunky » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:43 pm

I used to race bicycles for a living.......

Shit, if you think microlighting is dangerous, try taking a ride on a bicycle on a public road with 20 Black taxi's. Makes Microlighting look very safe.
John Boucher
The Big Four K
The Big Four K

Postby John Boucher » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:40 pm

Chunky... (^^)

I've seen a few guys looking serious worse for weather at Hospital bend, the rough piece before Scarborough, the stretch just before Noordhoek, in Chapmans and just after Suikerbossie... the worst accident I saw was in the Burger Sanlam on the return piece coming down Contermanskloof (I hit 99km/h down there... thats major speed on an Orbea Onyx!)

Every sport has it's injuries... In aviation it depends on how safe you want it to be!

You get old pilots & you get bold pilots - but YOU DONT GET OLD BOLD PILOTS! (-)
John Boucher
MISASA Chairman 2023
jb.brokers@gmail.com
chairman@misasa.org
A Bushcat is Born - CH 211 C "Super Excited" :evil:
Duck Rogers
Toooooo Thousand
Toooooo Thousand

Postby Duck Rogers » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:00 pm

Boet wrote:Do we now fly less as a result of the petrol price, or did we all have a big skrik, and now fly more carefull???? vhpy vhpy vhpy vhpy
Some of us don't fly at all.......... :roll: :roll:
Airspeed, altitude, or brains....you always need at least two