Accidents - How much do you want to know

Matters of general interest
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:56 am

SB

What you say there sort of underwrites my opinion ... it does not have to take that long for any reason in the whole wide world. If we / someone can come up with a mechanism that's at least acceptably accurate to be used as a knowledge base, we would have partly succeeded.

BTW, if anyone's interested - the self-same database that I referred to in my previous post has only one reference to a L-29 accident (1996) - read the detail yourself and assess the situation if you need to. There are however a much longer list of L-39 accidents - maybe that there are many more of them flying there.

JVR
ACE
I hate turbulence
I hate turbulence

Postby ACE » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:24 pm

Getting factual info back after an accident (like we did with the -ve loading of the wing in the accident outside Pretoria) without undue delay means we can act on it immediately.

I have heard that the Sasol Tiger L-29 report will be released next year !!
A Smith & Wesson beats five Aces
Fairy Flycatcher
The sky is all mine
The sky is all mine

Postby Fairy Flycatcher » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:42 pm

demon wrote:JVR well written, and skybound.
Would it not be great if MISASA (or this forum even) had a mechanism for
reporting incidents, mishaps and accidents (non fatal) anonomously :?:
I am finishing the ARO document over the next week, and have put a lot of emphasis on accident reporting. I feel that people who don't report accidents should be fined, and their licences suspended :evil: . There are many reasons for this. No 1 is that we all need to learn from the accidents. We can always improve on training techniques, weather analysis, designs. There is nothing which is perfect, and there is no-one who knows everything.

Reporting these to the public anonomously is probably a good idea, no need to point fingers at anyone. Just allow people to learn as much as possible.

I am upset at the manufacturers who repair aircraft, knowing that no accident report was filed, and schools who encourage people not to file accident reports make me even madder. :evil:
If someone (hello JVR or FF) could set up a forum for anonomous reports, and post the (edited) facts (cause, result, how to avoid stuff) in a possible "accident/incident report forum", I am sure many of us could benefit from this shared knowledge :?: :idea:
Just an idea.......
I like the idea very much, Dustie. Are you going to give us a seperate section on this forum for that?
Annie
www.comefly.co.za
Flying is a hard way to earn an easy living
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:11 pm

Fairy Flycatcher wrote:
demon wrote: Would it not be great if MISASA (or this forum even) had a mechanism for
reporting incidents, mishaps and accidents (non fatal) anonomously :?:

Reporting these to the public anonomously is probably a good idea, no need to point fingers at anyone. Just allow people to learn as much as possible.

I like the idea very much, Dustie. Are you going to give us a seperate section on this forum for that?
Yep, we will have to depend on one of the Moderators / SysAdmin to set this one up. I'm willing to offer help iro websurfing (AOPA, etc.), getting their permission to use documentation locally, maybe editing & adapting such docs, etc. & submit to some form of "approval" process or audit, etc. - you know, create some form of knowledge base, with a slightly more local flavour perhaps, but still useful as a reference mechanism. Just don't tell me boss that I be using supposed productive time to serve my own needs now !!!

Hell, I have a (private, subjective) opinion that many "local flight schools", as good as some of their documentation & manuals may be, could actually get their instructors to at least make mention of this type of stuff to Newbies, or must each of us always be recreating the wheel from scratch?

We live in the information age, don't we?

JVR
FAWGie
Top Gun
Top Gun

Postby FAWGie » Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:54 pm

Kinda like the statement.. "Help me help you..."
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:31 pm

Have a look at the Poll in the Ideas, etc. forum - I have no ability or idea as to how to create additional forums, etc. on the site - that is best left to the guys that run it & know how it operates.

Just offering to try & help with what I can ... so ... Help me to help you ...
C205
Nothing beats flying
Nothing beats flying

Postby C205 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:09 am

CAA's website http://www.caa.co.za has accident/incident reports from 1997 until the end of last year. Makes for interesting reading.
Quicksilver MXII ZS-VAP
Quicksilver MXII ZU-BOW
FAWI 123.5
ZU-JVR
Found a flight school

Postby ZU-JVR » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:36 am

Problem with the CAA site's reports are that they are individual .PDF files which does not allow you much search ability. BTW, if you do ever need an older acccident report, they are still available from the CAA without too much fuss - I managed (at no cost) to get a good photocopy of a full report dating back to 1987 from them not too long ago.

The AOPA ASF site has a searchable (aeroplane type, etc etc etc) database, which makes for a much better "research" tool. This was my sort of thoughts - to get something like that up&running, maybe aprtly based on the CAA factual files, maybe partly based on individual experience, etc etc.

I agree with Demon - let's see what the masses may sanction.

JVR
krusty
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high
Woohoo 100 posts - flying high

Postby krusty » Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:49 pm

I'm perfectly happy and willing to setup such a site on one of my existing domains. IMHO, a knowledgebase is best setup as a wiki such as my site (http://www.aerowiki.com). If required, I can do this without any problem.

(What I like about a wiki is that ANYBODY can edit it and it is a collaborative project - you can add to somebody else's entry)
http://www.adultlounge.co.za
Ignore my spelling, I'm probably drunk.